• 36 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 05:32:45 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Common, Wilshire. You post a gem like that and you don't even have the proper sense to flood us with more meaningless - meaningful? - associations ;).

Quote from: D&D Wiki
Lesser Deity (3.5)
Symbol:    Skull with snake weaving in eyes
Home Plane:    Negative Energy Plane
Alignment:    Lawful Evil
Portfolio:    War, Disease, Plagues, Dead Armies
Clergy Alignments:    Any Evil
Domains:    Death, Destruction, Evil, War
Favored Weapon:    Flail

More information...

Chigra is Lady Nocrat's son from before she was turned, he meant the world to her and she could not bare to lose him when he was struck down in a duel shortly after she was turned, Valkek 'saved' the boy who at this point was no soldier and had no place fighting. That night Valkek took Chigra to the home of the man who killed him, a noble who was twice the age of Chigra and had seen many wars. Before they left Lady Nocrat gave Chigra a blanket so he would stay warm (even though at this point he was as cold as a cemetery gate). Valkek entered the estate first, slaying the guards, house maids, and any not royal who slept within, Chigra entered and saw the gore, though sick to his gut the pain turned to hunger and he rushed up the stairs to the sleeping quarters of the family, to the adults he slayed them as they slept, the children he took his blanket, soaked it in the blood of their family, mixed it with his own diseased blood, and tucked them in. The man who killed him, he saved for last, he gagged him and showed the carnage to him, showed his children sleeping and unwittingly ingesting the diseased blood from the blanket that now soaked the whole bed, the man broken and weeping he stripped and tied to the roof of his own house, and left him there for the morning house maids to arrive and find. Chigra reborn was no boy, he was a monster, the children of his defeated rival died and he raised them as his own play things, the had them bring him more corpses which he either raised for fed off of, Chigra lead the family to the era when they had direct rule over the living, his undead army caught the lands off guard to say the least.

New idea: (Not at all, I'm pretty sure its been pitched many, many times) Seswatha's life is a lie!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 05:32:51 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
... I mean it wasn't relevant to the question I was answering. Figured someone would come along and be curious and I'd answer that question too :P

I'll do better next time I swear.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 05:32:56 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
Thanks Wilshire & Madness. 
The serbian pronunciation on google translate is much cooler (and closer to my internal pronunciation) than the english.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 05:33:02 pm »
Measure is...

Measure is...

Measure is...

unceasing

Yeah, baby ;). +1 for sharing is caring.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 05:33:07 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
we surely fetishize the phrase "measure is unceasing" here.

But has one ever stopped to think of the paradox/philosophy within the phrase.

To measure is to put a limit, a precise number, a name, on a thing.  By definition, measure has a point at which it is finished.  To say measure is unceasing is a bit of a contradiction, appending unceasing to the verb measure changes the meaning, imo, or at least contextualizes it within a different frame then the typical frame the verb is used within.  In fact you could say that Moenghus is taking the word judgment and replacing it with measure, and using the more culturally loaded frame of the word measure.  He is changing the ground of meaning with substitutions of significant words.  And judgment, in Earwa, does seem to be unceasing, everything is weighed, is measured, but note that measure can be conjugated into a past tense, meaning measure can cease,  but judgment cannot make this transition.  the word measure is more malleable.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 05:33:13 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
I think its more an issue with paraphrasing than with the quote itself.

Measure of the old is grounds for measure of the new. Measure is unceasing.

With that more or less full quote, its seen that it isnt 1 "measure" that is continuous, but rather the continuous laying of new measurement over the old.

Though I would could agree that it is pretty much a substituted word of judgement, but without metaphysical context.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 05:33:18 pm »
+1 for Going Deeper.

Moenghus stands before Skiotha and says "measure is unceasing." In that moment, he reminds the Chieftain that no judgement is final - that measure is antithetic to judgment.

The Chieftain position for example. It relies on constant social reinforcement by Skiotha's peers. Our social identity overshadows our personal one. Cnaiur's reign suffers from a lack - it is only his perspective on his culture from the outside, like Dunyain, his religious adherence to those rituals, and his murderous rage, his violent purpose, that maintain his position, his social identity.

Just thoughts.

But status is not something marked and honoured.

Measure is unceasing. Brave being homeless for a weekend ;).