Miscellaneous Chatter > Literature

Yearly Targets 2019

<< < (11/12) > >>

H:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on October 14, 2019, 12:53:48 pm ---Could be that the first one is so short you can't get a solid feeling for it. But also, in generally I find people don't like books that are confusing and throw you into the middle of a story that already happening. This is definitely what happens in Gunslinger, so I'm not surprised it is not fondly remembered by many.
--- End quote ---

I might also just be remembering parts from other books and figuring they were in that first one.  But I do recall liking it for how vaguely it sketched the past.  Of course, I read it probably 15 years ago, maybe even more...

MSJ:
Finished up A Little Hatred by Abercombie (7) last night. Classic Joe. Very reminiscent of first book of first trilogy. Some action, plenty of laughs, but essentially a introduction to the plot, characters and threads of the story that we will follow throughout. As always with his stuff...highly recommended.

Wilshire:
 Been waiting for a new series ever since I couldnt finish Red Country, so I'm very glad to hear you liked it.

MSJ:

--- Quote from:  H ---Been waiting for a new series ever since I couldnt finish Red Country, so I'm very glad to hear you liked it.
--- End quote ---

Also, we get some prophecy in these books. Dogman's daughter, Rikke (rhymes with pricker), has the Long Eye... I think with the success of ASOIAF, Joe thought a good idea to introduce this in his writing. Enjoyable....as always.

Wilshire:
The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks, Lightbringer 3 (28)

I continue to be impressed with Weeks' writing. The books primary focus is on the plot, but the characters and relationships are unfolding in a complex way that really drives things along. I find myself feeling very strongly for many of the characters, which brings a solid poignancy to many scenes. Some plot twists you can guess or see coming, there are others that are shocking while still making sense in retrospect.

This is still something I highly recommend. It's not in the same vein as Watts or Bakker, but its great fantasy writing if geared more towards 'fun' than 'deep'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version