N. K. Jemisin's Broken Earth Series [Spoilers]

• 20 Replies

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 02:45:45 am »
http://www.tor.com/2017/08/16/nk-jemisin-the-fifth-season-tv-adaptation-in-development/

So, there could be a TV show coming. I need to read these books soon.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 07:30:42 pm »
Just got book and it's a pretty short one, Don't you think?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 11:49:27 am »
Just got book and it's a pretty short one, Don't you think?

I don't know that I'd call 400 pages short, but that's not particularly long either.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 02:37:10 pm »
H, my man, so why haven't we discussed anything here? Huh? Very good book, imo, with some details that didn't make some sense. Like why wasn't Essa confronted by any of the stone eaters in the finale, didn't make much sense on some levels as many wanted an end. Overall, I enjoyed it though. I'll tell you when authors are pushed to make publishing dates you do see a dip in quality.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 11:05:11 am »
H, my man, so why haven't we discussed anything here? Huh? Very good book, imo, with some details that didn't make some sense. Like why wasn't Essa confronted by any of the stone eaters in the finale, didn't make much sense on some levels as many wanted an end. Overall, I enjoyed it though. I'll tell you when authors are pushed to make publishing dates you do see a dip in quality.

Yeah, I felt like a bit of the ending didn't really make too much sense, like the Stone Eaters leaving them alone, but honestly by the end, I was a bit checked out of the "now" storyline.  I think the past story of who Hoa was and what happened to the moon in the first place was more interesting.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 05:45:17 pm »
So, book three, The Stone Sky, won both the Hugo and the Nebula, putting it in a very select group.

This is odd because its one of the very rare books that achieved this with a sequel that didn't have a previous installment on the list.

But regardless, my experience with that short list in particular is that the books tend to be very politically slanted. I'm not sure the book deserved its position by its own merits, but I think its definitely something that politically/culturally fits for the times, and therefore appearing on the list is reasonable .

IMO, the first book was the best, then the last, then the middle. This is a common trend I'm seeing with trilogies, and something I've come to expect.

The very end was touching, if predictable, and I agree with H that the worldbuilding "past" stories from Hoa ended up being more interesting than "current day".

There's definitely great commentary on the nature of subjugation, racism, and institutionalized violence/hate. Commentary that was built into the world, and not highly visible from the start, making its way into later books once the ground was set. The first book had the most interesting exploration of magic, despite later books adding in new layers, and I found myself wishing for some more involved Magic Duels. But magic wasn't what the book was about, and I think largely Jemisin accomplished what she set out to do.

Its a quick read, compared to some of the other books I've been reading, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence. Its a great fantasy story.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:52:45 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.