YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

Hand of Yawgmoth

• Nascenti
  • Suthenti
  • Curse Likaro!
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 21, 2017, 07:12:05 am »
Has anyone else read "Heroes Die"? Because Bayrne [sorry if I misspelled it, I listened to it and google fails me] is an amazing man who knows what life is all about. He wants to do everything there is and enjoy every fragment of existence. He's probably my favorite villain behind the Inchoroi!
To know is to have power over the world. To believe is to have power over men.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2017, 02:50:12 pm »
Quote from:  Hands of Yawgmoth
Has anyone else read "Heroes Die"? Because Bayrne [sorry if I misspelled it, I listened to it and google fails me] is an amazing man who knows what life is all about. He wants to do everything there is and enjoy every fragment of existence. He's probably my favorite villain behind the Inchoroi!

He's a great villain. Its been a few years since I read that series, but he gets even better in the second book, if you could believe it. That's a great series, until the 3rd or 4th book, I can't remember, but it started to get a forced in my opinion.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2017, 02:53:14 pm »
Also, I am currently reading The Red Knight, by Myles Cameron. I'm really enjoying it and have heard a lot of good stuff about the series as a whole. The last book just came out. So I'm gonna read a few of these the go back to the Gap Cycle by Donaldson.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Hand of Yawgmoth

• Nascenti
  • Suthenti
  • Curse Likaro!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 22, 2017, 09:11:58 am »
I just bought Red Knight on audible. I've heard good things, and I'll get around to it by the end of the month.
To know is to have power over the world. To believe is to have power over men.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2017, 03:37:33 pm »
35% complete with Gardens of the Moon. I really like it. Picks up big time in Darujistahn. :D
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 23, 2017, 07:56:13 pm »
Quote from:  Hands of Yawgmoth

He's a great villain. Its been a few years since I read that series, but he gets even better in the second book, if you could believe it. That's a great series, until the 3rd or 4th book, I can't remember, but it started to get a forced in my opinion.

I also listened, but found the name for you. Berne.
Quite entertaining book, though I've only read the first so far. Recommended.

35% complete with Gardens of the Moon. I really like it. Picks up big time in Darujistahn. :D
Enjoyed the series, if it did go on a bit. Lots of love/hate for it around here :) .
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #261 on: November 02, 2017, 05:54:39 pm »
Over 40% done with Gardens of the Moon. Here are my reaction posts: https://divinesong.tumblr.com/tagged/Malazan

Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 02, 2017, 06:39:50 pm »
Over 40% done with Gardens of the Moon. Here are my reaction posts: https://divinesong.tumblr.com/tagged/Malazan

Haha, I strongly recommend waiting until the end of each book before giving your review, or keep this in mind: Erikson likes to use the first 50%-75% of the book as buildup, like the start of a rollercoaster up the first big hill. Then you hit the crest, and it becomes a wild and crazy ride to the end.

Also, its a good thing you like Kruppe. Some people really are bothered by him, but he tends to be good comic relief throughout
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:41:31 pm by Wilshire »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 03, 2017, 12:20:53 am »
Agree 100% with Wilshire. I think its why you hear a lot of complaints about Malazan. But, every book is seemingly the same. All whole lot of set up throughout for a huge pay off at the end. Toll the Hounds was imho, the best action packed book of them all. But, you've got a long road ahead til then. A fun road, albeit.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #264 on: November 03, 2017, 12:48:57 am »
Well, I'm still interested, but I'm going a bit slower now. Can't wait for the "pay off" in Darujhistan.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 03, 2017, 01:13:33 am »
Well, I'm still interested, but I'm going a bit slower now. Can't wait for the "pay off" in Darujhistan.

Its worth it. I was glad I stuck with it. But, the usual complaints like keeping track of names and such has never hindered me. I just keep reading til I get "who's who". I've seen people complain about having to check the glossary because of who they are and where there at and why its all so confusing. I just plough through. Never understood those kinda complaints. Now pacing and such I can understand. But, as Wilshire says, its how all the Malazan books are set up.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 03, 2017, 02:18:43 pm »
Toll the Hounds
Though most of the books are great in their own right, Book 8, Toll the Hounds, was probably the best in the series. He really nailed it with that, coupled with plenty of big reveals to make the preceding 7 novels entirely worth the journey. Each book has its goods and bads, but every book uses the first half as build up - if you stop before the end of any book, you'll have done yourself a disservice imo (partly because half a Malazan book is at least 1-2 books of normal size lol)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 02:25:43 pm by Wilshire »

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 03, 2017, 05:13:15 pm »
Weird. I remember GotM being pretty fast paced. Anyway, Deadhouse Gates is the real deal. Just wait for it.  :( :( :'( :'(    ( Emojis are relevant. ) .
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 03, 2017, 09:05:50 pm »
Dora Bed, when you're done I highly recommend ICE's new trilogy, starti g with Dancer's Lament. Which tells how the Malazn Empire came into being and how Shadowthrone and Cotillion met. The 1st book was great and I was never a huge fan of ICE. But, his writing is so much better in this series than anything else I've read of his. I loved the 1st book as much or more than any of his Malazan books. Who h there was I few I really enjoyed, but others I read just because I rarely quit on a book. Look into them after your done.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #269 on: November 03, 2017, 09:42:54 pm »
I intend to. I intend to read all the other Malazan books once I'm done with the main series.