Miscellaneous Chatter > Literature

Steven Erikson (The 3.5 million word journey?)

<< < (2/40) > >>

Wilshire:
Half way through MoI now. I'm not sure if there is less going on, or I'm acclimating to the world, but I'm more easily submerged in the story. So far, MoI is my favorite of the series.

I'm hesitant to start the bakker vs. erikson comparisons yet, but maybe I'll say a word or two. I'm not really sure were all the words go in Erikson's works. Of the hundreds of thousands of pages, and millions of words, I thought I would feel bogged down in the shear volume. But really, they read so well and flow very nicely. This seems somewhat strange considering when I read Bakker I somewhat get that feeling, like there is a lot going on and I'm missing it.

I don't know what makes Erikson "easier" to read, but I will say that it is wonderful. Bakker's still #1 (though at this point I have so much invested into TSA that its not really fair to compare). I'm excited to get through to the end.

btw, I don't plan on reading any of the non-main series books, mainly because I've got other things on my list :P. I imagine the  Bauchelain & Korbal Broach books would have been interesting to read pre-MoI though. I just feel like I won't ever get anywhere if I read the other stories.

Raizen:
If anyone is interested, there's a site that does a chapter by chapter reread of the series.  It's very useful to go back through and find things you didn't notice or there wasn't enough information on.  Basically it's a short summary of the chapter, then a gentleman and lady's commentary on that portion. 

http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

Wilshire:
That's pretty awesome.

Tor is the publisher of my set, so I'll trust them :P
I'm sure that was pretty useful when people had to wait a year between books. Heck, its even useful now, since I read so slowly.

Wilshire:
Finished Memories of Ice. What a phenomenal book. Easily my favorite so far. Around page 600 I thought to myself "that would have been a great place to end it", but holy hell I'm glad it went on. The rest of the book went by so fast, I couldn't put it down. And what an ending! All the things...

I was considering reading a few other books before I started House of Chains, but I don't know if I can do that now. The story is so enticing now, and I'm so glad that I finally got some background on the characters.... I must find out what is next.  Both the DG storyline and GotM/MoI stories are great, so I don't really care where the next one goes. Actually, if its another entire new set of plotlines, I might be a bit irritated.

If the books keep getting better, I'm going to be sorely pressed to pick a favorite author.

Kellais:

--- Quote ---If the books keep getting better, I'm going to be sorely pressed to pick a favorite author.
--- End quote ---

Glad to hear that, Wil ;)

For myself, i still count MoI as the best book of the series. Erikson still develops as a writer in the later books, but MoI had just so much in it ... and the cast was very to my liking.

And just in case: yes, book 4 will be with a new set of plotlines ;) BUT there will also be some familiar faces. It is set on the same continent as book 1 and 3.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version