• PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2014, 10:08:22 pm »
Oh.... I just found about this juicy thread.  Very interesting. 

Only two things Madness:  I don't mind more exposition.  Exposition= more information = greater apprehension.  But in your honest opinion, is the exposition mechanism of TUC delivered and articulated in an organic and non-clunky way?

Also, is there more of Iyokus?  Simple yea or nay.  I mean, he was a pretty important secondary character in PON and the Blind Necromancer seems too important to just be with the Great Ordeal, get about ONE line of dialogue in WLW... and then die at Dagliash.  There's got to be more.

Ozark

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2014, 12:46:28 am »
Dear Madness :

Here is a good, answerable question that won't betray anyone's trust I think :

Does TUC offer any answers or clarifications re : the significant Theodicy problem in the Bakkerverse.

It certainly stands out to me that despite cleaving closer to Paganism, which has easier answers to the problem of Theodicy (Yo guess what?  The Gods ain't perfect and frankly they are kinda douchebags)  - we have pagan style Gods with a significantly "higher theology" than the pagan Gods with corporeal bodies and fallible non-omniscient minds.

For philosophy geeks I'm hoping there isn't some cheap Leibniz-style cum Pangloss gloss on why his Gods seem significantly worse than the astonishingly appalling God(s) of the Levantine semi-monotheistic traditions.

(I know characterizing Leibniz's philosophy as Panglossian really isn't fair, but I'm sure you guys get my drift.  This is TSA, not Westeros after all.)

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2014, 01:00:08 am »
(I know characterizing Leibniz's philosophy as Panglossian really isn't fair, but I'm sure you guys get my drift.  This is TSA, not Westeros after all.)

I love Dr. Pangloss.

Ozark

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2014, 01:11:29 am »

I love Dr. Pangloss.

Lol, I know whom I'd rather have a beer with.

Unfortunately, the fictional and satirical nature of Dr. Pangloss the cheerful Galley Slave earns him a bad rap as a scholarly epithet.

Meanwhile, as co-discoverer of "The Calculus", Leibniz gets way more street cred than he deserves with his "an infinite being can only create a finite universe"  -- Seriously?  You'd think a man who apprehended the anti-derivative would do better than that.

We need to understand him in the context of a world where there simply weren't many options for even the most rational and secular minded individual. 

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2014, 05:05:31 pm »
Maybe Leibniz was just in the wrong genre, should have written speculative fiction.  He gets mentioned in a recent erb, the one with Weird Al:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yis7GzlXNM

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2014, 10:08:44 pm »
Hi Madness. Two non-spoilerish questions. Do you know if the book will include any new maps? And more importantly, do we get the meaning of the word "xurjranc"?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2014, 12:50:54 pm »
Where does that word appear?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2014, 02:24:55 pm »
When the Inchoroi appears at the end of TWP,

Effortlessly, the Xurjranc snapped Valrissa’s tether, and hoisted her before him, held her as though she were a doll. Bengulla shrieked,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2014, 02:32:12 pm »
Is that from TTT appendix? I guess that's been bothering you for a while then :P

Zadok

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2014, 06:53:16 pm »
It's referring to Aurax from the POV of the captured Werigda chieftan.  My guess would be that it's just their name for the Inchoroi.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2014, 06:58:53 pm »
Or something akin to monster, alien, demon, etc. It just raises more questions if they have an actual name for Inchoroi in their tongue. Do they get visited often? For what purpose?

Zadok

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2014, 07:06:48 pm »
Right before that part he mistakes him for the No-God so it's unlikely they've seen them in a long time but if stories of "The Great Ruiner" have been passed down through the generations it's possible they also have stories/had contact with the Inchoroi in the past.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2014, 03:23:14 am »
I think the end of TWP is great, but I find it hard to believe that those people have been out there so long!

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2014, 10:50:48 pm »
Say Madness, are there any questions you haven't been asked yet that you would like to be asked?