Other Titles > Neuropath

Neil to Kellhus

(1/2) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---White-Luck Warrior Spoilers:

I had this conversation with some friends years ago - though they'd never read Bakker's works so much of the context was lost on them.

I've had versions of this revelation before but haven't reread Neuropath since the forum's advent - as I find myself knee deep in Bible's world again (I usually do this when I'm feeling stressed out), I thought to exercise this forum.

For a long time, I've considered Neil and Kellhus two sides of the same coin. Except today, my brain spawned the interesting narrative connection that perhaps Kellhus is Neil's understudy, rather than his equal.

The Dunyain have effectively trained, practiced, to minimize the inherent effects of Darkness That Comes Before. Neil simply turns off the epiphenomenal circuits.

This could be why Kellhus wants the Tekne. He knows that he suffers vestigial remnants of being innately biological Worldborn, after all.

Thoughts?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: lockesnow ---yup
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---I'll riff on that and go one further - he does have vestigial human traits - BUT he thinks he no longer does. He DOES want the tekne - but in order to convert everyone else (perhaps by some airbourne vector). And when/if he does, although he is mad, he'll end up the last human alive. Perhaps closing the gates against the god-thingies.
--- End quote ---

Duskweaver:
If anything, Neil and Kellhus feel like opposites to me. Neil has given up on becoming a self-moving soul, because the Argument proves that the Dunyain's quest is impossible. IMO, Neil is more like...

Neil Cassidy
Nau-Cayuti
No-Christ

The annointed martyr-messiah who awakens the No-God. He dies to bring about the semantic apocalypse. The revelation that sets you free from the illusion of meaning.

Madness:
I like this:

--- Quote from: Duskweaver on January 28, 2014, 02:14:18 pm ---The annointed martyr-messiah who awakens the No-God. He dies to bring about the semantic apocalypse. The revelation that sets you free from the illusion of meaning.

--- End quote ---

But...

--- Quote from: Duskweaver on January 28, 2014, 02:14:18 pm ---If anything, Neil and Kellhus feel like opposites to me. Neil has given up on becoming a self-moving soul, because the Argument proves that the Dunyain's quest is impossible.
--- End quote ---

I'm curious about your distinctions here? I don't follow. (I have personally made the argument elsewhere that Neil and Kellhus are opposite ends of a spectrum but before I exposite I would like to know more.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version