[TGO SPOILERS] Kellhus Foreshadowing the End of TGO?

• 4 Replies

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« on: June 24, 2016, 02:17:23 pm »
Chapter 9, TJE:

"The White-Luck," he whispered in a voice that was the sky, the curve of all horizons, "shall break against you."

She gazed up at his face through sting and tears, and it seemed that in it she could see every face, the mien of all those who had bent upon her in Sumna, when she had kept a whore's bed.

"How? How can you know?"

"Because the anguish that makes mud of all your thoughts, because the fear that stains your days, because all your regret and anger and loneliness..." A haloed hand cupped her cheek. Blue eyes sounded her to the bottommost fathoms.

"All this makes you pure."

Is he bullshitting her?  It's possible at the time that he could have been, but now it sure seems he wasn't.

I'm completely on the fence, but at this moment I am kind of leaning toward him actually knowing Esmenet was never really in danger.  And since he knows she really isn't, then she is the perfect bait to lure out the White-Luck Warrior/Yatwer.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 04:44:10 pm by Madness »
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 04:34:29 pm »
Good catch, H. That seems to suggest so, though I don't know if it just isn't Kellhus being who he needs to be at that moment, like Serwa explains later on. I really don't think Esme broke the White-Luck, Kelmommas did. Just doing what Kellhus does best, tell you what you want to hear.

ETA: dying to have my own copy of TGO. So need to do a slow re-read and dissect this book.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:40:45 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 04:40:12 pm »
Good catch, H. That seems to suggest so, though I don't know if it just isn't Kellhus being who he needs to be at that moment, like Serwa explains later on. I really don't think Esme broke the White-Luck, Kelmommas did. Just doing what Kellhus does best, tell you what you want to hear.

Indeed, I would tend to agree with you, but there is a way of looking at what happened as Kellhus using Esmenet as a shield of sorts, because what drove Kel to do what he did was her.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 04:42:26 pm »

Indeed, I would tend to agree with you, but there is a way of looking at what happened as Kellhus using Esmenet as a shield of sorts, because what drove Kel to do what he did was her.

Right, I never thought of it that way. Did you get the feel that she was dead reading that section? I never did, though I can see were people think so.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 04:49:19 pm »

Right, I never thought of it that way. Did you get the feel that she was dead reading that section? I never did, though I can see were people think so.

Not at first, but the text really doesn't give you much to work with.

A literal reading leaves you with no real way to know.  I think she is alive though, just because I don't feel like her story is over yet.