Miscellaneous Chatter > Writing

Writing and selling books - the advocation of silence?

(1/3) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---It sometimes strikes me, to make money from selling books, well, you essentially have to have a bunch of people who do not write?

I mean, what's the point if in, say, a sample size of 200, if they all wrote a book and then bought one other persons book - no one would make any money. It'd be zero sum.

But if only one person writes a book and 200 buy it, that's profitable.

But that requires people who don't write/don't sell books.

So what is it when you sell books?

An advocation of silence...for your own financial benefit?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Meyna ---This is an interesting economics thought-experiment. You could replace "writing" with any luxury good and the experiment holds. Normally, if I sell a product, a certain percentage of that would go towards the raw materials or the publishers or whatever. If everyone writes, though, that money that doesn't contribute to my profit will go to others who also happen to be writing. Anyway, money is just a way of keeping track of things. It isn't real. If a society exists where everyone can write and still survive, then the economy itself will cater to that lifestyle. If not (like ours), then the lower tier of writers will have to do something else lest they perish.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---Value is a thing, though, right?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---Hi Meyna,

It's just that not everyone has an inclination to build furniture. But everyone does have an inclination to speak.

--- Quote ---If a society exists where everyone can write and still survive, then the economy itself will cater to that lifestyle. If not (like ours), then the lower tier of writers will have to do something else lest they perish.
--- End quote ---
Well, perhaps such an advocation for silence is embeded in a moneytary structure like ours - but really it depends - if someone advocates for that silence and thinks it's a good thing (when it works out for them), is it really the system forcing that hand to work that way? Or do they like it?

Hi Mike,

Are you refering to Meyna's 'money isn't real' comment?

I'd say more like desperation is a thing. To drift off topic a bit, I'd say money isn't the real currency involved at all. It's more like a bandaid for the real currency involved.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---What did you mean to communicate when you wrote:

--- Quote from: Callan S. --- To drift off topic a bit, I'd say money isn't the real currency involved at all. It's more like a bandaid for the real currency involved.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version