What are you watching?

• 357 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2017, 02:27:09 pm »
I suggest to anyone to watch it, its good tv and a differrent type of show than the norm. To book readers, it does give you a better understanding of the books and aome kick-ass scenes from the booka also. My favorite are the Coming to America scenes....awesome.

MSJ - the Coming to America scenes were awesome - was it just a cool story or did it serve as backdrop for one of the characters ( won't say who to avoid spoiling ) or more?

Anyone watching Preacher?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 02:28:41 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2018, 12:05:06 pm »
Anyone watching Preacher?

Is it good?

I still have all of Season 4 of Vikings to watch and now Season 5 is in full swing.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2018, 01:21:50 pm »
I enjoy Preacher - just a bit too campy/humor for me to say I LOVE it, but I couldn't stop watching it and it is very good at what it's trying to accomplish ( read: I dig it, but there's better stuff out there ). It is FUCKED - UP, so it gets extra points from me on that front.

Is Vikings worth it? Haven't watched any of it, seems intensity for intensity sake at first glance. Does it have art?
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2018, 01:31:44 pm »
Johnathan Strange & Mr Norell on Netflix.

So far, so good.
If you didn't read the book, it's probably confusing, but it does appear to be a pretty good adaption so far for the book fans.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2018, 01:37:26 pm »
I enjoy Preacher - just a bit too campy/humor for me to say I LOVE it, but I couldn't stop watching it and it is very good at what it's trying to accomplish ( read: I dig it, but there's better stuff out there ). It is FUCKED - UP, so it gets extra points from me on that front.

Is Vikings worth it? Haven't watched any of it, seems intensity for intensity sake at first glance. Does it have art?

Might have to add it to the list of things to check out in my nonexistent free time.

Vikings is good, sometimes nearly great, certainly worth watching but not what I would call a "must watch."  If you are interested in the time or the subject matter, do watch, but it's far from perfect.
Johnathan Strange & Mr Norell on Netflix.

So far, so good.
If you didn't read the book, it's probably confusing, but it does appear to be a pretty good adaption so far for the book fans.

I thought the only good thing about the book was the style.  The actual plot wasn't very interesting or engaging to me.  Maybe the show does it better?
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2018, 01:41:40 pm »
Nope, the show follows the book.

Basically (at least so far) its pulling out the plot moments and important scenes, and discards the hundreds of (imo) purple pages in between. What's left is a story thats mostly true to the original, but loses some in translation for those who didnt sift through all the descriptions of the book (which add a lot of good context, but seemed way over the top to me).

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2018, 02:07:04 pm »
Vikings is a great show, especially the first 3 seasons. I think it goes downhill a little bit after that though..

Preacher, I dig it. Never read the comics, so I don't know how true it is to the content.

American Gods is a show everyone should be watching. Get caught up on the first season if you haven't already, 2nd is coming out soon I believe. Follows book very closely.

Netflix movies everyone should watch.
1. Stanger Things, 2 seasons
2. 13 reasons why, 2nd season will air soon
3. Mindhunter- really good, should be called it Mind blown
4. Ozark
5. There's a few more original content I've watched and can't think of right now, will add later.

Plus, if you've never watched Breaking Bad, the whole show is on Netflix. So yourself a favor and watch the best show of all-time, imho.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2018, 02:31:24 pm »
My wife mentioned an interest in Mindhunters, but we haven't had any time to check it out.  Not sure when we will either, unfortunately.

Lately I have been watching nothing but bad YouTube videos and PJ Masks due to our little 3 year old dictator...

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2018, 02:35:10 pm »
Been rewatching the Star Wars OT, just finished empire last night.

I was hoping too get into Knightfall on History, it's about French knights, the Graal, and the end of the Templars. The prefer wasn't great but I have the rest on DVR which I hope to give a shot.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2018, 12:46:39 pm »
Been watching Britannia (don’t expect any respect for History and just watch it like fantasy or you will be pissed off) and The Handmaid’s tale (very good stuff).
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2018, 02:19:33 pm »
Started watching Altered Carbon.
Minus the gratuitous nudity throughout, which is just distracting, it seems like it should be an interesting show.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2018, 03:15:07 pm »
I found the same issue with Bright. Netflix seems to think since they can, they should - for my part referencing the absolutely egregious use of the word "fuck" in Bright.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2018, 03:33:31 pm »
I found the same issue with Bright. Netflix seems to think since they can, they should - for my part referencing the absolutely egregious use of the word "fuck" in Bright.

Yeah. Trying to be cool.

Honestly, there was a naked woman (usually) or man (seldom) in what seemed like every scene. Perhaps not all of them, but they were in the background or even forground of almost every important conversation, and in most of the world-building shots.
I just don't really get it. I mean I appreciate a beautiful naked woman as much as the next guy, but if I'm in that particular mood I don't go looking for it on Netflix or any other tv shows. There's a whole internet for that.

Just like swearing, I'm sure its used to be edgy and to gather more viewers, probably queuing a bunch of subconscious responses to make me want to view it more, but I don't appreciate it lol.

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2018, 01:12:04 am »
I only watched the first ep. of Altered Carbon (read the books way back in the day, loved'em at the time) so I'm curious how the show pans out, but I have been re-watching GoT and I feel the same way in regards to the nudity. I honestly don't think a single episode goes by without some nudity, to the point that it does indeed feel distracting and like they're reaching a quota or something. I've only been watching the newer-ish episodes and it's been too long since I've watched the original few seasons to remember but I don't feel like this was always a thing with the series (though I'm recalling the Littlefinger sexposition from S1 so maybe it was).

Also I realize GoT is like, the paradigm for "HBO sex and violence", but still. Bothered me lol. Even something like Altered Carbon though which is a fairly on the nose riff on the hardboiled detective genre where the hero randomly has sexual relations with like every major female character, it could feel overdone.

It feels extra-egregious perhaps coming right off of The Handmaid's Tale (amazing show by the way, up there with the best IMO) which has perhaps a far better reason for nudity on display yet always seems to show some "restraint", I guess -- weird turn of phrase given the subject matter but you get the idea lol. The same logic applies to graphic violence IMO for that matter.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2018, 06:06:09 pm »
Just watched Mindhunters on Netflix about a week ago. If you haven't seen it, do it know! Excellent show, and I believe its already got approved for a 2nd season. Just excellent.

Also, on Netflix I watch Manhunt: Unabomber. Very good and fascinating. They way they caught/prosecuted him had never been done before ever in a court of law. If you don't know the whole story, watch it. These Netflix originals are way more than I ever expected. Great acting, dialogue and filming. Top notch TV.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,