Lol +1, lockesnow.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2013, 04:34:07 pm »
Quote from: Auriga
I wonder what relationship the Inchoroi had to the dragons? Wutteät (and, by extension, his genetic clones) isn't a product of the Tekne, but an alien creature in his own right. Where did they pick him up, and how come?

The dragons are also thematically interesting, since they have a cold mechanical quality (iron bones, quicksilver eyes, a reptilian laziness) that is totally at odds with the Inchoroi, who are associated with flesh and sexuality. The rape-obsessed hedonists and the cold-blooded lizards who prefer to just hoard treasures. The organic and the bio-mechanical. Weird that such polar opposites would be drawn to each other.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2013, 04:34:16 pm »
Quote from: bbaztek
Perhaps dragons were a spacefaring race that hitched along for the ride.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2013, 04:34:22 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
It did mention that they picked up Wutteat in space. A derelict survivor of some other plant-wide catastrophe? Or did he exterminate his whole race to prove he was the mightyest, then float around the void bored and looking for more shit to blow up?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2013, 04:34:30 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Bakker used the metre stick as an analogy in an interview - there's a metre stick in France that all other metre sticks take their form from. This ensures, among other things, uniformity of measurement.

Wutteat is the metre stick.

Perhaps, the Inchoroi conquered Wracu planet and took Wutteat as an optimum sample - convinced him he's damned? Or he could be a machine of another world, or the Inchoroi themselves?

I find it interesting that the Inchoroi don't have a bunch of weapons races... or have their lazguns lasted all way til now?

When did they start using the Tekne again to construct new biotech? On Earwa? Or are there countless planets with nothing but weapon race societies on them?

Thoughts ;). I'm inspired by the speculations today.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2013, 04:34:36 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
Wutteat doesn't seem concerned with damnation.  I think he just wants to die, but the Inchies have mad it so he can't until they have achieved their objective.
Possibly they already destroyed the Wracu afterlife, but it didn't free the Inchies.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2013, 04:34:45 pm »
Bakker used the metre stick as an analogy in an interview - there's a metre stick in France that all other metre sticks take their form from. This ensures, among other things, uniformity of measurement.

Perhaps, the Inchoroi conquered Wracu planet and took Wutteat as an optimum sample - convinced him he's damned? Or he could be a machine of another world, or the Inchoroi themselves?

I find it interesting that the Inchoroi don't have a bunch of weapons races... or have their lazguns lasted all way til now?

When did they start using the Tekne again to construct new biotech? On Earwa? Or are there countless planets with nothing but weapon race societies on them?

Thoughts ;). I'm inspired by the speculations today.

Sorry going to have to disagree with you on the meter stick in France. They got the weight  measurements in France I believe, but the meter is defined differently.

Since 1983 a meter is the length of the path traveled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second.
A very, very precise measurement.
http://www.bipm.org/en/CGPM/db/17/1/     (if you want to check the source)

" Or are there countless planets with nothing but weapon race societies on them?"
Probably. I get from the Inchoroi musings (TTT glossary maybe, cant remember exactly) that they are rather adapt at making weapon races. They crafted the sranc to kill and eat only Nonmen so as to preserve the world for themselves. That sounds to me like they have done it before. Probably once they found that each world isn't the promised land, they just leave their old shit behind. Each race is constructed for a purpose on each planet, and they may not function properly on a different world.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2013, 04:34:55 pm »
Quote from: Duskweaver
That would explain why he is... unceasing.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2013, 04:35:01 pm »

An alien species from another planet, would be my guess. A bio-mechanical species that doesn't obey the same physical laws as us organic creatures. (The undead Wutteät, who can never truly die, is described in a similar way to a rusting machine.) The text's descriptions of dragons are pretty "metallic" - they have bones of iron, claws of bronze, golden flames, and quicksilver eyes - unlike the Inchoroi, who are a race of flesh and always described in organic terms. Maybe they even reproduce asexually, since their disinterest in sex is the total opposite of the Inchoroi obsession with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dragons are largely metallic, and that the dragons' love of hoarding treasures is because they share a lot of metallic properties.

I'm sure they have created weapon races before (perhaps they "bombed" other planets with them, like bioweapons), just that they didn't think it was necessary on Eärwa. They went in with guns blazing, got smacked by the Nonmen, and only started breeding the armies of Sranc after that first defeat. 

One wonders why a species so obsessed with damnation, and how to avoid it at all costs, would carelessly risk their own lives in battle. I guess the best explanation is that Sil and his warriors were absolutely 100% convinced that Eärwa was the "chosen world" where they wouldn't be damned, and that they simply couldn't imagine that the primitive spear-chucking natives of Eärwa had any real chance of harming them.

(Until those primitive natives started firing thunderbolts from their hands and geometries of light from their asses, that is.)

When did they start using the Tekne again to construct new biotech? On Earwa?

According to the TTT appendix, after they got beaten by the Nonmen in the first battle.

I think Bakker mentioned somewhere that the Tekne wasn't working perfectly as it should, since most of the Inchoroi scientists were killed in the crash landing. They were mostly throwing shit at the wall and seeing what stuck.

(Of course, this begs the question - why didn't they clone more of themselves, since they evidently were cloning Wutteät?)

Or are there countless planets with nothing but weapon race societies on them?

