Earwa > General Q&A

The Inchoroi and their minds. (Possible Spoilers)

(1/2) > >>

Sillyfish:
(click to show/hide)I know I'm not the most perceptive of readers. Sometimes I have to reread something a couple of times before I grasp the hidden meaning behind things. Combine this with Bakkers ability to hide meaning behind words and you have me absolutely loving his books but not understanding everything the depth of things the first time round. So, having said that it's entirely possible that I just missed the explanation for this if it was in the books. (I'm also rereading, so yay for that.)

My query is simple: The Nonmen have been around for so long that they lose their memories of things that aren't marked by trauma and emotional agony. Why do the Inchoroi, who are significantly older (as far as I understand) not likewise lose their minds?

Or is it that they already have and are driven by the memory and knowledge of damnation - the most traumatic thing of all?
Edited: PLaced everything in a spoiler tag and rewrote the thread title. Just in case someone who hasn't discovered this information yet comes across it.

H:
Welcome to the forum.  Have you read TUC already?

(click to show/hide)It's an interesting question, but I think the simplest and so probably the most probable answer is that the Inchoroi were simply "better built" for the rigors of immortality.  Remember, as we learned in TUC, the Inchoroi are just yet another weapons race.  It would certainly be disastrous if the Inchoroi forgot their mission along the way, so a long memory was certainly something the Progenitors would have looked to have as a feature even if Ark and the Inverse Fire could keep them in line.

SmilerLoki:

--- Quote from: H on April 11, 2018, 10:56:58 am ---Welcome to the forum.  Have you read TUC already?

(click to show/hide)It's an interesting question, but I think the simplest and so probably the most probable answer is that the Inchoroi were simply "better built" for the rigors of immortality.  Remember, as we learned in TUC, the Inchoroi are just yet another weapons race.  It would certainly be disastrous if the Inchoroi forgot their mission along the way, so a long memory was certainly something the Progenitors would have looked to have as a feature even if Ark and the Inverse Fire could keep them in line.
--- End quote ---
(click to show/hide)That being said, even Aurang and Aurax grew decrepit with the passing of millennia:

--- Quote from: R. Scott Bakker ---he has grown decrepit over the ages, the same as Aurax.
--- End quote ---

H:

--- Quote from: SmilerLoki on April 11, 2018, 02:01:35 pm --- (click to show/hide)That being said, even Aurang and Aurax grew decrepit with the passing of millennia:

--- Quote from: R. Scott Bakker ---he has grown decrepit over the ages, the same as Aurax.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

(click to show/hide)Yeah, unfortunately we can't know how much of that was "natural" attrition and how much was due to the grafts.  I'd bet most of it was because of the Grafts, "natural state" Inchoroi might have actually been functionally immortal.

SmilerLoki:

--- Quote from: H on April 11, 2018, 02:05:09 pm --- (click to show/hide)Yeah, unfortunately we can't know how much of that was "natural" attrition and how much was due to the grafts.  I'd bet most of it was because of the Grafts, "natural state" Inchoroi might have actually been functionally immortal.
--- End quote ---
(click to show/hide)The Grafting is such a moot topic... They could have routinely rebuilt themselves on every planet they visited, for all we know. Or they resorted to it only on Earwa.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version