mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2014, 05:34:11 pm »
Wondering if a sorcerer could develop a tolerance for chorae?  Was rereading WLW--that part with the captain holding the chorae just in front of cleric's face--it doesn't fit with that other comment from lord knows what book where someone is saying that some nonmen are so marked that they can't even be feet away from a chorae.

Kellhus seems to have no problems in Sakarpus.  I'm sure chorae tolerance is something that he and his father would have pondered/tested (at least on others).  Thinking about iocaine powder in Princess Bride!

Unrelated--would using a chorae be the preferred method to put down a senile and/or mad schoolman by his own school?  Some kind of ritual?  Could be how Iyokus gets his chanv--a secret too terrible, can only be handed down from addict to addict, executioner to executioner.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2014, 10:08:50 pm »
Sorweel notes salting on Kellhus' hand at Sakarpus.

Was rereading WLW--that part with the captain holding the chorae just in front of cleric's face--it doesn't fit with that other comment from lord knows what book where someone is saying that some nonmen are so marked that they can't even be feet away from a chorae.

Curious about this as well - people have used this as argument that Cleric was not really Nil'giccas.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2014, 10:21:58 pm »
Sorweel notes salting on Kellhus' hand at Sakarpus.

Was rereading WLW--that part with the captain holding the chorae just in front of cleric's face--it doesn't fit with that other comment from lord knows what book where someone is saying that some nonmen are so marked that they can't even be feet away from a chorae.

Curious about this as well - people have used this as argument that Cleric was not really Nil'giccas.

I missed the salting!  Will have to back and check it out.  Still wondering if K just keeps some salt up his sleeve to pretend he's vulnerable.  :)

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2014, 02:17:15 am »
I long ago proposed the idea that salt is cleansing, and chorae sort of remove some of the stain of the mark.  but nothing seems to really support that idea.  but you couldn't remove much of the mark at a time, as it seems a close call converts the outer layer of skin to salt, and when it sloughs off, it leaves you with something like a sunburn.  and sorcerers are unlikely to take years off of practicing sorcery to unmark themselves millimeters at a time, suffering an eternal sunburn.  Nonmen might, though.

chemically I've tried pondering how it is that it's salt. The chorae is a catalyst for a chemical conversion or is a chorae a reagent?

I tend to think it's a catalyst, and that a chorae disrupts the chemical suspension of mark and marked.  The chorae causes the metaphysical mark to mix with the physical body, and the reaction results in salt.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:22:16 am by locke »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2014, 10:46:04 am »
I long ago proposed the idea that salt is cleansing, and chorae sort of remove some of the stain of the mark.  but nothing seems to really support that idea.  but you couldn't remove much of the mark at a time, as it seems a close call converts the outer layer of skin to salt, and when it sloughs off, it leaves you with something like a sunburn.  and sorcerers are unlikely to take years off of practicing sorcery to unmark themselves millimeters at a time, suffering an eternal sunburn.  Nonmen might, though.

chemically I've tried pondering how it is that it's salt. The chorae is a catalyst for a chemical conversion or is a chorae a reagent?

I tend to think it's a catalyst, and that a chorae disrupts the chemical suspension of mark and marked.  The chorae causes the metaphysical mark to mix with the physical body, and the reaction results in salt.

I really enjoy that this is pertinent to a series of fantasy books :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2014, 04:07:50 pm »
I'm still hoping that part of the No-God mechanism is to keep a marked soul in a constant, unending state of salt.  Right at the balance of salt/regeneration.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2014, 05:53:42 pm »
actually, thinking about it last night. I think physical and metaphysical are the same state, not different states.  like oil and water are both liquids, but don't mix, physical and metaphysical are both part of the same 'chemical' state, but don't mix.  So to separate the two as different is the wrong perspective, yes they are different, but they are more or less equivalent if you look at them as belonging in the same category together, rather than in different categories.

Which brings you back to the circuit of watcher and watched.  physical and metaphysical.  They're not separate, they're the same.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2014, 02:18:17 pm »

Kellhus seems to have no problems in Sakarpus.  I'm sure chorae tolerance is something that he and his father would have pondered/tested (at least on others).  Thinking about iocaine powder in Princess Bride!

Unrelated--would using a chorae be the preferred method to put down a senile and/or mad schoolman by his own school?  Some kind of ritual?  Could be how Iyokus gets his chanv--a secret too terrible, can only be handed down from addict to addict, executioner to executioner.

Iocaine powder! Colorless, tasteless, and dissolves instantly in water ;)

Where would the mark go once removed? Maybe the chorae itself stores it. Perhaps chorae become less effective over time. For example, the one that Mimara sees appears so holy because it hasn't absorbed much/any Blood of the Onta, but if she looked at some of they College of Lythyme's chorae, who probably use theirs quite often, its glow would appear stinted or discolored.

I'm tired of not know wtf chanv is!
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2014, 04:49:25 pm »
How about this: the Aporetics found that they could salt a sorcerer using the judging eye, then they took grains of it and encased them in little iron balls?  The process of killing quya to *make* chorae might fit with the sort of condemnation the Aporetics received.  It's taboo for the nonmen like cannabilism for humans.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2014, 04:57:13 pm »
How about this: the Aporetics found that they could salt a sorcerer using the judging eye, then they took grains of it and encased them in little iron balls?  The process of killing quya to *make* chorae might fit with the sort of condemnation the Aporetics received.  It's taboo for the nonmen like cannabilism for humans.

Seems the Aporetics were banned from their art prior to chorae invention (from TTT glossary):

After the disaster of Pir Pahal, the Inchoroi had seduced the practitioners of the Aporos, who had been forbidden from pursuing their art. Poisoned by knowledge, they devised the first of the Chorae to render their masters immune to Cûnuroi magic.

So, chronologically, chorae were a relatively new application of the Aporos, and wouldn't have figured into the initial ban.
No whistling on the slog!

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2014, 05:05:24 pm »
Oh yeah--stupid brain.  I hope we get some insight into pre-chorae aporetic stuff.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2014, 05:07:51 pm »
Right?  I'm curious about this, as well.  What had they already done that was so deplorable that the nonmen, of all people, banned them?

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2014, 06:14:15 pm »
They cheated?

If I understand correctly, Aporetic sorcery is only good for undoing the effects of other sorceries. So when used by an Aporetic it's no different from Chorae.

But I'm sure someone who knows better will correct me.  :)

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2014, 07:46:16 pm »
Quya were probably ruling-class, and so wouldn't have their means of control threatened (as has been stated before by others).  But then, I've always thought that the Ishroi were the top of the nonman political pyramid (probably just my own false impression).  Regardless, I wonder how the quya (assumedly) enforced the ban if the Aporetics could just shrug off their sorcery.  Complicit with the ishroi as their enforcers, probably.  Rambling.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2014, 08:20:59 pm »
Enforceable because the practice was in its infancy?  Is it possible that aporetic sorcery was made possible by the Ark's fall and then later came the seduction?  I hope Nin'janjin is mixed up in all of this.