Earwa > The No-God

TNG- Your expectations and wants

<< < (2/12) > >>

Frail:
PLOT: I would like to see a few POV from characters from different nations that experience TNG's awakening. People forming alliances around whether Kellhus was a *false prophet or a martyr. I would like Akka Mimara and Esmi to have some meaningful impact on the rest of the story. I want to see TNG destroy a city or nation and have a POV character flee that event.

GENERAL: More reflections of events and characters causing events rather than larger than life things just... happening. Not that the latter is worse, but PoN felt more grounded.

Madness:

--- Quote from: MSJ on November 09, 2017, 03:29:35 pm ---And, I would hope that Bakker not leave so much on the table as he did in TUC. Example- The Akka and Kellhus meeting. Wow. I was expecting some huge reveals and it was set up nicely, only to have Kellhus shrug and walk away. Bad form in my opinion.
--- End quote ---

I actually thought the anticlimactic nature of that scene perfect, except Bakker shouldn't have italicized "fell to his knees" (too overt a call back for long-term readers, in my opinion).

The only thing left untied there, so far as I'm concerned, is why Kellhus was interested in Achamian's changing Dreams.

--- Quote from: MSJ on November 09, 2017, 03:29:35 pm ---He needs to bounce back with something new, but the same ol'Bakker style. He did say he was for the first time in his life a discovery writer. Which, regardless of how so many here feel, I think a little girl of his might have an impact on what he thinks human are capable of and what he would want humankind to do.
--- End quote ---

I think his "discovery writer" comments have to do with TNG directly. After all, we could argue that all his shorts and standalones were written in "discovery" mode, though - as per what's available - that might not seem a positive indication.

--- Quote from: TLEILAXU on November 09, 2017, 04:55:32 pm ---First and foremost, like others have mentioned, a better editor. I don't mind purple prose, but it gets too purple at times. Also, I don't mind ambiguity, but it seems Bakker is almost engaging in ambiguity for ambiguity's sake. I don't like the style of saying Shaeönanra is dead and then teasing he might possess the Mutilated in the AMA without any real answer or hint to more conclusive evidence.

Also, we need Mutilated flashbacks.

--- End quote ---

An editor at all is better than no editor. At Zaudunyanicon he mentioned that Overlook actually just outsourced his editing for TGO/TUC after the longtime editor familiar with his books quit circa new year 2014.

Also, he didn't specifically say either that "Shaeönanra is dead and then teasing he might possess the Mutilated in the AMA" or in the text. He simply commented twice that readers seemed to have "missed something" (bp). It was jurble and a number of others here and at Westeros who created this possession narrative.

Otherwise, at Zaudunyanicon we were given a big ol' RAFO regarding Shauriatas' fate.

Dora Vee:

--- Quote ---Bakker shouldn't have italicized "fell to his knees" (too overt a call back for long-term readers, in my opinion).
--- End quote ---

I don't think that was a call-back, but rather Achamian willing to do whatever it takes to save Proyas. :(

MSJ:

--- Quote from: Dora Vee ---I don't think that was a call-back, but rather Achamian willing to do whatever it takes to save Proyas. :(
--- End quote ---

Ummm, call back all the way. When Akka refutes Kellhus and Kellhus says, "You will kneel", its nothing but a call back. Everyone had been waiting on that moment. Wether it was for Proyas's sake doesn't matter.

Dora Vee:
Oh yea, fair enough. I do remember the end of TTT. Just that, I can see why it was emphasized.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version