What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: May 07, 2013, 01:48:39 am »
Quote from: Madness
The False Sun[/u]

A tale of Shaeonanra, Gift of Light, the Grandvizier of the Mengaecca shortly before he is convicted of impiety and his School is outlawed, a man well on his way towards his future as Shauriatas, the Cheater of the Gods.

Major Spoiler Rating for the Second Apocalypse

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:48:45 am »
Quote from: Sideris
I'm still torn at which of the current tales I like more. I love False Sun for the glimpse into the Consult's beginning, Titirga's sheer presence, the implications of Compulsion, and perhaps the funniest dick joke in all of Second Apocalypse so far. I'm desperately hoping Titirga may have a whole reference in the expanded encyclopedia coming out after TUC. His childhood blindness, the connections with blindness and the Outside that have been in constant debate since the books (and more importantly, since this came out as well) have made for excellent foof for thought in my off hours when I'm in an SA mood.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 01:48:52 am »
Quote from: Jorge
Plainly.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 01:48:58 am »
Quote from: cielago
the expanded encyclopedia coming out after TUC.

is this going to be a separate volume, or an expanded version of the one in the back of TTT? how confirmed is it?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 01:49:03 am »
Quote from: Brother_Jacob
Its hilarious how Bakker gets attacked by some for his characterisation, and Martin gets praised for introducing the Red Viper and bringing him to life in a single chapter.  For mine Titirga is on par with Oberyn.

I do find his end underwhelming.  I suppose that was the point of it, but still.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 01:49:09 am »
Honestly, seeing as he started shouting Cants as he was falling, I maintain - even with the mountain falling on his head - he was just working his way back up to deliver a beating after those two were finished jacking around. Clearly.

And @cielago, it's not really confirmed yet, but the more Bakker talks about it, the more it seems uncertainty creeps in. Seems like both are going to be huge works.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 01:49:14 am »
Quote from: sciborg2
Did Seswatha see the Inverse Fire? And if sorcerers know they are damned, why become a sorcerer at all?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 01:49:19 am »
Quote from: Callan S.
The massive power of the Tekne...
(click to show/hide)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 01:49:25 am »
Quote from: Cynical Cat
Did Seswatha see the Inverse Fire? And if sorcerers know they are damned, why become a sorcerer at all?

Power, the fact that some believe they can cheat damnation, and that it is not merely sorcerers who are damned.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 01:49:29 am »
Quote from: Swense
Quote from: Cynical Cat

Power, the fact that some believe they can cheat damnation, and that it is not merely sorcerers who are damned.

I think there's a fair number of agnostic sorcerers too.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 01:49:36 am »
Quote from: The Sharmat
I initially thought that there were actually some atheists kicking around in the Three Seas. Akka's roommate/lover laughing at the Tractate, Eleazaras despair upon his deciding Kellhus is a prophet and that they really are damned, etc...Not so sure now though.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 01:49:41 am »
Why aren't you sure any more? It stands to reason athiests would exist... I mean there's more direct proof of god in this universe, but it hardly availible to the average person or conclusive.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 01:50:18 am »
Just seems later on that even in internal monologue no one ever doubts the existence of the Gods in some form.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 01:50:24 am »
Quote from: Madness
Kellhus did go a long way to polarizing all atheists and agnostics. In my mind, you're a theist even if you think Kellhus is a demon. But most of the atheists and agnostics - many of them originally Schoolman - bent knee to a living God after the Prince of Nothing.

Its hard to be atheist or agnostic in light of Kellhus' "supposed" Divinity. He's offering freedom from damnation. And cookies.

Though, this is not a commentary on my belief on Kellhus. Just how he looks from inside these beliefs.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 01:50:32 am »
Just seems later on that even in internal monologue no one ever doubts the existence of the Gods in some form.

Agree with Madness. Plus, it's more the PoVs we get - most everyone is so wrapped up in Kellhusmania that being an atheist is unlikely, or after they've seen Cil-Aujas they've literally walked through hell so atheism would have to be reconsidered.