General Writing Question : Menial Tasks Vs Theme Engaging Acts

• 2 Replies

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« on: July 13, 2016, 01:18:27 am »
Awful question :- In trying to write myself a problem I've run into is simply heading towards having the protagonists have tasks to do that...are really just tasks. Hurdles that fill out page count - and it seems really empty to me (or at least I have a problem with it)

I recently thought of having tasks tied to themes (maybe that should be obvious?). Except perhaps the problem had been that how do physical tasks tie into ideas/philosophical notions - climbing a mountain doesn't exactly change an idea, does it? Which is possibly what I have always had trouble with in my writing - nothing (physical) seems to affect anything (philosophical). So what to write about that isn't the same as writing a story about grinding in world of warcraft? And you can't spin a yarn with just pure philosophical musings (or at least it ceases to be a yarn - when my goal is to write a yarn). But...it eventually struck me that characters wrecking the shit of some faction with a differing philosophy to them is some kind of physical act that interacts with theme. Basically the other philosophical faction has 10 things important to part of it's plan - great, if I can do 100 words on a character wrecking each one, then that's 1k words, lol! Does that cut the mustard? Or am I back to trying to write stories about really cool grinding events (which can work if willing to go to utter flattery...)

Just trying to get writing tips without paying for a class - learn'n fur frees! Told you it was a bad question!  :o

Michael Murden

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 12:54:28 pm »
Speaking as a reader, I think you might be best served by just telling a good story.  I wouldn't be surprised if the philosophy takes care of itself as your story telling skill improves.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 10:57:12 pm »
'a good story', such damning words, lol! :)

What is 'good', eh?

I'd say it's the reverse - that 'good' stories are all about philosophy - that happens to match the readers own philosophy. Ie, Sauron must die! Who questions that Sauron must die? No one - it's a philosophy, but basically invisible in the lord of the rings books. Invisible philosophy for not being questioned. And so you start with philosophy rather than get to it, I'd say from looking at that. Wrecking the physical shit of the other philosophy, or advancing, terminator like as did Frodo, towards wrecking the shit of the other philosophy.

That's what I've figured in figuring out how to write a 'good' story >:)