Board Games and Miniatures

• 152 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« on: December 18, 2017, 06:24:23 pm »
Starting this thread off Q conversation, here are some miniatures I had professionally painted. The first 3 are from a game called Kingdom Death: Monster. 2 and 3 are the same figure painted by 2 different artists. The 4th is from Malifaux.

https://i.imgur.com/VCebAKx.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VKQucyY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/x9HcMUB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BpTBoYR.jpg
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 06:35:16 pm »
Great stuff.  I'll try to get some pictures of some of my Warhammer stuff up eventually.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 07:29:24 pm »
I'm learning to play a new board game I got with my oldest son ( he's almost 15 years old ) called Lobotomy - it's about you're a patient in an insane asylum and trying to escape. The Warden figure is worth the price of the game, one of the funniest figures ever made. Mind you, the Warden doesn't actually look like this, of course - he's just a human. This is how the Warden appears to you, as a delusionary phycho trying to escape the hospital, LOL! You have to kill "monsters" who are just other people and staff with "weapons" which may just be a potted plant for which you think is a gun. Clever game.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/272/612/26f6de3bd5268ae253d18ed3c6874077_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1438880364&auto=format&q=92&s=561d9c87dc0ff333ffc2ddef3c4f654e

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 11:56:26 pm »
Awesome stuff, Tao. Would definitely love to see your Warhammer figures, H. Kinda wish I had gotten into it as a kid, I don't have the time or space for it now but it's always awesome seeing what other people have done with the figures.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 11:58:40 pm »
Completely forgot about this thread. Will have some pix coming up soon.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 03:25:11 pm »
Awesome stuff, Tao. Would definitely love to see your Warhammer figures, H. Kinda wish I had gotten into it as a kid, I don't have the time or space for it now but it's always awesome seeing what other people have done with the figures.

Working on getting stuff organized.  Just built a corner desk to help with that.  Might try to snap a few pictures soon.  Nothing is really painted though, unfortunately...

Some more nasties for ya

https://i.imgur.com/sYBpujv.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ur1glqD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RJ5FtLe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iKgjOt5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SqlaRQ4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4RbuJom.jpg

Nice stuff.  That blue guy is a really cool mini it seems, as is that "black knight" with the huge flail.

I like a boxum woman, but some of those sculpts,  :o  ::)  ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:28:52 pm by H »
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 03:54:54 pm »
Here's another view of that knight with the huge flail, I love the art of it ( thing is too big to be wieldy, hee hee ).

https://i.imgur.com/QdCTeXl.jpg

Yeah, Kingdom Death ( the game whose miniatures you're referring to ) gets a lot of flack on the portrayal of their fe-male figures. Their response has been consistent, they "create without restriction" - nice way of telling anyone to fuck off if they don't like it, LOL.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 04:41:25 pm »
Here's another view of that knight with the huge flail, I love the art of it ( thing is too big to be wieldy, hee hee ).

https://i.imgur.com/QdCTeXl.jpg

Yeah, Kingdom Death ( the game whose miniatures you're referring to ) gets a lot of flack on the portrayal of their fe-male figures. Their response has been consistent, they "create without restriction" - nice way of telling anyone to fuck off if they don't like it, LOL.

I just feel it's a little bit more over-the-top than I'd prefer.  Mind you, I like some over-the-top-ness.  Too much though and you're not over the top, there just isn't a top...it's maybe a case of when everything is made to stand out, nothing does?

Also, came across this company recently: Mierce Miniatures.

If I was rich, I'd probably get every one of them...

