• 20 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 01, 2013, 08:23:23 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Achamian starts Dreaming the life of Anasurimbor Nau-Cayuti, specifically his betrayal, capture, and probably death at the hands of his wife Ieva, the Consult, and their Lord, Shauriatas.

Are these new revelations of Seswatha's Heart and Dreams?

Kellhus' manipulations?

Prophet of the Past?

Manipulations by another...?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 08:23:32 pm »
Quote from: Borric
I think having this dream at this time was to highlight the Heron spear.
(Akka is near its location?)

Seswatha was the one prophesised to save the world in the Celmomas prophecy, not the descendant Anasûrimbor.
I see Akas task at this time, as the recovery of the spear.
Where did Seswatha hide it? Was the question being asked by Shaeönanra.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 08:23:42 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
I do believe you are miss-remembering the quote.

Wasn't it simply "One of my seed will return at the end of the world"?
At least that was the first part, I can't remember if Celmomas said who was to save the world, only that the world was not to end with his demise. That is why Kell is the harbinger, not the savior.

---
Edit: Further inspection of my memories, he said that the world wouldnt end with him, but that it was Seswatha's burden. This was probably what we are supposed to believe is part of the motivation behind the heart and the preservation of memories, so that Seswatha never 'died', or at least his memories are saved.
Though many people around have speculated many things about the dreams, the heart, Seswatha, and even this very prophesy. Some suggest that the prophesy if a farce created by the Consult, but whatever thats not really what this post is talking about.

Also remember that its not necessarily what the dream was about, but rather WHEN the dream occurred (from Bakker himself in a recent interview I think). Though it could be a marriage of both, so perhaps when Nau was being tortured, Seswatha was running around Ishual. To me its very difficult to disengage meaning from the dream completely and only focus on when, so I lean towards this kind of combination as it is something I can understand.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:23:52 pm »
So gents, I took your inevitable conclusion and dropped it into the Interlude: Ishual[/u] thread. Timing, location, varience... Seswatha hid the Heron Spear in Ishual.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 08:24:04 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
bingo

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 08:24:13 pm »
Edit: Further inspection of my memories, he said that the world wouldnt end with him, but that it was Seswatha's burden..

Hmm.
 I remember it as preventing the end of the world being Seswatha’s burden.
I’ll have to check

Also i am talking about the when, it’s the first time Akka has had this dream.
(right outside Ishul)
At the time of Nau-Cayûti torture not many knew of the kings hidden citadel.
Seswatha may well have seen it as a good hiding place?

So yeah, Madness has solved it  :D

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 08:24:21 pm »
This is assuming, of course, that the revelations of Nau-Cayuti's Dreams aren't proof of something else, instead of or as well as our conclusions here.

But I think it's pretty solid. It'd be pretty damn cool if Achamian gets to start off TUC with a fucking lasgun :shock: .

That's always an aspect of this that I hope Bakker really explores because he's doing something novel with this fantasy perspective of a SF/F mash-up.

Then again, five books in, I also want Bakker to do a series just straight up SF but we'll see where this goes.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »
Found it.

The high king shook his head , stilled him with tender eyes. ”they call to me.
They say that my end is not the world’s end.
That burden they say , is yours.
Yours, Seswatha.”

It’s open to interpretation i guess.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 08:24:39 pm »
This is assuming, of course, that the revelations of Nau-Cayuti's Dreams aren't proof of something else, instead of or as well as our conclusions here.

But I think it's pretty solid. It'd be pretty damn cool if Achamian gets to start off TUC with a fucking lasgun :shock: .

That's always an aspect of this that I hope Bakker really explores because he's doing something novel with this fantasy perspective of a SF/F mash-up.

Then again, five books in, I also want Bakker to do a series just straight up SF but we'll see where this goes.

First of all, stop it lol, too many theories all at once.
Second, I finished God Emperor of Dune, though this is largely unrelated to his topic aside from your allusion.
Along that line of though, maybe the carapace was a shield and when the lasgun, i mean heron spear, shot it.... well you know the rest (the carapace could have contained much of the ensuing explosion and let out all the radiation)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 08:24:47 pm »
Found it.

The high king shook his head , stilled him with tender eyes. ”they call to me.
They say that my end is not the world’s end.
That burden they say , is yours.
Yours, Seswatha.”

It’s open to interpretation i guess.
and then "one of my seed will return at the end of the world" right?

Line by line then:
"they call to me"
Who are 'they'? The gods? If so which ones. I didn't think Earwa's gods did that (though someone will probably find another instance of this this happening now that i've said that), it sounds like hes describing Valkyries and hes about to go to Valhalla.

"They say that my end is not the world's end."
There they are again. Sigh, wish we had more. Prophesies have a funny way of turning up false in Earwa, those damn Consult and their meddling (along with other forces). Regardless, pretty clear that he thinks his dieing is not the end of the world.

"That burden, they say, is yours. Yours Seswatha"
That burden is, I would guess, meant to be the burden in the line above, and that its Seswatha's not his.
So then it would read, replacing the words "Your end is the world's end".

Thoughts?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 08:24:56 pm »
Boys... check your biases.

"'Do you see the sun? Do you see it flare, Seswatha?'

'The sun sets,' Achamian replied.

'Yes! Yes. The darkness of the No-God is not all-encompasing. The Gods see us yet, dear friend. They are distant, but I can hear them galloping across the skies. I can hear them cry out to me' ... The High King shook his head, stilled him with tender eyes. ' They call to me. They say the my end is not the world's end. That burden, they say, is yours. Yours, Seswatha'" (TDTCB, p52).

Not quite sure what you two are discussing but it seems pretty clear to me that They are the Gods.

It's also interesting that this seems to explicitly reference our combined understanding of the Gods, save Ajolki, being unable to sense the No-God.

And yay! Can't wait to talk some Dune - PON with you, Wilshire :D.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 08:25:07 pm »
Quote from: anor277
It's interesting how other can draw different conclusions from the text, and I don't for a moment insist that the others are wrong, and I am right.  The interesting thing regarding Achamian's dream is that it was not about Seswatha, it was about Nau-Cayuti (possibly Seswatha's son?).  The idea that the Heron Spear, a technological artefact, could be preserved and operable over the millenia is a bit far-fetched.  We were also told (somehwere in the glossaries) that the Heron Spear was lost in near antiquity (in the sack of Cenei by the Scylvendi).  Anyway, thanks to Madness for posting the excerpt - I did read a spoiler this time.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 08:25:15 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Except the gods can't see the consult, so how can it be the gods who know it's the end of the world (particularly given it isn't - that time around, anyway)?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 08:25:24 pm »
Quote from: Triskele
Random question:

Did Achamian have any NC dreams before Cleric started dispensing the Qirri?  Mind you, I don't think that even means that the Qirri is causing them, but I wondered about the timing.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 08:25:31 pm »
Assumptively, Nau-Cayuti's the man who is beaten and chained in the long line, looking down the tunnel of trees towards the Golden Room. This Dream starts happening in the Mop and eventually (when not surrounded by old growth) the Dream resolves into a long golden tunnel leading to the Golden Room.

However, the only Dreams in WLW that are actually explicitly Nau-Cayuti are when Achamian dreams the Dream of Ieva poisoning Nau-Cayuti in his sleep and when Aurang breaks open Nau-Cayuti's sarcophagus.

Otherwise, its never said that the man in the tunnel is Nau-Cayuti but I can assume that that Dream will be explored more in TUC.

No problems, anor, just glad to facilitate a community again where that could even happen and where our participation encourages new fans :). Keep Bakker writing and us reading :ugeek: .