Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #180 on: June 17, 2014, 05:25:33 pm »
Damn... would it be possible to make a little thinner and taller and a little less black at the top?

And perhaps (if we can do two sided somehow) www.rscottbakker.com and www.second-apocalypse.com wouldn't hurt either? Though, I guess then people wouldn't search "Who are the Dûnyain?" themselves...

Maybe scratch the url thoughts.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 17, 2014, 05:27:49 pm »
I think RSB's site is a good idea.

Also, is the black and white map on his site any better?:
http://www.rscottbakker.com/fan-resources/

Edit:
actually, I'm on the fence about the website.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:30:02 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #182 on: June 17, 2014, 05:53:07 pm »
Somna this fucking rocks.  Bakker's not only the best fantasy writers, he's got the best fans.  Will Neil Gaiman be jealous that no one's doing this for him?  :P

Other authors?
Cormac McCarthy
Michael Moorcock
Glen Cook
Peter Watts
Daniel Abraham
Robert Howard
Jeff Vandermeer
Patrick Rothfuss
Jim Butcher
Mark Lawrence
Christopher Paolini
Lev Grossman
Susanna Clarke

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 17, 2014, 07:23:36 pm »
I think a website address would be good.  Is it bad to want to put the Second Apocalypse forum over Bakker's?  lol  Is that blasphemy??  :)

Madness:  Sure, I'll fiddle with the dimensions.  Only factor in making it 2-sided is cost.  My local UPS store has a pretty good color copier that can do 2-sided pretty well.  I imagine the BW one would work just as well.  Other locations should be the same.  Just the cost factor, I guess.  Obviously, a 'real' print shop could do it, but again, costlier.  I can certainly do up some versions that are color/2-sided if people want.

Wilshire:  That's where I got the first one, so... nope.

Cheers, MrG.  I think they're just okay.  Trying to give them some time, but make them simple and effective.  Don't know if I'm succeeding, but...  anyway.
No whistling on the slog!

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 17, 2014, 07:32:41 pm »
latest

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 17, 2014, 07:49:25 pm »
By far my favorite so far.

Don't worry, I kind of wanted to put us on there too :P. Bakker's site is just so much less interesting than us here! .. Both? Neither? Each has its own to offer. Bakker's page is at least professional and pretty obvious what its for. Our forum is more useful for actually interacting with people, but might a bit overwhelming for a newbie.

The only with with branding it, either way, is it kind of removes the "mystery" bit that I think Madness was going for. On the up side, it removes Google ambiguities. On that note, perhaps we should make a Wikipedia page lol.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2014, 12:30:34 pm »
The only with with branding it, either way, is it kind of removes the "mystery" bit that I think Madness was going for. On the up side, it removes Google ambiguities. On that note, perhaps we should make a Wikipedia page lol.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't keep the .com on the bookmarks I slip out. Considering the number of books stores I can cover myself (which actually are a fair amount for one person), it probably wouldn't take long before someone had the opportunity to identify me as the "perpetrator."

Without branding, there is absolutely no blow-back on anyone but the people specifically "donating" bookmarks to different books ;).

EDIT: I really like the idea of us being pompous enough to describe what we're doing on a wiki page like "Frodo Lives!"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:32:11 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Garet Jax

« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2014, 01:44:35 pm »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2014, 01:47:28 pm »
That's great GJ. 4 per page will cut down on costs.

A wiki might get some google hits... SR needs to learn me how that works (google hits).

We could basically just copy the Frodo Lives wiki, replace any references to Tolkein to Bakker and "Who are the dunyain". Link all the fan resources as references: twitter, both wikia's, this site, ZTS, TPB, reddit, Bakker's site, wikiquotes, tvtropes... Maybe use Somna/Quinth's artwork to spruce it up.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2014, 02:00:21 pm »
Here's the version without the url, per Madness' suggestion.  These are just screen resolution captures, so let me know when you are happy with the product and I can provide a printer's PDF for production.  Will be cleaner than using what I post here.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2014, 02:02:10 pm »
Yeah, I think it should be basically a satirical yet informative version of the "Frodo Lives!" page.

Lol - thanks, Somnambulist.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2014, 02:07:47 pm »
Well, at least to start, we could go with no branding.

After some time we could go then start using ones with this website, to give people a place to actually go. The point is to bring people here and get them to read the books, so putting this site shouldn't be an issue.

Its not like its going to be a secret what we are attempting. Its all detailed here in the topic :P.

Anyway, once we finalize a design, we still need to work on having the google search actual point to someplace useful, which isn't what it is doing right now. There is yet work to be done before the bookmarks should be printed, or we'll lose people due to our lack of organization.

A wiki to write, a FAQ to post, metadata to tag... The list grows.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2014, 02:11:21 pm »
Actually, someone around my campus did this same kind of thing, though with chalk. A group wrote some number, might have been 311, all over campus, and no one knew wtf it was. After a few weeks they started providing a website underneath the numbers, and I bet it worked out pretty well. Everyone was curious to find out what it was.

Problem for us in Dunyain is unique enough for people to get results in google that are specific to the books, but potentially not good jumping off points for a newbie, thus my suggesting to wait for a bit until everything gets straightened out.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2014, 02:29:07 pm »
Also, we don't know how long it will take for enough people to find the bookmarks for a buzz to build.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2014, 02:35:05 pm »
It might be difficult to "build a buzz" because people probably don't frequent bookstores. Most people will encounter the bookmarks maybe once or twice in a few weeks time. After month I imagine the staff will have noticed something, and I don't know if that is good or bad.
I'd guess a few weeks to a month after the first drop, per location, would be plenty of time. I don't know many people that "frequent" bookstores, certainly not more than once a month. The goal might be to get people once unbranded, and again with a website. Those that were curious the first round probably already tried to google it (hopefully successfully leading them here). Those who get the second one with the site will hopefully get curious enough to go to the site.

One side note, we might just end up with a bunch of really confused readers wondering when the mysterious Dunyain will show up in the book they are reading :P.