• 191 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2013, 05:12:46 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Mimara is adopted, but there could be some not so arbitrary metaphysical consequences of that (I think that is lockesnow's brainchild though). Anyway, "one of my seed will return at the end of the world" yeah, but Mimara holds the title of Anansurimbor, we do not know who her father is, and the guy was dying, maybe he didn't have quite enough time to explain the Harbinger will be an Anansurimbor but will not be directly from his line.

I still can't see that it matters much though. Whoever it is, they are just the Harbinger, nothing more. The end is nigh, but not irreconcilably so. They should just kill all the known Anansurimbor, no more harbinger, no more end of the world right?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2013, 05:12:54 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
Quote from: Borric
Quote from: Duskweaver
It's already been suggested that the Anasurimbor in the Celmomian Prophecy might be Mimara rather than Kellhus, right?

Didn’t the prophecy say “one of my seed will return”?
Mimara is adopted so i cant see how it’s her.

Well the bastard at the beginning of TDTCB is not of Celmomas' seed, it's of Celmomas' brother's seed, iirc.  So that disqualifies Kellhus as well.

And in a world where everything has a metaphysical component--and particularly and especially where semantic MEANING cuts the world deep--a word like adoption that has a very particular MEANING of making a child not of your loins the same as a child of your loins it stands to reason that metaphysically this will be true.

In other words, we only have physical world genetics on Earth.  On Earwa they probably have more malleable metaphysical world genetics as well.

Also, the genre of epic fantasy has a trope that is certainly OBSESSED with Earth genetics, wherein you have a secret farmboy, wherein you can ONLY be a HERO if you have secret earth genetics connecting you to the awesomesauce royal pedigree family.  It stands to reason that Bakker might be interested in tweaking and inverting and playing with this genre trope of earth-genetics obsession and undermining it.  Bakker would probably love that Mimara could become an Anasurimbor in physical/metaphysical absolutes even if some king didn't cum in her mama by happenstance.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2013, 05:13:02 pm »
Quote from: Madness

Sorweel is Celmomas' true heir?

Though, Achamian says that Kellhus looks just like Celmomas...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2013, 05:13:08 pm »
that seemed a bit out of left field. Why Sorweel? Because he is the one from the ruined household?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2013, 05:13:15 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Something in lockesnow's post reminded me that Bakker's said Sorweel is supposed to fit that trope. I +1 the whole Mimara adoption, genetics of the metaphysic idea but regular old earth heredity (Dunyain) seems in perfect order, as well...

Celmomas says one of his seed, neh... The line of Ganrelka's bastard seems the deceiver's line and doesn't fit the bill.

Embracing the random thoughts is, at times, most insightful.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2013, 05:13:22 pm »
Quote from: Gorgorotterath
I've always thought that Ganrelka is Celmomas's son. Where is it said to be his brother? I missed this one.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2013, 05:13:31 pm »
Shit, I may have made this mistake before, iirc.

My impression has always been that Ganrelka was a brother of Celmomas, and I constantly revert to that, but we don't have evidence that precludes him from being the son of Celmomas as well.

We simply know that the text considered him High King, so Celmomas was dead before the prologue of the story, iirc.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2013, 05:13:41 pm »
by the way, when are we getting the second half of this chapter?  Wasn't Larry supposed to get it?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2013, 05:13:47 pm »
second half... how about the whole book.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2013, 05:13:54 pm »
Quote from: Triskele
Yeah - Where is the rest of this chapter?  Want to see Ishual now.  Whole book of course would be good like yesterday.  I'm just hoping we get it in 2013.

I don't have books handy but I also think Ganrelka (sp) is Cel's brother and not his kid.  It would be good if someone could confirm, but I think it's stated somewhere.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2013, 05:14:00 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
The end of the Mandate, and no the Sisterhood, would more clearly mean that the world is lost.
So the end of the mandate, and Akka still being alive, makes him the only Seswatha destiny holder?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2013, 05:14:06 pm »
Quote from: Triskele
Yeah - Where is the rest of this chapter?  Want to see Ishual now.  Whole book of course would be good like yesterday.  I'm just hoping we get it in 2013.

I don't have books handy but I also think Ganrelka (sp) is Cel's brother and not his kid.  It would be good if someone could confirm, but I think it's stated somewhere.
Ganrelka is fifteen years younger than Celmomas which doesn't prove or disprove anything, unless combined with evidence that the younger Nau Cayuti was Celmomas' declared heir.

Even that doesn't really prove anything, Ganrelka could still be a secret heir held in reserve, that none knew of, not acknowledged even if he was firstborn.  Perhaps Ishual is called Exalted Grotto because its where the kuniuric high kings went to pop their cherries?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2013, 05:14:15 pm »
Quote from: Borric
Brother or son makes no difference in my book.

They share the same genetics and have a common Anasûrimbor “Seed”  to pass along.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2013, 05:14:23 pm »
"one of my seed" I don't think is a pointer to his actual semen. It is likely just someone in the Anasurimbor family. Brother, son, bastard son. Distant cousin twice removed on his mothers side... as long as the Anasurimbor blood is there is recognizable quantities it shouldnt matter too much.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2013, 05:14:29 pm »
You can't just discount the possessive "MY" because it is convenient.

One of my seed doesn't refer to Kellhus at all.  this presumes NC is in fact Cel's kid and not Ses' kid.

Instead, NC and Ses found NC's cherished concubine, rescued her and took her out of the Ark.  NC promptly impregnated her, and Ses hid the child.  The child survived the apocalypse, but his/her offspring eventually fell on hard times, offspring became peasantry and a long route down the road, Esmenet was born, last scion of Anasurimbor Celmomas--at least until she gave birth to Mimara.