« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2017, 08:59:33 am »

Anb black seed everywhere.

... Eesh.
You are the fist that beats us.

False Man

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2017, 11:49:54 am »
Now I am thinking about a t-shirt with a smiling Stalin and the phrase "Where you fall as fodder, I descend as hunger."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 12:12:37 pm »

... Eesh.
I always find it fascinating how obsessed people are with this topic, and that it seems to be a funny joke each time its said (though for me its always like 'that guy' you know that still thinks 'your mom' jokes are funny).

Btw, if you are interested, you should check out Malazan, one of the books fairly drips with the stuff (Reaper's Gale I believe).

Now I am thinking about a t-shirt with a smiling Stalin and the phrase "Where you fall as fodder, I descend as hunger."

Wow. That's dark.

Other than a hundred or so bookmarks, all I've got is a shirt from Disciple of the Dog that says "I'd rather be masturbating".
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2017, 12:16:28 pm »

I WANT ONE.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Yellow

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2017, 03:08:55 pm »

Btw, if you are interested, you should check out Malazan, one of the books fairly drips with the stuff (Reaper's Gale I believe).

Now *there's* a series which disappeared up its own arse. Read all the Erikson main sequence ones, which were excellent up to book 5, then increasingly self - indulgent until the end.  The Esslemont ones were just dreadful.
You are the fist that beats us.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2017, 03:25:03 pm »

Now *there's* a series which disappeared up its own arse. Read all the Erikson main sequence ones, which were excellent up to book 5, then increasingly self - indulgent until the end.  The Esslemont ones were just dreadful.

I read the ten books of Erikson in a row in a crazy slog of slogs some years ago and since then I am unable to try the Esslemont series (only read the first two) and the Kharkanas trilogy. I still have a malazan overdose.

SuJuroit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2017, 03:40:25 pm »

I found Malazan to not so much resemble a story, but rather a series of play sessions involving a small child and a collection of action figures.  Nothing in the universe was consistent or made any kind of sense, just a string of ad hoc events playing out according to some unknowable whim.  A sort of literary version of Axe Cop.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Webcomic/AxeCop

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2017, 03:55:10 pm »
I basically agree with you, but I think that especially the first five books contain good epic stuff that make the whole series readable.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2017, 11:54:22 am »

My opinion isn't quite as harsh, but I otherwise agree.

Khaine

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2017, 12:07:20 pm »
Second Apocalypse? The Ancient Aliens did it!

Printed on a t-shirt

:P
Knowing was the foundation of ignorance. To think that one *knew* was to become utterly blind to the unknown.

R. Scott Baker, The White Luck Warrior, chapter 12.

ἕν οἶδα, ὅτι οὐδέν οἶδα

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2017, 12:29:36 pm »
I basically agree with you, but I think that especially the first five books contain good epic stuff that make the whole series readable.

Everyone, there are a few Malazan threads, if you'd like to discuss further. Try this one. FWIF, I really enjoyed it, but there are definetly criticisms to be leveled at it.

Second Apocalypse? The Ancient Aliens did it!

Printed on a t-shirt

:P
Picture of an Inchoroi instead of the History channel "Aliens!" guy.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2017, 03:17:11 pm »

... Eesh.
I always find it fascinating how obsessed people are with this topic, and that it seems to be a funny joke each time its said (though for me its always like 'that guy' you know that still thinks 'your mom' jokes are funny).

This. For some reason, everybody who mentions the books anywhere MUST also accompany it with a Black Seed mention, even though it's a very minor part of the story.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2017, 03:22:41 pm »
This. For some reason, everybody who mentions the books anywhere MUST also accompany it with a Black Seed mention, even though it's a very minor part of the story.

You can build a thousand bridges, but you spill a little black seed once in a while and forever are you "The Black Seed Guy."
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2017, 12:15:29 pm »
Other than a hundred or so bookmarks, all I've got is a shirt from Disciple of the Dog that says "I'd rather be masturbating".

Fuck, I hope you brought this for tonight or tomorrow!

You can build a thousand bridges, but you spill a little black seed once in a while and forever are you "The Black Seed Guy."

Truth.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

solipsisticurge

• Momurai
  • There is a head on a pole behind him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2017, 09:12:25 pm »
I would buy the hell out of Total War: The First Holy War.

I always envisioned a game with Total War combat mechanics, but outside of battles, a more RPG/adventure framework, covering the manipulations, faction intrigue, etc. of the story. Kind of a good ground for "what if?" segments, where different avenues are pursued, different characters convinced to different degrees by varying means, etc. So you can have a Holy War led by Conphas, or with Conphas as Kellhus' primary devotee, or Kellhus dying on the Circumfix because Cnaiur died earlier on and can't slaughter Sarcellus, or a million other ways the series could have played out with different decisions on the part of the characters.

You win the game by keeping Athjeari alive through to the end.
Kings never lie. They demand the world be mistaken.