The False Sun

• 99 Replies

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2015, 10:54:11 am »
It would probably come up during interrogation of Skin-Spies, but the Skin-Spies themselves don't seem to actually know what it is so Kellhus would have little more than a name and a vague context.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2015, 06:34:30 pm »
Do we know for sure if any of the characters in WLW know about the Inverse Fire? Is it possible that they could just blunder into it?
I dont think anyone we know of is completely aware of its existence. They could accidentally look into it :P. Maybe the Consult has put the IF out in a field somewhere and hope that Kellhus and the ordeal turn it on and then all join their side... like Madara's Infinite Tsukuyomi :P
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2015, 01:41:40 am »
Do we know for sure if any of the characters in WLW know about the Inverse Fire? Is it possible that they could just blunder into it?
I dont think anyone we know of is completely aware of its existence. They could accidentally look into it :P. Maybe the Consult has put the IF out in a field somewhere and hope that Kellhus and the ordeal turn it on and then all join their side... like Madara's Infinite Tsukuyomi :P

THAT WAS FUN TO GOOGLE

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Infinite_Tsukuyomi

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2017, 08:22:11 pm »
I am reading through TSA again, and I did not read this the first time. I somehow missed it.

Is there any way to get this on pdf so I can transfer it to my kindle?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2017, 09:04:44 pm »
This link: http://rsbakker.wordpress.com/stories/the-false-sun/

Down at the bottom of the text, above the comments, there is a "Share this:" section.

Click More.

Click print.

Select PDF.

Royce, I can't believe you missed this story :)

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2017, 09:47:28 pm »

Down at the bottom of the text, above the comments, there is a "Share this:" section.

Click More.

Click print.

Select PDF.

Thanks Wilshire. Yeah, I am not sure how that happened either:).  When is it recommended to read this story?  I have not read TSA in almost 3 years so I remember very little of it.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2017, 12:03:27 am »
It was marked as potential TGO spoilers. I'd say its not at all a spoiler. It does provide some nice background for some of the new characters in TGO.

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2017, 04:06:31 am »

Click More.

Click print.

Select PDF.

Thanks Wilshire. Yeah, I am not sure how that happened either:).  When is it recommended to read this story?  I have not read TSA in almost 3 years so I remember very little of it.

Honestly I think the story itself can be read pretty much at any point after the first trilogy. I actually think it would have made for a crazy-as-fuck epilogue to The Judging Eye or something, but it is rather long and relatively self-contained (sorta).

It still feels like 100% essential reading to me, way more than the other shorts, though I suppose that feeling could change after TUC.

Anwurat

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2017, 06:57:37 am »

Bakker said this about it,

But the very reason I enjoyed writing “The False Sun” so much is also the reason I need to issue a SEVERE SPOILER ALERT. The Second Apocalypse is big, so big that the narrative and thematic dimensions only come into collective focus here and there. ”The False Sun” is a story about the origins of the Consult, and so brings together the historical and metaphysical dimensions of the greater saga in a decisive way. Nothing is spoiled in terms of plot, but in terms of setting, this story cuts against the way the details of the World have been rationed over the course of the series. Drawing the curtain back on Golgotterath is something I’ve reserved for The Unholy Consult.

Thus the spoiler alert: Reading “The False Sun” will have a profound impact on your reading of The Unholy Consult, and if you are as jealous of your narrative surprises as I am, you might want to set this story on the back-burner.

This was before TUC was split into two books I think.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2017, 01:41:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Auwurat :) . (or at least, your first post )

Yeah, I've seen that before and I must say that I don't really get it. Bakker has a somewhat different view on what a spoiler is, and he also waffles quite a bit. He will reveal, in an offhand remark to someone, what I think are major spoilers but he doesn't think twice about. And then you've got this, a major warning  about plot structure spoilers that so far haven't really panned out at all.

Not that I don't understand. He has been jealously guarding his story, parceling it out exactly as he wanted.

Still though, I think for the average readers, TFS would not constitute a spoiler in any traditional sense of the word.