Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« on: May 12, 2016, 02:00:34 am »
The Aspect-Emperor honours the Nonman Niom sending a son, Moenghus, a daughter, Serwa, and an enemy, the young Horse-King Sorweel, to their mountain become Mansion in the hopes that if the Ordeal conquers Dagliash, the Nonman will lend Nimil and Voice to their mannish cause...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 04:47:23 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 10:16:11 am »
The thing is, did he actually expect it to succeed?  Of course I forgot my ARC at home, so I can't add quotes at the moment, but doesn't Kellhus basically say to Serwa that whole Niom is a fraud?  Just a way to get agents into Ishterebinth?
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 01:50:28 pm »
I think it was kind of like "If it works out then great.  If it doesn't, tear them a new one."  I'm obviously paraphrasing here.  Kellhus would never use a drab word like 'great.'
No whistling on the slog!

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 02:45:40 pm »
I can't give an exact quote, but when Serwa is being tortured, she is thinking back to a conversation with her father, and she asks, "and if Ishterebinth has gone over to the Consult?" That question leads me to believe that Kellhus is not sure. So I suppose this is a gambit on his part.
Honor the Niom? Niom is my middle name.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 02:49:30 pm »
I think it was kind of like "If it works out then great.  If it doesn't, tear them a new one."  I'm obviously paraphrasing here.  Kellhus would never use a drab word like 'great.'

Yeah, he says:

"And if Ishterebinth has fallen to the Consult?  What then, Father?"
A grave look.
"You are my daughter, Serwa," Anasûrimbor Kellhus replied. "Show them my portion."
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 03:09:20 pm »
Wonder what you guys think--did anyone survive?  I had this overwhelming sense of doom at the end, that Serwa was bringing down the mansion on one and all, but Madness didn't get that vibe at all.

Also, if they did survive, it's going to be all kinds of fucked up.  Serwa was tortured, she's basically another Koringhus now.  Is she going to try and kill her dad?  Will she gather 100 stones or murder 99 anagogic schoolmen?  Moe, poor Moe, if alive, is going to be a sad shell.  Sorweel might be a really interesting character after this, but still, he was kind of soul-raped and that is just fucked up.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 03:12:59 pm »
I think there's a Ride of the Valkyries moment coming in TUC.  Serwa, Sorweel, the Tall, The Most Ancient Warrior....  the remnants of Istherebinth (with an army of Emwama) come charging against the Consult near the end.  Brutal.
No whistling on the slog!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 03:16:38 pm »
Wonder what you guys think--did anyone survive?  I had this overwhelming sense of doom at the end, that Serwa was bringing down the mansion on one and all, but Madness didn't get that vibe at all.

Also, if they did survive, it's going to be all kinds of fucked up.  Serwa was tortured, she's basically another Koringhus now.  Is she going to try and kill her dad?  Will she gather 100 stones or murder 99 anagogic schoolmen?  Moe, poor Moe, if alive, is going to be a sad shell.  Sorweel might be a really interesting character after this, but still, he was kind of soul-raped and that is just fucked up.

I think all three of them are going to be alive, I didn't get the sense that they were pulling the whole place down, per se.  Moe will be crazy like daddy now though.  Serwa is going to be even more staunch that Kellhus knew and was right the whole time.  Sorweel, well, I don't know...

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 03:21:34 pm »

I think all three of them are going to be alive, I didn't get the sense that they were pulling the whole place down, per se.  Moe will be crazy like daddy now though.  Serwa is going to be even more staunch that Kellhus knew and was right the whole time.  Sorweel, well, I don't know...

I have to wonder if oblivion has, to some degree, cured some of the Tall so that they will be, at least for awhile, like their old selves.

The Most Ancient Warrior--he's been doing his daily reps to keep his head clear for this day!  He's going to war!!!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 03:43:48 pm »
I have to wonder if oblivion has, to some degree, cured some of the Tall so that they will be, at least for awhile, like their old selves.

The Most Ancient Warrior--he's been doing his daily reps to keep his head clear for this day!  He's going to war!!!

I really hope Oinaral isn't dead, but I have a feeling he might be...

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 03:45:35 pm »

I wonder if what made Cujara Cinmoi so bad ass was that he was both Tall and Quya?

Btw, the scale of the Tall made me go back and think.  The Heron Spear might be really fucking big.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 04:13:11 pm »

I wonder if what made Cujara Cinmoi so bad ass was that he was both Tall and Quya?

Btw, the scale of the Tall made me go back and think.  The Heron Spear might be really fucking big.

I always did think the Heron Spear was more like a recoilless rifle than an actual spear.

How do we know that Cu'jara was a Quya though?  I don't recall that.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 04:34:22 pm »

I always did think the Heron Spear was more like a recoilless rifle than an actual spear.

How do we know that Cu'jara was a Quya though?  I don't recall that.

i don't think we do, i just assumed so because i don't know what else would make him sufficiently tyranty

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 04:36:31 pm »
i wonder if it will matter that the *nonmen* failed to honor the Niom (i'm guessing torture would be a deal-breaker)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 04:39:46 pm »
i don't think we do, i just assumed so because i don't know what else would make him sufficiently tyranty

I don't know, that song makes it seem like his parents were kind of jerks, wanting to keep their bloodline so pure as to be incestuous.

I don't know, of course, that song is probably post-hoc, a rationalization after the fact of what did happen though.