• 134 Replies

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 09:52:09 am »
My best crackpot is that Moe is her father.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 10:30:28 am »
Yeah, but how would he get into Sumna with his swazonds? My crackpot is Maithanet.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 10:42:45 am »
Maithanet is actually a really good guess. Moenghus the Elder conditioned Kellhus' wife?

And notation, though we also don't know the rules of this mechanism very well, but Moenghus the Elder can use the third category of sorcery, Glamours, to affect the appearance, or perhaps of the physicality, of things...

The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 01:55:10 pm »
Seems a bit far fetched. To have conditioned Esmenet so that she ends up Kellhus's wife, he must have conditioned Achamian and the Consult as well.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 02:07:01 pm »
Lol nerdanels abound, Nskoghar.

I always wonder whether or not Moenghus' knowledge of Thousandfold Thought includes a Mandati following the Holy War - Or did Moenghus' probability trance assume that Kellhus would only get the Anagogis from the Scarlet Spires?

But Moenghus must have wondered, even anticipated, how the Consult might react to any of his preparations for Kellhus.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 02:21:05 pm »
@ Alia - I remember now, you did point that out!  So Mimara's dad must Norsirai.  I guess it could be another Dunyain agent at large.  I'm going blank--are the Scylvendi also fair?

Maithanet as Mimara's dad?  Does that work out time-wise?

@ Curethan - Moe as her dad--She is a true Anasurimbor!  When it is revealed that she is the blood of his most hated foe, will Akka turn the gnosis on her?

@ Madness & Nskoghar - In my head it's a competition of unlikelys.  I just find it so enormously unlikely that one and only one woman can produce children for K and that she's in the right place at the right time.  I find it more likely that teams of Cishaurim/Psukhe are operating in shadows (like at Caraskand).

Either that or it's all the gods!  The gods conditioned Esmi and the a god is Mimara's father!

It's Ajokli

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 02:51:05 pm »
Scylvendi have fair skins and dark hair - but I don't think it is possible. How would any of them get into Sumna, in the middle of Nansurian Empire? And AFAIR Esmi herself has never left Sumna before deciding to follow Akka.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 03:44:13 pm »
And AFAIR Esmi herself has never left Sumna before deciding to follow Akka.

Truth.

But Esmenet does recall a penchant for Norsirai men... and Norsirai and Scylvendi are the only fair-skinned tribes.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 04:06:32 pm »
So, I think it's highly probable (and also feasible) that Mimara's father was a Norsirai. Scylvendi - not so much.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 11:09:02 pm »
Esmenet may not be as low caste as she thinks. Her mother was a witch, afterall--perhaps a very prominent or powerful witch--and dunyain persuasion could have led to Esmenet's path to Sumna and becoming a prostitute there being conditioned.  It seems unlikely that her mother would not teach Esmenet, risks be damned, such knowledge has to be fiercely protected, highly secretive and valuable and naturally matrilineal, in not teaching her, her mother is not just protecting her, she is letting down her own mother and grandmother, she is risking the abandonment of two thousand years or more of ancestors all who passed the knowledge down mother to daughter mother to daughter.

And then there's the name which is the exact name of the wife of the prophet.  Dunyain influence in her naming?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:10:35 pm by locke »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 12:08:09 pm »
You know, I never really wonder after Esmenet's past too much. I simply assume that she's not some random - and I really enjoy our "Celmomas' line is preserved through his daughters" thoughts in Last Scion speculation.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 03:53:09 pm »
Straight up crazy--Esmi's mom was simply a Dunyain.  Dunyain have never been so isolated as they conditioned Kellhus to think.  Lots of Ketyai Dunyain in a different part of Ishual/different mountain fortress.  Dunyain & Co run a successful caravan company for whatever news/supplies/bodies they need from the south.  Stop in Atrithau to make it look legit.  :P

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 04:24:16 pm »
Actually, MG, the Last Scion, Celmomas' matrilineal line, etc, stands apart from the Dunyain. Because we can't seem to figure out how the Dunyain are actually the product of Celmomas' line... the Dunyain are the False Line of Anasurimbor (still Anasurimbor but not Celmomas' descendents as our best guess is that Ganrelka is Celmomas' brother, rather than son, making the Dunyain Anasurimbor Bastard, Celmomas' Nephew, not one of his "seed.")
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SkiesOfAzel

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 10:42:06 am »
Mimara's father was a Kidruhil, thus probably a Nansur noble and not a Norsirai. If Mimara is an Anasurimbor it's easy to explain why she has lighter skin, the Norsirai genes simply skipped a generation.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 12:38:57 pm »
Esmenet may not be as low caste as she thinks. Her mother was a witch, afterall--perhaps a very prominent or powerful witch--and dunyain persuasion could have led to Esmenet's path to Sumna and becoming a prostitute there being conditioned.  It seems unlikely that her mother would not teach Esmenet, risks be damned, such knowledge has to be fiercely protected, highly secretive and valuable and naturally matrilineal, in not teaching her, her mother is not just protecting her, she is letting down her own mother and grandmother, she is risking the abandonment of two thousand years or more of ancestors all who passed the knowledge down mother to daughter mother to daughter.

And then there's the name which is the exact name of the wife of the prophet.  Dunyain influence in her naming?

Reading the future in the stars!  Another science Kellhus would be sure to have figured out completely!