Greetings!

• 5 Replies

Triune Impurity Rites 999

• Emwama
  • Adam Om Kadmon Nom Kadom Kod Mada Kam
    • View Profile
« on: May 26, 2020, 03:12:49 am »
Hello everyone,

Big fan of Bakker. I found the first trilogy at Value Village and saw that it was compared to G. R. R. Martin, and thought I would give it a try. I had read all the books from The Song of Ice and Fire at that point (I think, Dancing with Dragons) and thought this was be an interesting delve. I realized when I got to Esmenet's encounter with the Shrial Knight who shot black seed that I had definitely stumbled upon something vastly different than anything I had ever read. Needless to say I was hooked. Obviously I was caught up in Kellhus and really tried to like him the way I would most (anti)hero characters.
(click to show/hide)

In a masochistic sort of way, I think, I have found possibly the greatest fiction I have ever read. The world is unreal in its creation, the concepts I could talk about for hours, the brutality and the love, the twisting of our common conceptions of good and evil; everything makes Martin's work look like easy school reading for children. I am about a third the way through The White Luck Warrior audiobook, first the time I ever decided to cough up and spend money on listening to some old dude attempt to moan sexually like a woman. Worth it. I am catching a ton of plot points I missed before (admittedly I am a stoner, and sometimes the combination does not make for great reading comprehension).

I cannot wait for the next series. I have given up any childish hopes that this will end good. Good in the way of Sanderson, or Howard, or Donaldson.
(click to show/hide)

Anyways, that is my background with Bakker, I do plan on exploring his other publications, as well. I am glad to be a part of this community and I hope to learn a thing or two from other people's insights.

Cheers,
Pendragon
He set engravings carved in stone
Supernal secrets to be known
The stars rotate around His crown
His judging hand is pointing down

Witnessing
Supernal specula
Eyes glistening
Delightful in listening

To His word
A drone of sound to reap their minds
Radiance
Holy (Holy, Holy!) is His utterance

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 12:33:51 pm »
Awesome! Welcome to the forum. You're definitely in the right place.

FWIW, I listen to a lot of audiobooks, and must unfortunately say that TAE (or at least TUC) are pretty poorly done. I can't bring myself to listen to them, so its been a while since I've done a series reread.

One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 01:02:29 pm »
Well met, Pendragon. Also, great name and great display name. Glad you decided to join us.

There are dozens of us! (Arrested Development joke ;).)
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 01:44:18 pm »
Welcome, welcome!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 08:09:21 pm »
Mmmm, fresh blood.

Welcome, hopefully you will find some discussion interesting and worth participating in.  Feel free to correct us early and often, we are mostly just old and set in our ways.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Triune Impurity Rites 999

• Emwama
  • Adam Om Kadmon Nom Kadom Kod Mada Kam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 09:46:16 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the welcome.

FWIW, I listen to a lot of audiobooks, and must unfortunately say that TAE (or at least TUC) are pretty poorly done. I can't bring myself to listen to them, so its been a while since I've done a series reread.

I honestly feel pretty similar. It is just weird, like seeing another person's artist expression of how characters might look within our own soul's eye, and it being different. I feel like the PoN audio books were better, I have them on audible, and the speaker would announce the chapters. For TAE, this is lacking, and sometimes when I am working and listening, I'll find I need to backtrack, but not sure how far. Still, it is a welcome change of pace to my usual employment of my hearing which is mostly listening to death metal.

Well met, Pendragon. Also, great name and great display name. Glad you decided to join us.

Thanks, I get asked a lot of King Arthur. I have since given up trying to explain he never actually existed as we think of him. Now I just say "of no relation". As for the display name, well, Necros Christos is my favorite band! 999

Welcome, hopefully you will find some discussion interesting and worth participating in.  Feel free to correct us early and often, we are mostly just old and set in our ways.

I have been lurking here for a while, and I have pretty impressed with the fan-theory. Also, the revelations of other readers' insights have helped a lot, as well. I should admit that I love spoilers, so I look for them wherever I have roamed, but I am as yet all caught up in the Second Apocalypse readings. Note that I do intend to safeguard others with correctly used spoiler tags, as the best to my ability.
He set engravings carved in stone
Supernal secrets to be known
The stars rotate around His crown
His judging hand is pointing down

Witnessing
Supernal specula
Eyes glistening
Delightful in listening

To His word
A drone of sound to reap their minds
Radiance
Holy (Holy, Holy!) is His utterance