Unification wars details.

• 10 Replies

robizeratul

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: December 23, 2016, 09:04:14 pm »
What do we know of the unification wars? Can we do like detectives and reconstruct a timeline of events, the dates,names etc.

I am searching now for some facts, curios if anyone cares about this ( or if this has been discussed )

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 06:14:07 am »
I've always wanted a huge survey of all the details of the UWs.  May do it after Holiday season has died down, too lazy right now.

For now, I would recommend reading, I believe, Chapter Three of TJE. I think Esmi gives a huge infodump about the progression of her children being born and what was going on concurrently during the Unification.

robizeratul

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 08:20:38 pm »
Could someone copy that section ? Dont have it digitally

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 03:33:06 am »
It starts on my page 113, an isolated Esmenet section in TJE, Ch. 3. I was reminded of this thread as I am rereading TAE (I'm nearly done TJE now) and thought I'd respond as I'm actually slinking through the threads once.

In broad strokes, Kellhus seems to continue straight on south from Shimeh onto Nilnamesh and to Angvaishi (sp?), the fortress on Zeum's mountainous border. It'd seem obvious that as Dunyain - the "ultimate" tactician - and with the star-studded attendence at Shimeh's coronation, that Kellhus would also secure Momemn and Nansur with the recency of Conphas' death. Esmenet reflects in the aforementioned passage, as I recall, that Momemn alone capitulated to Kellhus and the Zaudunyani without resistance. The text says that Theliopa (the second after Kayutas at Shimeh) was born fighting the Nilnamesh but Serwa was born fighting in Carythusal, Momemn yielding somewhere in between.

Also as Sorweel's reflects during WLW, I believe, with his fellow Scions, that their fathers are those whose nations and city-states surround the Three-Seas but haven't totally capitulated. And there are the few wildcards, my personal favorite nugget being "the legendary campaign of bribery and assassination whereby King Eselos Mursidides stole Cironj from the Orthodox." Lol, damn, right?

Also, we can date the Unification Wars to only lasting nine years after the end of the Holy War because in TJE it's stated that the Sranc Bounty and the preparation of the Great Ordeal occurred eleven years before TJE's current events, cleanly dividing the intervening twenty (assuming Kellhus only starting preparing in earnest after the conclusion of the Unification Wars).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:38:25 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 04:22:53 pm »
Also, we can date the Unification Wars to only lasting nine years after the end of the Holy War because in TJE it's stated that the Sranc Bounty and the preparation of the Great Ordeal occurred eleven years before TJE's current events, cleanly dividing the intervening twenty (assuming Kellhus only starting preparing in earnest after the conclusion of the Unification Wars).

Not sure that's true. I think he was preparing before the end of the Wars. The Unification Wars don't even conclude until the the taking of Sarkarpus, right?

One of the other conditions of possibility.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 06:30:47 pm »
14 years states it on the map at the end og TGO

i think it's one of many wars against the  Nilnamesh, and in the book it says something like after the final capitulation of invinshi in 4126 the unification wars ended.
Also Kellhus was declared Aspect emperor in 4112 and both Kian and nansur empires collapses shortly after leaving him the undisputed master of the western 3 seas.

Went and got the book to get the correct dates.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 12:22:02 am »
Lol, I knew TAE maps had hard dates and didn't bother looking last night.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 02:46:49 am »
the dates are correct but it says 13 years of internecine warfare not 14.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 11:43:15 am »
It says that, though the dates are 4112 and 4126, I believe.

The Unification Wars could be a treasure trove of Atrocity Tales, methinks. Kellhus had to coax and goad and dominate the Great Names during the Holy War but he had unobstructed rule following Shimeh and the Mandate :o.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:47:41 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 01:33:12 pm »
Proyas murdering his way through the three seas for a lie.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 04:04:44 pm »
Proyas murdering his way through the three seas for a lie.
That's a whole book waiting to happen. Especially post-TGO revelations.
One of the other conditions of possibility.