Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2014, 05:56:23 pm »
Further thoughts

That straight line distance is about 2/3 of the length of the spot I mentioned above (talking absolute distance on the map, no to-scale or whatever). 200 miles is 600% smaller than what I figured with the above calculations.

I wouldn't have an issue with it, except that this makes all of Earwa about the size of Europe, and this isn't consistent with other references from outside of the text. Without the interviews, it would be fine, since there are so few references to absolute distances in the text, but with the interviews, there are inconsistencies.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:01:40 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2014, 07:36:53 pm »
Yeah, I've just run across a passage from TJE, wherein the distance from Sakarpus to Golgotterath is mentioned as being over 2000 miles.  Based on the maps from the books, Swaranul/Irsulor are about half the distance from Sakarpus to Golgotterath.  For arguments sake, let's say that's roughly 1000 miles.

The GO was in Sakarpus in Early Spring, and by the time they hit Irsulor, it is Summer.  Because we have no Earwan calendar to go on, a day-is-a-week-is-a-month-is-a-season-is-a-year as we (the reader) can relate to them.  Scott uses terms like Early Spring, Late Autumn, etc.  So we can break time increments down to:
Early Winter, Winter, Late Winter, Early Spring, Spring, Late Spring, Early Summer, Summer, Late Summer, Early Autumn, Autumn, and Late Autumn.  That gives us 12 designations for relative time-keeping.  So we have Early Spring, Spring, Late Spring, Early Summer, Summer (5 time increments) for the travel time between Sakarpus and Irsulor.  Again, we don't know how long an Earwan year is, so this next part is all conjecture.  Just say, again for arguments sake, that each of the 12 designations is 30 days.  30 days x 5 increments = 150 days from Sakarpus to Irsulor (1000 miles), giving an average of 6.66 miles traveled every day.  That's probably fairly accurate as an average for an army of that size.  Some days there was no travel at all, battles, whatever, whereas other days they probably were able to go farther than that.  If the days are shortened to 25 per designation, that's 25 days x 5 increments = 125 days, averaging 8 miles per day, which also sounds reasonable.  There are obviously many other factors here, but all we can do is spitball it.

At that scale (1000 miles from Sakarpus to Irsulor), the distance from Aoknyssus to Attrempus is closer to 300 miles, which is a pretty heavy discrepancy, as well.  So, not sure what to do in terms of adding a scale to the map, tbh.

EDIT:  This brings up another subject.  If it took the Great Ordeal 2 books to get half the way to Golgotterath, how the hell are they gonna make it there by the end of TUC??
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:40:18 pm by Somnambulist »
No whistling on the slog!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2014, 07:48:27 pm »
Maybe adding the scale was a bad idea. To many inconsistencies.

They'll get there by not fighting until  Dagliash. Maybe even a time skip. Otherwise, the first half of the book will basically be a rehash of the first half of their journey. I'm guessing that most of that will be cut out, so that the focus will be from Dagliash to Golgotterath.

That, or there is a true contest somewhere in Agongorea or elsewhere, way before Golgotterath, an TGO never gets there. Then much of the book will be the disastrous retreat back to TTS

Francis Buck

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2014, 11:32:40 pm »
I think TUC will end up covering quite a bit of time. In addition to what Wilshire mentioned, it seems likely that as the army moves forward, it gradually gets smaller (casualties building up), and thus is able to move faster. I personally think there's a strong possibility that the army that actually reaches Golgotterath will be quite small, with a large portion of it being sorcerers. In particular, I think it will be small enough that every non-sorcerer has access to a Chorae.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2014, 05:50:51 pm »
Updates to the map.  Added a couple of towns to Nansur, corrected spelling of Osthwai, corrected the Phayus and Shaul river systems in Nansur.  Also added the scale.  Based on the info Wilshire and I went over, it's approximate at best.  The distance from Aoknyssus to Attrempus is now shown at about 250 miles (more than the book's claimed 200), while the distance from Sakarpus to Golgotterath is around 1700 miles (less than the book's claimed 2000).  However, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think the GO would need to take detours here and there, seeking fordable points in rivers, going around geographical features, etc. that would push the journey closer to that 2000 mile 'goal.'  Regardless, I like having the scale on there.  It's as likely to be inaccurate as anything else on the map, but it should be relatively close to 'true.'  Anyway, thanks to those who commented and offered up corrections.

http://spiralhorizon.deviantart.com/art/Earwa-4109-sm-489666427

Garet Jax

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2014, 05:57:00 pm »
Awesome, Som... Simply awesome.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2014, 06:00:25 pm »
Thank you! I love this map.

Now to find a way to make it a decent desktop wallpaper.

Francis Buck

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2014, 07:09:22 pm »
Thank you! I love this map.

Now to find a way to make it a decent desktop wallpaper.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing. Map is amazing, I can spend a lot of time looking at this.

Davias

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2014, 07:34:51 am »
Fantastic job, the map is looking really nice.
Maybe with a darker colouring for the background or the mountains and stylised fonts it would fitting the gritty atmosphere of the series a little better ;)

Garet Jax

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2014, 03:23:44 pm »

Minor nitpick, or suggestion, if you will.

(click to show/hide)

EDIT: Move along, nothing to see here...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:14:27 pm by Garet Jax »

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2014, 04:36:49 pm »

Minor nitpick, or suggestion, if you will.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Garet Jax

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2014, 05:01:41 pm »
Details...  Thank you for pointing out my stupidity and lack of attention to detail.  :P

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2014, 04:10:35 pm »
No, not at all.  I've been informed of several mistakes already, and expect there to be many more (on my part).  I've been re-reading the books (on TWP right now), and have already made numerous small adjustments based on the text.  Please, keep looking!  My goal is to make this map definitive, so any and all comments are welcome.  Cheers!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2014, 05:12:34 pm »
any plans to try and add some of the major roads? I know a few are mentioned between Sumna and Momemn, but can't recall mention of many others.

Bogobor

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2014, 05:50:35 pm »
Forbidden Road, Karian Way, Pon Way, Sogian Way (Encyclopedic G.)