Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2017, 01:51:33 pm »
Bakker's answers on the AMA seemed to indicate that Serwa's not dead? And that some other principals of the retreating Ordeal also live... at least the weeks post-"Disaster at Golgotterath."
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2017, 05:28:22 pm »
Watch Serwa be alive in the next book only to succumb to her wound in the second chapter.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2017, 05:39:14 pm »
Watch Serwa be alive in the next book only to succumb to her wound in the second chapter.

Oh, please no. I'd rather have her be mentioned as dead in the beginning of TNG than that. But, of course, knowing Bakker, your theory is far more likely... :-\
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2017, 06:27:57 pm »
Nice symmetry to the course of Sorweel's character in UC.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2019, 07:25:17 pm »
I've decided to operate under the assumption that Serwa lived, unless she doesn't appear in further books.

That said, I think most of the evidence suggests that she's dead, however since there is enough doubt and I like her, I'm going with Alive.

This may be in part because its now amusing to misinterpret the text's intended meaning - I suspect her body was brought out for the reader to avoid this type of Cnaiur-Was-Alive-The-Whole-Time speculation.

Kayutas carrying around a dead body doesn't make sense, from a world-building perspective, and I like the thought that "blasted" is seen through TJE as a damned soul rather than her physical form.

Mostly dead, as we all know, means partially alive ;) . Besides, she still has to have Sorweel's baby.

She can die in childbirth, we'll name it Serweel, after herself, her namesake, and her father (also a pun on surreal because its ridiculous, but definitely happening.).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:27:01 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2019, 09:59:56 am »
She can die in childbirth, we'll name it Serweel, after herself, her namesake, and her father (also a pun on surreal because its ridiculous, but definitely happening.).

Serweel needs to be a thing.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that if Serwa bears any children, they will be of the half Nonman variety, and probably several of them at once, given the Dunyain female's genetics. But who knows, maybe a Dunyain woman can bear children from more than one father at a time...? Stranger things have happened.

Also looking back at this original OP, I have no idea why I thought Mimara's survival was a 'coin flip', since at this point I no longer remember not being 100% confidant that she (along with Akka, Esmi, and baby) survived. Otherwise it's the same, other than that I'm perhaps slightly less inclined to believe Aurang lived, even though his death is still suspiciously written to me. Feels like a door RSB left open for himself, just in case.

In the spirit of posterity, I'd also definitely add motherfucking Shauriatas to the list of "survivors" with zero hesitation. I'm completely convinced that he -- or it -- never went anywhere, but rather the Mutilated are now basically just upgraded versions of the Larvals.

The showdown in the Golden Room was as much 'Shauriatas vs Ajokli' as it was 'Mutilated vs Kellhus'.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2019, 12:18:01 pm »
 I thought 50/50 on Mimara seemed an odd choice. In my mind, shes probably the most important character left alive.

Generally speaking though, given the text and Bakker's commentary afterwards, I think he left a lot of things open (or potentially open) on purpose. He needs options ;) .
One of the other conditions of possibility.