• 34 Replies

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 01:53:43 am »
That hinges on Mimara's Judging Eye, since I'm guessing thats where "damnation eclipses any personal frame" comes from. I hope that it does truly show some kind of objective reality... I need a anchor, I'm growing tired of floating around in speculations. Something needs to provide a concrete ground with which to judge other things by.... or else we'll never make head/tails of anything.

Actually, it comes from Shae's reference to experimenting with torture after viewing the IF.  As nasty as the Consult are, damnation is much worse. Therefore the torments waiting in the afterlife must be more than what has been experienced in their mortal life.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 05:18:33 pm »
Oh I misread it. I thought you meant the damnation affects everyone, rather than damnation is worse than any other conceivable experience.

In which case, after re-reading, I'm not sure I understand how you reach your conclusions

The idea that Damnation eclipses any personal frame of reference demonstrates that the physical world itself has meaning; i.e. meaning is not internal and personal but exists within shared reality.

How does the pain/horror the IF shows demonstrate the world has meaning, and further that this meaning is shared?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 02:52:47 am »
Well, it's basically that the afterlife is greater than the sum of your own experience.  Imagine if there were no outside and when one died they were trapped within the breadth of their own experience, the boundary of their soul so to speak - it would be impossible to relive/recall anything worse than what had been experienced in life or that could be imagined as an extension of that, even with perfect recall.

What was earthly anguish compared what awaited them? Singular. Ephemeral. Little more than a bauble laid upon the monumental steps of the wretchedness to come.

Torment, pain and anguish are nothing but meanings, they have no external existence in our world. 
In the Earwaverse, however, the IF is proof positive that these things have an actual existence beyond individual interpretation.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 10:19:21 pm »
Alright I see what you are saying now, but I don't agree.

An external and somewhat omnipotent force/being is inflicinting pain on you as an individual. The fact that it eclipses your own personal frame of referance isn't surprising at all, especially because your imagined horror probably didn't even include all the things that were even possible. in the physical realm.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2014, 02:33:04 am »
Well, it's basically that the afterlife is greater than the sum of your own experience.  Imagine if there were no outside and when one died they were trapped within the breadth of their own experience, the boundary of their soul so to speak - it would be impossible to relive/recall anything worse than what had been experienced in life or that could be imagined as an extension of that, even with perfect recall.

What was earthly anguish compared what awaited them? Singular. Ephemeral. Little more than a bauble laid upon the monumental steps of the wretchedness to come.

Torment, pain and anguish are nothing but meanings, they have no external existence in our world. 
In the Earwaverse, however, the IF is proof positive that these things have an actual existence beyond individual interpretation.

Maybe!  Part of me still thinks the IF is some kind of noble lie to get the Inchoroi to do X.  Some long-ago entity reckoned they wouldn't see their quest through without the right motivation.  It's going to be interesting to see if the Inverse Fire and Judging Eye confirm each other or not.