What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: May 14, 2013, 08:56:37 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
Post it here.
Can't seem to get img tags working so here's a link.
http://juandahlmann.wordpress.com/2010/03/28/serbian-cover-art-for-two-of-scott-bakkers-prince-of-nothing-books/

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:56:42 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
I quite like them! Shame the commenters don't. But it's interesting to see what are interelated ideas not only take an actual form in someone elses mind but actually depict it in physical form. Seeing how it comes to life/how the in between details come to life is interesting! :)

And I find the big, bleeding, scary eye to be scary!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 08:56:47 pm »
Quote from: Madness
I thought Achamian was black or Arabian or something. As is Esmenet lol. (Second cover must be Achamian engaging the Imperial Saik at Shimeh).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 08:56:51 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
This is the sort of shit Bakker needs a website for. :)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 08:56:56 pm »
Quote from: Sideris
I thought Achamian was black or Arabian or something. As is Esmenet lol. (Second cover must be Achamian engaging the Imperial Saik at Shimeh).

They're both Arabian-esque in skin tone and features, like most Ketyai. All the permutations therein count.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:01 pm »
Quote from: Jorge
Those covers are not good. The first one is passable, although it would make me hesitant to buy the book (the old adage continues to stand).

As for the second... I've seen better art on the front of 3rd party D&D modules for fuck's sake. The woman on the second book is a hypersexualized cartoon like something out of a bad 80s band cd cover.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:06 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
I know, right.  But it's nice to see something. :p I wonder how sales went in Serbia.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:10 pm »
Hypersexualised? Really? I mean, they had just been having...sex? I'll be cheeky - perhaps she could be wearing a large black sheet to cover her, then it would be... ;)

Granted, picking that one seems a bit selective, taking a genuine scene as perhaps an attempted sexual draw card.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:15 pm »
Callan, when people like ACM complain about women being objectified in genre, covers like that give her complaints validity and credibility.

Thankfully, all the covers in the West have been top-notch.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:19 pm »
Jorge, please go back to... the 90's or earlier and pick up any Western science fiction, and many fantasy, novels and it seems all of them with male protagonists - a large percentage of those genres - have, what you so helpfully dubbed, hypersexualized imagery.

Unless, of course, that was sarcasm. Damn intraweb.

Now, perhaps, things like this justify ACM's perspective - which, at this point, might as well simply represent the very moniker of Epitomized Feminism rather than the person herself in our discussions  - but within the contexts of the discussions you seem to have, why should she be treated as anything more than an animal, a Feminist creature?

I mean, she's getting angry at some hardwiring that you seem to agree - not an opinion I necessarily hold - is going prove our lack of conscious agency. Men are just playing the cards they're dealt. She might as well get angry at her period, right? [Sarcasm :)]

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:26 pm »
Jorge, please go back to... the 90's or earlier and pick up any Western science fiction, and many fantasy, novels and it seems all of them with male protagonists - a large percentage of those genres - have, what you so helpfully dubbed, hypersexualized imagery.

You misunderstood me. I meant BAKKER'S covers in the West.

Damn ambiguities.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:32 pm »
Excepting those ones with the face... IMO. Not hypersexualized. Just not good.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:36 pm »
Jorge, ACM's point is to enforce absolutely zero compromise with other groups of humans over certain issues. I guess in regards to so called female 'circumcision' I'm a no compromise person as well, I'll have to admit. But in terms of this cover - it's hit a no compromise point already? Really? Akka is far more naked...no, still hit a point of no compromise? (and I'd pay I'd like Esme to be shooting dragon ball z blasts as well, but A: it's a patriarchal society and b: ironically to be patriarchal is to get the mark/be damned.)

It doesn't grant validity and credulence to her point, unless the person is inclined towards an utterly intollerant and zero compromise position anyway.

I think it'd be cooler if she was facing towards the enemy, keeping a theme of everyones back is to the camera (except the opposition) the first cover had. Indeed the contrast of that to the western covers, where the characters faces are right in your face and that's ALL you can see, is an interesting contrast.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:41 pm »

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:46 pm »
Very neat man. These guys inspired me to draw a skin spy the other day but I'm still rounding out his body. Posting it soon.

I have none of your natural talent though. While the Ark moved me, I liked the shot of Moenghus? that you did.