What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 05:24:12 pm »
Quote from: Madness
A nervous system is pretty incredible.

I wasn't necessarily +1 that dogs couldn't see images, simply that skin-spies can't apprehend paradox. Duskweaver's been pretty coherent and consistent so far, I've not found reason to doubt presented factual knowledge, if I do challenge perspectives around me as a general rule. I'm interested now though...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 05:24:19 pm »
Quote from: Duskweaver
For the skin-spies to actually understand what the IF is would require them to understand the concept of the soul, which they can't because the soul itself is an endless spiral of self-referencing paradox. So of course the poor things are confused.

More generally, I think soulless beings like skin-spies have trouble with the concept of meaning. They can accept the label "Keeper of the Inverse Fire", but lack the ability to analyse the significance of the label. They process language like a dumb computer: purely in terms of following instructions without associating any deeper meaning to the words.

Asking the skin-spy "What is the Inverse Fire? What do you mean by 'Keeper'?" confuses them because they lack the ability to split the label "Keeper of the Inverse Fire" up into independently meaningful segments. It's like if you program a computer to store "Keeper of the Inverse Fire" as the string $selflabel and then submit a query asking what string "Keeper" is. There is no string that maps to "Keeper" and the computer, because it doesn't actually understand language the way we humans do, is completely unable to figure out that it's part of the string $selflabel, still less to actually take that realisation further to answer the query meaningfully.

I'd have been better off not confusing the issue with the dog/TV analogy, since that might be a purely sensory issue, not one of processing.

pretty coherent and consistent so far
"I am glad I appear so." ;)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 05:24:28 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
most animals can see TV if its displayed at a frame rate higher than 30fps.  but persistence of vision doesn't set in for them at the low rates that humans can be fooled (traditional film 24fps which is barely adequate for human vision is complete rubbish to the less lame eyes of other species).

That is to say 60fps (actually 59.94, but who's counting?) should generally engage the attention of dogs and cats.  Octopuses, otoh, probably need more like 120 fps. 

Clearly Peter Jackson was targeting the wrong audience by upping the frame rate?  Maybe dogs will love Gollum almost as much as nerds do?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 05:24:34 pm »
+1 lockesnow. Thank you for some insight... I tend to appreciate my sensory organs but our vision does pall in comparison to many other species.

Fooling me, Duskweaver :).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 05:24:40 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
Quote from: Conditioned
Are they mimicking what Sheonanra (sp?) feels or are they somehow sort of tuned to him?

I like this idea.  They were pretty much created by the Mangeaca rather than the inchies - Shae might be the genetic template?
Could offer a handy pseudo-explanation as to how they recognize Chigra in the Mandati.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 05:24:48 pm »
I think that though there is dispute about autonomy among the skin-spies, I don't think they are automaton or avatar.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 02:19:27 pm »
In the light of what has been said above, what happens is that the Inchoroi intruded into the superconsciousness of Eärwa which emerged from the minds of mankind (and, prior to that, the Nomen) which shaped reality and, to a much greater degree, the nature of the Outside. In their own world, there was either no superconsciousness, or it was of a very different nature as it was dominated by Inchoroi minds, but on Eärwa the Inchoroi (especially after the wars against Nomen) were a minority and the nature of the Outside was dominated by mankind, leaving no influence to them. As a result, they were caught up in a reality which did not judge them by their own standards, and therefore damned by the superconsciousness of Eärwa, the God. The role of the human members of the Consult is rather similar, although they lack the 'excuse' that their amoral conduct is genuinely part of their nature.

I know this was written before tAE books were published, but am I correct in assuming that this theory was invalidated by the revelation that the Inchoroi were damned long before they came to Eärwa? (Assuming that they're right about that). Or is the emergent super-consciousness of the Men/Nonmen of Eärwa universal?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 02:27:55 pm »
Part II of Thorsten's theory doesn't address the "emergent super-consciousness of the Men/Nonmen of Eärwa" and the Gods coexisting?

I should really take the time to respond to Part I & II because I do think there are holes.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 02:43:14 pm »
If this theory is correct wouldn't that imply that the Inchoroi only became damned after they came to Eärwa? (I got the sense that that's what he thinks anyway, but I could be wrong.) That contradicts what Wutteät said at the end of TWLW.

I don't think he addressed that in part II but I'll have to reread it.

On a side note, I would love to hear Thorsten's thoughts on the Inverse Fire and the White-Luck.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:46:48 pm by Nskoghar »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 06:43:09 pm »
When I have more time.

I too wish Thorsten would attempt another Metaphysics since WLW/FS but I perhaps it's best to wait till TUC at this point.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer