What is the No God?

• 224 Replies

Borric

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2013, 05:43:36 pm »
It seems I was mistaken about who the custodian of the Heron spear was post Eleneöt.
I’d assumed Seswartha had secreted it away somewhere and kept it safe.
That’s why I found it surprising that he was not the person to use the weapon at Mengedda.
But according to the Wiki Anaxophus V was the custodian, and he was the one who kept it secret until its use.
http://princeofnothing.wikia.com/wiki/Anaxophus_V
Therefore it was only right that he should use it.

Hi Galbrod, I’m not suggesting it was manufactured with chorea.
Rather they were added at a later date.
Imbued was the wrong word to use?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:55:00 pm by Borric »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2013, 07:35:35 pm »
There is a discrepancy, neh? I feel like in the Glossary the Mandate Dreams and historicity dispute each other. But I think you are right - Seswatha doesn't know where the Spear is after Eleneot.

Also, I think we may have had a version of this discussion elsewhere. I will try and find it. Definitely, it seems that Seswatha can't use the Spear himself (why bring Nau-Cayuti along to raid the Ark?).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2013, 10:06:41 pm »
Yeah, we have discussed this to some extent ... somewhere.  If the spear were somehow dangerous to mages, that might explain why the consult never used it themselves - even to use it up so it couldn't be wielded vs Mog.
NG must've told Seswatha where to find it when he told him about the No-god's creation, meaning the Non men left it in the Ark when they sealed it up.  Perhaps they just didn't want anything of the Inchies'. 
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 28, 2013, 07:57:06 am »
the heron spear isn't dangerous to mages, Mekeritrig used it on the glamour around the ark, fully depleted the weapon and then discarded it when it didn't succeed. 

of course it the consult recovered it, rearmed it and put chorae in it after Shae broke the glamour, then that would explain things.

Also, isn't it just terribly interesting that the Nonmen warred for millenia inside the Ark and Ses and NC snuck into the Ark, searched it, and found the HS in a matter of days.  That seems unlikely given the presumably incredible dimensions of the ship.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2013, 08:06:02 am »
Is not the No-God supposed to be invisible to the gods?  If so, could the visions of the White-Luck-Warrior concerning the future killing of Kellhus be seen as evidence that Kellhus is not the No-God?
Not terribly. The gods can't see the no god.

A Kellhus transforming into the no god might, to them, just seem a death.

It's possible for him to just drop off their radar (for how very omniscient they assume their radar is). And certainly preferable.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2013, 11:38:52 am »
The god's can't see Mog?  Maybe they just can't believe in him.  Sranc are 'lies made flesh' after all.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Galbrod

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2013, 06:31:20 pm »
Is not the No-God supposed to be invisible to the gods?  If so, could the visions of the White-Luck-Warrior concerning the future killing of Kellhus be seen as evidence that Kellhus is not the No-God?
Not terribly. The gods can't see the no god.

A Kellhus transforming into the no god might, to them, just seem a death.

It's possible for him to just drop off their radar (for how very omniscient they assume their radar is). And certainly preferable.

It appears that the WLW/Kellhus situation is slowly building up to a moment resembling the stabbing of Moenghus the elder in TTT (but with Kellhus on the other end).

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2013, 07:13:56 pm »
Very true Galbrod, this series seem to like the "history repeats" theme. Though Kellhus' stabbing seemed a bit less premeditated, but I'm always struck by the similarities of the WLW's visions and the "visions" granted by the probability trance.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Galbrod

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2013, 07:29:58 pm »
Thus once again asking the question of the difference between (a) arriving at 'the one solution' by making a perfect rational decision based on taking all possible factors into account, and (b) arriving at 'the one solution' based on what has been preordained by the God/gods

Borric

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2013, 07:32:03 pm »
It appears that the WLW/Kellhus situation is slowly building up to a moment resembling the stabbing of Moenghus the elder in TTT (but with Kellhus on the other end).

So it would seem, but I don’t believe it.
Sorweel has the same job right? Both sent by Yatwer?
Why would you need multiple assassins if one is a dead cert?

Galbrod

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2013, 07:46:28 pm »
Unless it is for one of them to perform the act and for the other to bear witness

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2013, 08:16:22 pm »
Thus once again asking the question of the difference between (a) arriving at 'the one solution' by making a perfect rational decision based on taking all possible factors into account, and
I think this is important, and part of what we will learn is that there is no difference between A and B, The Dunyain are merely deceived that they are perfect, they are merely deceived that they are rational, they are merely deceived that they make decisions, they are merely deceived that they make perfect rational decisions in the probability trance.  The probability trance is nothing more than an added complexity to ex post facto rationalizations, they use it and in using it the truth of their deceiving themselves is obfuscated (because they think they've moved beyond it).   Ultimately, the actions of the Dunyain, in the world of Earwa, are as precisely pre-ordained as the actions of the White Luck Warrior, or any other character in the mileau.

and on the meta level, the probability trance is just a tool the author uses to enhance the illusions the reader gladly participates in by agreeing to engage in the process of receiver of story.  The author has already pre-determined the outcome of the probability trance, exactly as the author has already pre-determined the outcome of all the other elements of the story, the readerly perception that the probability trance is different is nothing more than an illusion that enhances the experience.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2013, 09:30:04 pm »
Perhaps, Kellhus is not the Aspect-Emperor of the Warrior's visions...
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Galbrod

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2013, 09:48:25 pm »
Perhaps, Kellhus is not the Aspect-Emperor of the Warrior's visions...
Sure, that's possible... I've just got a feeling Bakker is going to "surprise" us in TUC with having the WLW actually doing what he has seen in his visions...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2013, 01:37:20 am »
Well, in my more wild imagining, Moenghus played the ascension card by which a number of his believers died for him when he himself is killed.

And cue Kellhus getting skewed in Momemn while the Ordeal dies at Dagliash.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer