• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2015, 02:53:54 pm »
That's dirty. Must be an SR thing ;).

Also, for the monolith, sweet book, MG 8)!
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2015, 08:55:42 pm »
Couple of grabs:

David Gemmell: Rigante #3: Ravenheart - Well I can never resist a Gemmell. SB in great condition.
£2.00 from British Heart Foundation.

Brandon Sanderson: The Stormlight Archive #1 Part #1: The Way of Kings - Kind of annoyed that it is only Part 1. I am going to either have to find Part 2 or the whole compilation in a big HB. SB in good condition.
£3.00 from British Heart Foundation.

Jim Butcher: Dresden Files: White Night - SB in brand new condition.
Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson: Paul of Dune - This covers the years between Dune and Dune Messiah. I doubt I will read this, if I did it would be after the main series and probably after some of the other EU works. SB in great condition.
Buy 1 get one free £2.25 for both.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2015, 11:54:50 am »
Couple of purchases - new ones as well!

George R. R. Martin: Game of Thrones: A Storm of Swords Part II: Blood and Gold
- Nearly have all of the Game of Thrones series now. Think I have 1 or 2 missing. SB matches all of the set I currently have.
Joe Abercrombie: Shattered Sea Trilogy: Half a King - Thought I would pick this up. SB.
It was buy one get one half price from WHSmiths so it was £9.99 for GoT and £8.99 for Half a King. £14.50 for both.

Robert Jordan: Conan Chronicles 2 - New softback on clearance.
Guess Waterstones were just clearing stock. 0.99p :)

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2015, 01:51:11 pm »
Couple of purchases:

Frank Herbert: Children of Dune - HB in great condition. This is the 1981 first edition hardcover. Wilshire - we need to talk more about identifying print versions etc. as I want to identify this book. I found it was a first edition by using the ISBN in Google.
Terry Pratchett: Soul Music - SB in brand new condition. Same as most of the other Pratchett covers I have.
David and Leigh Eddings: The Redemption of Althalus - SB in brand new condition.
3 for £1 at a charity store. Absolute bargain!

Joe Halderman: Peace and War
Large SB which consists of all three of the Halderman War series: The Forever War, Forever Free and Forever Peace - been after this one for a while so was a great find.
£2.50 from the British Heart Foundation.

Very sad to find my usual market trader (the one who keeps his eye out for me) has closed for business as he is retiring. Guess I will have to just keep haunting the usual stores.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2015, 02:17:03 pm »
lol - calling me out like i would read your post....:P

There are a lot of different copies of all the dune books, and I don't know who the 'original' publisher was. Most of the books dont have number lines or easy identification, and there are tons of books club editions, revised editions, editions with extras from the author, etc. etc. Probably a thousand different 'first editions' out there from all kinds of publishers.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2015, 02:29:43 pm »
If I write it - he will come!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/870317.God_Emperor_of_Dune

Above is the cover type - the ISBN number matches (does this differ between publications?) and it is labelled as Gollancz. I would just love to check if this was a first edition as it looks like it was published on the release date of the novel as well.

Thanks for your help Wilshire :)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2015, 03:39:47 pm »
according to:
http://www.nationallibrary.fi/publishers/isbn/newisbn.html

No new ISBN is needed for:
Changes in price
Change of printing year
Correction of misprints
New cover picture
Change of printer

So, if its not price clipped, and if it has the same cover/printer/printing-year its probably a first edition.

If there was any changes (other than printing errors)  or updates, or a new publisher, it would need a new ISBN.

Seems likely that you found a first edition.

I dont know of any way to track whether or not its a 1st printing without the number line. Probably you'd have to find a list (if one exists) of errors that may have existed in the first and/or early printings that were later corrected (errors that wouldn't require an ISBN change), then cross-reference that with your copy to see if you have a first/early print or a later one.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2015, 07:27:48 pm »
Well I bought a couple of things:

Terry Brooks: The First King of Shannara - SB good condition.
Terry Brooks: Shannara #1: The Sword of Shannara - SB good condition.
Terry Brooks: Shannara #3: The Wishsong of Shannara - SB good condition.
Terry Brooks: The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara #2: Antrax - SB good condition.
Terry Brooks: The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara #3: Morgawr - SB good condition.
Terry Brooks: High Druid of Shannara #1: Jarka Ruins - HB in great condition with DJ.
Terry Brooks: High Druid of Shannara #2: Tanequil - HB in great condition with DJ.
Terry Brooks: The Heritage of Shannara #1: The Scions of Shannara - SB good condition.
Terry Brooks: The Heritage of Shannara #3: The Elf Queen of Shannara - HB in good condition with DJ. 1992 1st edition.
3 for £1 at the car boot. So got the lot for £3

I probably own most of these but I know I am missing some so just bought the lot of them. Fairly tempted to dig through all of my books and take all of the spare copies to trade to fill in other sets.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2015, 09:45:14 pm »
China Mieville: Iron Council. Hardcover 1st/1st, some shelf wear.
Lois McMaster Bujold: Paladin of Souls. Paperback, good condition
Robin Hobb: Assassin's Apprentice. Paperback, good condition

All former library books but with minimal stamps/etc. $1 total for all 3.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2015, 04:57:12 pm »
Nice Wilshire - I really want that and number 3 of the Chalion series. The first one was really good. Nice on the 1st/1st.

Picked a few things up over the last week:

Joe Abercrombie: The First Law #3: Before They Are Hanged - HB wirh DJ in mint condition, 1st/1st I think - only information related to printing is a number 1 on a line by itself which I assume to be the number line.
£1.50 from Cancer Research UK.

Greg Bear: The Forge of God - SB in good condition, minor wear.
£2.50
Olaf Stapledon: Star Maker - SB in good condition - it's one of the SF Masterworks covers (Number 21) and I think I already have 2 others and I know Waterstones are selling about 7-8 of them.
£2.50
Both from British Heart Foundation.

Karen Miller: A Blight of Mages - HB new.
99p from the works

Brandon Sanderson: The Alloy of Law
- HB new.
£1 from the Poundstore.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2015, 05:27:07 pm »
Got a few things today:

Douglas Adams: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy #1: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Douglas Adams: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy #2: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Douglas Adams: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy #3: Life, the Universe and Everything
Douglas Adams: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy #4: So Long, and Thankyou for the Fish
Douglas Adams: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy #5: Mostly Harmless- SB collection in good condition, all matching. The first book is the DIY cover with the original stickers still in the cover insert which is sweet - I'll just leave them there. :)
Valerio Massimo: Alexander #1: Child of a Dream - SB in good condition - minor wear.
3 for £1 so £2 for all from Debra.

George R. R. Martin: Game of Thrones #5: A Dance with Dragons Part II: After the Feast - SB in good condition.
Steven Erikson: Malazan Book of the Fallen #3: Memories of Ice - SB in good condition.
£2.25 each but buy 1 get 1 free so £2.25 for both from Arthiritis UK.

Kim Stanley Robinson: A Future History of Mars #3: Blue Mars - SB in good condition - minor wear.
£0.69 from Bluebell Wood.

R. Scott Bakker: The Aspect Emperor #1: The Judging Eye - HB with DJ in great condition. BCA First Edition.
Tad Williams: The Shadowmarch Trilogy #2: Shadowplay - HB with DJ in great condition. BCA First Edition.
Patrick Rothfuss: The Kingkiller Chronicles #1: The Name of the Wind - HB with DJ in great condition. BCA First Edition.
£2 each from Cancer Research UK.
Already have TJE and TNotW but not in hardcover.

Pleased with the Douglas Adams :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 07:25:53 pm by SilentRoamer »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2015, 01:37:53 pm »
Managed to find two old books I have wanted for a while:

Alfred Bester: The Stars My Destination
- SB in good condition - general wear.
Richard Mathieson: The Shrinking Man - SB in good condition - general wear.
Both are from the SF Masterworks range which I am building a healthy collection of.
It was BOGOFF and the most expensive was £1.99, so £1.99 for both from Arthritis Research UK.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2015, 03:51:58 pm »
Couple of books:

Terry Pratchett: A Hat Full of Sky - HB with DJ in great condition. 1st edition 2nd printing. Nice looking book - embossing and artwork.
£1 from a car booter.
William Gibson: Neuromancer - HB with DJ in good condition.
£2 from a car booter.

Gail Z. Martin: The Ascendat Saga #1: Ice Forged - SB in good condition.
Isaac Asimov: Second Foundation - SB in good condition.
£1.99 for both at Arthiritis Research UK

Patrick Rothfuss: Kingkiller Chronicles #2: The Wise Man's Fear
- SB in good condition.
£2.00 from British Heart Foundation.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:48:14 pm by SilentRoamer »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2015, 07:51:37 pm »
The Crystal Shard by R.A. Salvatore. Hardcover, good condition. first print (not first edition)
The Lone Drow by R.A. Salvatore. Hardcover, good condition. first/first
The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan, Trade paperback, very good condition, appears unread, very minor shelf wear
The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan, Trade paperback, very good condition, appears unread, very minor shelf wear
The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan, Trade paperback, very good condition, appears unread, very minor shelf wear
The Judging Eye by R Scott Bakker, Hardcover, very good condition. first/first.
The Whiteluck Warrior by R Scott Bakker, Hardcover, very good condition. first/first.
The Great Wine Encyclopedia Large hardback, like new.

Sale was $0.10 per inch (width of spine), all for a total of $1.05.

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown, Hardcover, Like-new, appears unread and no shelf wear
The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown, Hardcover, Like-new, appears unread and no shelf wear
Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie, Large Softcover, very good condition, First print but not first edition maybe (1 2 3 4 5 08 09 10 11 12)
And Other Things by Eoin Colfer, Hardcover, Like-New, unread no shelf wear, First/First (probably only one print out ther :P)
Where Do We Go From Here? edited by Isaac Asimov (sci-fi short stories), good condition, some wear on spine [Stories by Asimov,  Bixby, Blish, Clarke, Clement, del Rey,  A. J. Deutsch, Rothman, Gunn, Heinlein, Piper, Morrison, Niven, Stuart,  Tevis,  Weinbaum]
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov, good condition, wear on spine
The Key to Creation by Kevin J Anderson, Large softcover, like new, first/first

Fill up a cart for $10, so I threw some in there that looked pretty but probably wont read, Chickshire filled the remaining space with about 20+ gardening and cooking books.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2015, 12:26:17 pm »
Welcome to the fold Wilshire. Hahaha I like to think this is my bad influence.

I really like the old short anthologies like Where do things go from here and Dangerous Visions and that sort of stuff. Really gets the brain firing.

Nice haul their Wilshire.