• 31 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 07:14:12 pm »
Quote from: dharmakirti
Akka is the most relatable to me, so I root for him.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 07:14:19 pm »
Quote from: Charamemas
I was rooting for Maithanet, because he is the Holy Shriah, then Bakker went and wasted him. Hurrrrr. Now I root for Kellhus because he is easily the least malignant of the major factions. Which brings me to this:

Quote from: The Sharmat
2. I don't agree with their methods or motives, but their goal is the only ray of hope in Bakkerverse. As Aurang quite rightly put it: "This world is an outrage!" The world MUST be shut from the Outside.

Aurang is outraged because the inherent morality of the Bakkerverse won't let let him get his jollies from interspecies bukkake and pheremone-induced rape. Poor baby.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 07:14:25 pm »
Quote from: The Sharmat
On a purely moral basis I'd actually say the Fanim are the least repugnant. I just find them less fun than the Consult.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 07:14:32 pm »
Quote from: Cynical Cat
Let me start by saying I know I'm not going to get the warm, fuzzy ending that I wish for.

An end to the Inchoroi and the horrors they inflict on the world.

An end to Damnation without genocide.

Some kind of inner peace for Akka and Minara.

The gods of Earwa to perish screaming in the flames of their own cruelty.

Some hope for the future for the Nonmen.  They might be slavers, but so is every other society on Earwa.

Retirement to some place nice for Esmenet, because she's put up with way too much shit and has certainly earned it.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 07:14:38 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Cheers, CC. I wouldn't get our hopes up though. Plus I think it says something very interesting about ourselves that the deeper this story gets, the more we pine for the satisfaction of the standard tropes.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 07:14:44 pm »
Quote from: Cynical Cat
Cheers, CC. I wouldn't get our hopes up though. Plus I think it says something very interesting about ourselves that the deeper this story gets, the more we pine for the satisfaction of the standard tropes.

Oh I know that, but I wouldn't call it "the satisfaction of the standard tropes."  It isn't standard tropes, it is justice that we want.  That's why people yearn for a world with meaning.  Bakker has shown us a world of meaning where whatever determines what "justice" is does not share our values and the true horror that implies.

Also, while I'm compiling a list, stop giving everyone on the lower rungs of the social ladder (women, slaves, caste menials) a raw deal.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 07:14:51 pm »
Bless your stalwart heart, CC.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 07:14:56 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
What is a lower rung, if it does not give some sort of raw deal?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 07:15:08 pm »
Quote from: CFKane
I root for the Consult. The world of Earwa (and perhaps the universe of Earwa) should be shut off from the outside. As The Sharmat noted, Aurang is right: "This world is an outrage!" better to be shut against the outside than damned by the arbitrary whims of uncaring gods (or an uncaring god, if the Fanim are correct).

I'd like Achamian to come out OK though - I have a lot of sympathy for him.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 07:15:12 pm »
I'm not sure you can suggest that the Solitary God is necessarily uncaring. Sure, he's unable to stop his entire religious populace from devastation but in hindsight the PON is beginning to be reframed by the Layers of Revelation in TAE - those Renegade demons join together under one unholy-motherfucker, after all, and it seems godhandle the plot of the PON on their way to kill what actually might be the true religion.

Another point for the Solitary over the God of Gods: "But more and more the different eye seems to open, one that has her perplexed for many years - that frightens her like an unwanted yen for perversion. Its lid is drowsy, and indeed it slumbers so deep she often forgets its presence. But when it stirs, the very world is transformed.

For moments at a time, she can see them ... Good and evil.

Not buried, not hidden, but writ like another colour or texture across the hide of everything. The way good men shine brighter than good women. Or how serpents glow holy, while pigs seem to wallow in polluting shadow. The world is unequal in the eyes of the God - she understands this with intimate profundity." p.129, TJE

Bolding alone is mine.

Also, from this passage, Callan, it might reflect the possibility that those lower on the Divine rankings might experience something other than the normal persecutions by the fluctuations of their social nodes.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 07:15:43 pm »
Quote from: sciborg2
Quote from: CFKane
I root for the Consult. The world of Earwa (and perhaps the universe of Earwa) should be shut off from the outside. As The Sharmat noted, Aurang is right: "This world is an outrage!" better to be shut against the outside than damned by the arbitrary whims of uncaring gods (or an uncaring god, if the Fanim are correct).

I'd like Achamian to come out OK though - I have a lot of sympathy for him.

The big challenge here is what exactly will the Consult (Or Kellhus if he apprehends - mentally and physically - the No-God) be doing with its immortal existences?

Because if Akka is correct and souls are links to the Outside, then do the gate keepers who shut away the Gods simply need to keep the population below some threshold?

If the soul is intrinsically part of the Outside coming in, like Akka claims, what exactly does it mean to shut away the world? That every being who is born following the shutting of the world is a "skin-spy", a consciousness that possesses no soul?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 07:15:52 pm »
Quote from: Swense
Serpents were holy in most agricultural, Indo-European civilizations before the introduction of Semitic-inspired religions.

Particularly the Greeks, IIRC.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 07:15:58 pm »
Quote from: Wayward Ishroi
Or how serpents glow holy, while pigs seem to wallow in polluting shadow.

So when viewed through the Judging Eye, serpents are holy... Cishaurim use serpents to, "see," the most objective world on this side of reality, and Nin'sariccas (the Emissary sent by the non men in Ishterebinth to meet Kellhus and the Great Ordeal II) wears a nimil hauberk with the chainmail links in the form of serpents:

He wore a hauberk that was at once a gown, one that baffled the eyes for the wrought delicacy of the chain: innumerable serpents no larger than the clippings of a child's nails.

I love to speculate on these things... I have this terrible feeling that in TUC and TSTSNBN everything is going to be turned on its' head. The righteous and the wicked are going to change places... Actually, I've gotten the impression that this may have happened before in history... You get enough living souls to alter their belief in what constitutes damnation to hit some kind of critical mass and you suddenly have an inversion of what is holy versus what earns you damnation. Provided the world remains open to the outside, of course. I figure it happened once when Cu'jara Cinmoi leapt upon the altar (presumably after having regained his youth from receiving the nostrums of the Inchoroi when Nin'janjin returned still young), again at some point when Nil'Giccas took over in Ishoriol, and more recently during the breaking when Men destroyed the High Mansions of Earwa...

Cu’jara Cinmoi leaps upon the altar, gloating, displaying the mad extent of his arrogance, openly, outrageously, knowing that his own would celebrate his impiety as strength, and that his enemies would cry out for heartbreak and fury.
And the Ishroi kick aside their nimil skirts and kneel–and so does madness become religion. “I... am... immortal...”

I love how Bakker sets up this Juxtaposition of what many of us have as preconceived notions... In his world, serpents are holy, whereas in most Judeo-Christian backgrounds, serpents are associated with evil... Conversely, whereas we have Herons and Lions as avatars of nobility and justice, we could all be being set up for a reversal of the righteousness of Nil'Giccas:

Cleric stood atop the heights of a shattered inner wall, gazing high after the thing. Brush fires raged beyond him, throwing lines of orange across his jaw and cheek. His nimil chain glistened in the dry sunlight, and for the first time the old Wizard saw the faint lines of filigree worked across its innumerable links.
Herons. Herons and lions.

I've had this nagging suspicion about an exchange in TJE when Akka first meets Cleric:

"I remember..." the blackness wrapped by the cowl said. "I remember the slaughter of..."
A peculiar sound, like a sob thumbed into the shape of a cackle.
"Of children."

It is suggested that this memory comes from Nil'Giccas' presence at the fall of the Library of Sauglish... What we don't learn is just who was doing the slaughtering... I have this horrid inkling that it was Nil'Giccas himself chop chopping the kiddies...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 07:16:08 pm »
Quote from: Wayward Ishroi
Also, back to the OP... I'm rooting for some kind of final peace for the remaining Cunuroi that doesn't involve damnation. True oblivion, as it were, and guaranteed... Not based on some abstract worshipping the spaces between the gods and hoping you split the defencemen on your way through the outside and miss being Ciphrang fodder for eternity. Maybe as some kind of reunification of the million warring fragments of god. Actually, I have this suspicion that ending up in oblivion actually means that you give up your individuality in the outside and rejoin the larger, "sleeping," fragment of the Solitary God awaiting all the other little broken pieces to come back to it one day.

And also... CNAIUR!!!!!!!!!!!!! urs Skiotha, most violent of all men. I know he's probably dead dead, but I love that fucker.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 07:16:14 pm »
Quote from: Jorge
Very good posts Mr. Ishroi. I had failed to notice the discrepancy in the design of the hauberk and chainmail. It's possible they simply represent different houses, but... *RED FLAG*

I have this suspicion that ending up in oblivion actually means that you give up your individuality in the outside and rejoin the larger, "sleeping," fragment of the Solitary God awaiting all the other little broken pieces to come back to it one day.

Various major symbols in the work are the Gnostic cross, the Logos and Gnostic sorcery. This points to some version of Gnosticism-like metaphysics to be the actual reality on Earwa.

The cool part is that if this is true, then even the alien Inchoroi are little (yucky) pieces of the Solitary God.
(See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demiurge for lots of cool real-world references to the shit that happens on Earwa)