• 16 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: April 19, 2013, 02:14:05 pm »
Quote from: Madness
The one answer I know Bakker always regretted giving... so, of course, I find it proper to tuck it away here.

Quote from: Cu'jara Cinmoi, 2004
I can recap and clarify the info that's been given so far: the Nonmen are an ancient race, the 'original people' of Earwa, who are nearly immortal, and who fought both for and against the No-God during the Apocalypse. They are slowly going insane: their minds can only hold roughly four or five human lifetimes of experiences, and as the centuries pass the traumatic experiences they suffer crowd out their other memories, until now, almost all Nonmen remember only the pain and loss in their lives. And some, like the Nonman (Mekertrig) that Kellhus meets in the Prologue, have taken to creating traumatic experiences just so they can have something to remember...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:14:14 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
What is to regret? Probably a matter of when it was given and who what was said. (Like the dreams).

We pretty much know everything that was said in there, other than maybe the 5x lifetimes which seems inconsequential (which probably means its important).

The one that that gave me pause was:
" the traumatic experiences they suffer crowd out their other memories, until now, almost all Nonmen remember only the pain and loss in their lives."

Whats happening now then?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:14:22 pm »
Quote from: coobek
Ahh. Everybody knew it was old Mek fencing with Kelhus. No harm to the story there I think.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:14:29 pm »
Quote from: Mog Kellhus
I wonder about Mek's current status in the Consult's hierarchy.I believe he is considered unrelieble and they just use him as a glorified errant boy.Perhaps we will see him in TUC in charge of Dagliash's defense.There HAS to be another meeting with Kellhus,right?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 02:14:38 pm »
Quote from: Duskweaver
" the traumatic experiences they suffer crowd out their other memories, until now, almost all Nonmen remember only the pain and loss in their lives."

I'm pretty sure that's just a misplaced comma. It should probably read:

"the traumatic experiences they suffer crowd out their other memories until, now, almost all Nonmen remember only the pain and loss in their lives."

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 02:14:45 pm »

"the traumatic experiences they suffer crowd out their other memories until, now, almost all Nonmen remember only the pain and loss in their lives."

Oh wow thanks. Never would have seen that. Makes sense now.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 02:14:53 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Lol... ah punctuation.

+1 Duskweaver.

Well, I'm sure the answer is there on Three-Seas a couple years later but we'd still be on the fence about it right now, otherwise, neh?

Garet Jax

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 02:17:15 pm »

I agree with the punctuation answer solving the ",until now" vs "until, now,", but what still bugs me about that statement is the "almost all" portion. 

(click to show/hide)

(I know this has been explored in some other threads, but I am feeling like a Necromancer today)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 02:32:01 pm »

I agree with the punctuation answer solving the ",until now" vs "until, now,", but what still bugs me about that statement is the "almost all" portion. 

(click to show/hide)

(I know this has been explored in some other threads, but I am feeling like a Necromancer today)

(click to show/hide)
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 04:32:56 pm »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 01:40:33 am »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 10:18:53 pm »
Does anyone else think it's odd that he says "for and against the No-god," which we were told later should have said Consult instead of No-god. That implies he is now fighting against the Consult.
Honor the Niom? Niom is my middle name.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 02:13:39 pm »
Does anyone else think it's odd that he says "for and against the No-god," which we were told later should have said Consult instead of No-god. That implies he is now fighting against the Consult.

Indeed, it could be something of "confirmation" that perhaps there is more something to the Moe-Mek connection than just a passing meeting.

The line where Mek says something to the effect of, "yes, I see his features in you" could well be a reference to Moe, not to the distant Celmomas, as it seems to be at first blush.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 02:52:03 pm »

Indeed, it could be something of "confirmation" that perhaps there is more something to the Moe-Mek connection than just a passing meeting.

The line where Mek says something to the effect of, "yes, I see his features in you" could well be a reference to Moe, not to the distant Celmomas, as it seems to be at first blush.
I believe he is referring to an ancient Anasurimbor. He grabs his cloak and points to a face and says, this one.
Honor the Niom? Niom is my middle name.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 03:50:08 pm »
I believe he is referring to an ancient Anasurimbor. He grabs his cloak and points to a face and says, this one.

Good point.  I think though that Mek is sufficiently erratic that he may well be fighting both for and against the Consult at the same time, honestly.  He probably is completely aloof and I doubt if the Consult really wants that much of a wild-card on their hands...