What are you watching?

• 357 Replies

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2019, 05:18:39 pm »
I watched Cowboy Bebop many moons ago - remember liking it, but don't recall much about it. I'll have to check it out again.
Have to chime in as an unrepentant fanboy having watched it at release way back, it's amazing :D
Music, the overarching story, the individual episodes, it has a unique vibe

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 07, 2019, 07:18:17 pm »
City on a Hill

City on a Hill is a Showtime tv show, renewed for a 2nd season, yay!

So, not A+, not top shelf - but that said, for a descent show it's pretty darn good. It has one scene for the ages which doesn't ruin much of the show ( just you get a head's up on an ancillary character dying ), so I won't put in a spoiler. But first, quick run down, it's based in the early 90's in Boston pairing an old corrupt FBI agent with a new DA ( public District Attorney for those not in USA, the lawyer who presents cases for the state to convict people in court, etc ). Old formula, good cop/bad cop, nothing new there. But the directing and acting is excellent and it's fun to watch. The FBI agent is fun, a real bastard and has plenty of enemies in law enforcement, etc. Well, this one cop hates him and they've hated each other for years. The "good" cop gets shot in the belly and is dying and they put him in the ambulance and of course, our snarky corrupt FBI agent jumps in the back and while the cop is dying, does he try to clear the air and comfort him? No ... he rubs it in his face he's dying, I'm fricken dying watching it, it is hilarious. Extremely callous "fuck you" on your way out, laughing at him for dying, etc.

The show is not perfect, not top shelf, not Breaking Bad level good - but it's pretty fun to watch if you want some casual Sunday fucked up stuff injection. I give it an A-
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 11:20:21 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2019, 04:00:07 pm »
Just a note that Mr. Robot season 4 started on Sunday.

Episode 1 was pretty good.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 08, 2019, 04:29:11 pm »
Just a note that Mr. Robot season 4 started on Sunday.

Episode 1 was pretty good.
Yay, excited about this!
Is it gonna be released episodic or can I binge it?

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 08, 2019, 04:54:13 pm »
Yay, excited about this!

Episodic, one episode a week, airs Sunday nights here in the US, not sure about elsewhere.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2019, 05:01:21 pm »
Yay, excited about this!

Episodic, one episode a week, airs Sunday nights here in the US, not sure about elsewhere.
Still excited but tempted to wait until there's a few episodes I can watch at once.
My fragile psyche can't do waiting anymore

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 08, 2019, 05:44:29 pm »
Still excited but tempted to wait until there's a few episodes I can watch at once.

A fan of Bakker and incapable of waiting seem like a textbook case of antithesis, haha.

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 08, 2019, 05:52:08 pm »

A fan of Bakker and incapable of waiting seem like a textbook case of antithesis, haha.
True haha, I think I am now conditioned to pour all my patience into very specific works. The rest I need immediately :)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 08, 2019, 06:06:44 pm »
True haha, I think I am now conditioned to pour all my patience into very specific works. The rest I need immediately :)

I almost prefer episodic, not because I don't mind the wait, but because it's portion control.  In other words, I am not at pains to jam the episodes, because it's not really an option.

That pace also aligns with my general lottment of "free time" since it's hard to even get an apportioned time set aside to watch anything, let alone multiple episodes of anything.  In the end though, I think both forms have some merits, so it generally doesn't bother me when it is one or the other.

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 08, 2019, 06:15:40 pm »

I almost prefer episodic, not because I don't mind the wait, but because it's portion control.  In other words, I am not at pains to jam the episodes, because it's not really an option.

That pace also aligns with my general lottment of "free time" since it's hard to even get an apportioned time set aside to watch anything, let alone multiple episodes of anything.  In the end though, I think both forms have some merits, so it generally doesn't bother me when it is one or the other.
That's a fair point.
Waiting for things and portion control is probably a better way of doing things (and I don't just mean TV shows, hah), at least occasionally.
'im not impatient, I can wait if I have to, just don't want to right now' :')

On-topic: swamp thing episode 1 was good albeit with some plotholes / stupid character decisions but that's part of the charm. Torn between continuing that and starting Carnival Row..

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 08, 2019, 06:33:26 pm »
On-topic: swamp thing episode 1 was good albeit with some plotholes / stupid character decisions but that's part of the charm. Torn between continuing that and starting Carnival Row..

Carnival Row was decent, worth watching at least.  Not sure how it compares with Swamp Thing, but at least it provides the promise of a second season eventually.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 09, 2019, 05:30:23 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, I missed first episode and it ain't on In Demand, so I missed it.

H - be a sweetie and provide a Spoiler response here with a quick run down of episode 1 so I can just jump into the 2nd this Sunday? Pretty please :) :) :)

Didn't know Swamp Thing had a show, I'll have to investigate that. I'm watching The Boys, mad stuff that.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 09, 2019, 06:33:47 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, I missed first episode and it ain't on In Demand, so I missed it.

H - be a sweetie and provide a Spoiler response here with a quick run down of episode 1 so I can just jump into the 2nd this Sunday? Pretty please :) :) :)

Wait you want me to spoil it?  Haha, well, ok.  It's a really good episode though, so I'd highly suggest watching it, if you somehow can.  But, if it's not possible, well, then here you go:

(click to show/hide)

If you bothered to read all that:

(click to show/hide)

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 09, 2019, 06:42:00 pm »
You're awesome, H! This was perfect - I intend to watch it if I can figure out how to. Thanks much, good stuff.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 10, 2019, 02:29:16 pm »
The Boys

Amazon Prime tv show, 1 season released recently.

The Boys gets an A+ from me. It's an interesting mash of 70's dystopian with 80's kungfu with 90's/2000's sexual harassment/assault with young love bullshit with modern episodic tv construction. It's like the future of the 70's stories came true as the time is current day with corporate callous disregard for human life, laughing off human destruction, etc. Sounds like shit, but it's actually very well done and very fun to watch. It's not complex, which is ok since it's not taking itself too seriously, but it's not too campy to be disregarded either. There's no inner truth to learn from this show, won't learn anything - purely something fun to watch - that said, it does seem to be a more plausible rendition of super powers than most super hero stories ( e.g. the head guy is a ripoff of Super Man, down to the laser eyes, but he can't stop a plane falling from the sky ). If you like something fun and very fucked up, check it out.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:33:06 pm by TaoHorror »