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 04:47:18 pm »
If it's too over-the-top, it becomes.....topless! Yowsa!
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 05:16:34 pm »
Yeah, I've got some from them, Mierce Miniatures. Tasty stuff. There's some killer stuff out there ( Dark Sword and even some Reaper stuff ). Let me tell you, I have learned a lot - for one, fuck resin, I don't give a shit how cool they can make the figure look - too fucking hard to glue that shit together and they break easy. I'm almost only going for fully formed sculpts for now on. Once painted, the full plastic ones look great and they're getting better and better making them with nice details. Some of the best figures coming out are with board games selling on kickstarter ( check out Vampire Hunters, Zombicide, Rising Sun, Darkness Sabotage, Village Attacks, The Edge: Dawnfall, Middara ), you get a LOT of bang for your buck backing one of those getting a bunch of very cool miniatures and a cool ass board game to boot. If you like cool fantasy art, check out Middara, that is one beautiful game ( I think the last chance to jump in is Jan 31st as a late backer ). I'm backing that one and grabbed the art book as an add-on. Village Attacks is awesome, the theme is very clever - you play the monsters in a haunted castle and the villagers are the "enemy" who come to kill you off, hee hee. Darkness Sabotage ( a sci-fi horror themed game ) is by a Canadian company, wicked cool monster miniatures and has a mode where you can play the demons ( more hee hee hee's from me! ). Poland is hot with board games these days with The Edge hailing from there - these cats are doing an interesting tech/fantasy theme and the mini's are dope; another game of their, Lords of Hellas, is shipping now to backers ( didn't back that one ) and has greek mythological creatures done up "techy", kinda cool.

For those in the US, a game was offered in kickstarter called The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - I backed that one since I have some personal connection to the location in NY ( I'm from near there originally ). VERY cool art, not many miniatures, but the ones it has look nice. I wonder how well known that legend is outside USA ( I'm guessing Canadians know of it, it's location is closer to Canada than most of the USA ).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:19:36 pm by TaoHorror »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 05:43:32 pm »
Yeah, I've never had a good experience with resin, honestly.  Plastic is just so much better, in every way.

As for Kickstarters, a lot of those look nice, but it's hard for me to spend, when I am both poor and having a metric ton of Warhammer stuff that needs to be built and painted, haha.

However, this campaign looks pretty interesting and is something I'm going to take a look at when it comes online (January 16th).

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 05:58:48 pm »
Warhammer stuff that needs to be built and painted, haha.

Get on it! We want to see! I hear ya about the money, I'm tapping out soon on this stuff as well - I turned 50 this past year and the wife agreed to me doing something silly and irresponsible ... in other words, "fun".

However, this campaign looks pretty interesting and is something I'm going to take a look at when it comes online (January 16th).

Yeah, I was planning on backing that one too ... sigh ... trying to stop myself from having a KS "problem", but too much cool shit is coming out, not my fault! I've been contributing to their ( may be fan created, not sure ) facebook page, you should consider following it, they've released a lot of photos of the mini's on it. I've given them feedback on how I think the mini's are too similar looking, so hoping the stretch goals provide some variety ... but looks wicked.

I have an idea for a game, but not sure I have it in me to pursue it ( would need to design it, ensure proper game logic, team up with an artist ... could be a fuckload of work. )

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 06:12:19 pm »
Get on it! We want to see! I hear ya about the money, I'm tapping out soon on this stuff as well - I turned 50 this past year and the wife agreed to me doing something silly and irresponsible ... in other words, "fun".

The other issue is free time...my hope is that I can get fully organized and then make some small headway.  Perhaps one of the kids will take an interest too.

Yeah, I was planning on backing that one too ... sigh ... trying to stop myself from having a KS "problem", but too much cool shit is coming out, not my fault! I've been contributing to their ( may be fan created, not sure ) facebook page, you should consider following it, they've released a lot of photos of the mini's on it. I've given them feedback on how I think the mini's are too similar looking, so hoping the stretch goals provide some variety ... but looks wicked.

I have an idea for a game, but not sure I have it in me to pursue it ( would need to design it, ensure proper game logic, team up with an artist ... could be a fuckload of work. )

Yeah, they'd make some interesting Barbarians/Giants for other games (namely t9A) so I am going to keep an eye on it.

How neat would a Warhammer-esque tSA game be?  Just as long as no one gets to be Kellhus, haha.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 08:28:43 pm »
How neat would a Warhammer-esque tSA game be?  Just as long as no one gets to be Kellhus, haha.

That would be wicked - I brought up making a board game version of TSA, but was in the D&D thread I think, so didn't get any traction.