Possible.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2013, 04:35:10 pm »
The Inchies needed sranc to combat sorcery.  I doubt they had so much problems previously with flight and deaths rays readily available.

Scott said that the Inchies were moribund well before they came to Earwa.  Presumably they also lost interest in furthering or properly understanding their technology a long time ago.  Raping, killing and their quest is all that matters.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2013, 04:35:20 pm »
The Inchies needed sranc to combat sorcery.  I doubt they had so much problems previously with flight and deaths rays readily available.

They were beaten at Pir-Pahal, where they did use their normal weapons (but not bioweapon races, which were created later). I don't think the Nonmen would stand a chance against a space-faring species if they didn't have Quya sorcerers. 

Neither are Sranc especially useful against sorcery, apart from being meat-shields. IIRC, Bakker once said that the Inchoroi tried arming the Sranc with chorae, but they were too dumb to use them. 

Scott said that the Inchies were moribund well before they came to Earwa.  Presumably they also lost interest in furthering or properly understanding their technology a long time ago.  Raping, killing and their quest is all that matters

True, true. But they evidently did have the technology of cloning Wutteät, even if they'd lost interest in furthering the Tekne, so it does seem weird that they didn't simply clone more of themselves. 

(I wonder what other lost technology they have? Their bio-tech must have been incredibly advanced in the past, since they were even able to make the Nonmen physically immortal.)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2013, 04:35:27 pm »
Sorry going to have to disagree with you on the meter stick in France. They got the weight measurements in France I believe, but the meter is defined differently.

No apologies. Please, correct me. I don't like maintaining irrelevant information :). You have knowledge I want.

The analogy really still stands - Wutteat is the precisely measured vacuum to all other metre sticks. Was it how I described in the past, Wilshire?

An alien species from another planet, would be my guess. A bio-mechanical species that doesn't obey the same physical laws as us organic creatures. (The undead Wutteät, who can never truly die, is described in a similar way to a rusting machine.) The text's descriptions of dragons are pretty "metallic" - they have bones of iron, claws of bronze, golden flames, and quicksilver eyes - unlike the Inchoroi, who are a race of flesh and always described in organic terms. Maybe they even reproduce asexually, since their disinterest in sex is the total opposite of the Inchoroi obsession with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dragons are largely metallic, and that the dragons' love of hoarding treasures is because they share a lot of metallic properties.

+1. Why then don't have the Inchoroi have a "Hall of Dead Aliens" (to use a working term from one of my fictions)? Wouldn't they keep optimum samples of all "worthy" species?

Wow... short story: Inchoroi with Lasguns vs. Wracu planet... what!?

One wonders why a species so obsessed with damnation, and how to avoid it at all costs, would carelessly risk their own lives in battle. I guess the best explanation is that Sil and his warriors were absolutely 100% convinced that Eärwa was the "chosen world" where they wouldn't be damned, and that they simply couldn't imagine that the primitive spear-chucking natives of Eärwa had any real chance of harming them.

I think Bakker mentioned somewhere that the Tekne wasn't working perfectly as it should, since most of the Inchoroi scientists were killed in the crash landing. They were mostly throwing shit at the wall and seeing what stuck.

It's interesting that Wracu are the plotline to unravel the Inchoroi society but this thread of thoughts is yielding dividends.

We cannot take anything from Operation Earwa as their standard M.O. ... so what's standard op? Assuming they're at full operating capabilities before landing on Earwa? Why did they crash at all - does this give credence to some of the speculation we have about the Inchoroi running from something worse...?

Scott said that the Inchies were moribund well before they came to Earwa. Presumably they also lost interest in furthering or properly understanding their technology a long time ago. Raping, killing and their quest is all that matters.

Does that have to mean that the Ark isn't self-sufficient?

Big +1 for Quya Being the Factor.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2013, 04:35:37 pm »
+1. Why then don't have the Inchoroi have a "Hall of Dead Aliens" (to use a working term from one of my fictions)? Wouldn't they keep optimum samples of all "worthy" species?

Well, what we've seen of Golgotterath is only the tiniest fraction, so there's nothing that says the Inchoroi don't have a trophy hall of species that they've destroyed. The Ark is larger than the largest city. It's possible that they do have a "hall of aliens", actually, because we know that the Inchoroi take trophies from their victims.

(The short story on Bakker's blog has a flashback of Inchoroi wearing the severed faces of Nonmen, among other stuff. This habit seems to have passed to the Sranc, who have weapons and jewelry made of human bone.)

Wow... short story: Inchoroi with Lasguns vs. Wracu planet... what!?

A spin-off about the Inchoroi raping and killing their way through the galaxy? Why not?

Scött could make a board game or a spin-off cartoon or maybe a Grand Theft Inchoroi rape-simulator videogame out of it. It'd be an instant hit.

We cannot take anything from Operation Earwa as their standard M.O. ... so what's standard op? Assuming they're at full operating capabilities before landing on Earwa?

If I was the Inchoroi, my standard op would be orbital bombing of the target planets, "seeding" them with bioweapon monsters. I imagine that the Inchoroi have done this in the past, when they had full capability.

(Basically, I'd do what the Inchoroi didn't. Especially their fuck-up in the Apocalypse. Whose idea was it to unleash the No-God and risk it all, instead of letting humanity slowly go extinct? Or maybe the No-God's makers don't have any power over him at all?)

Big +1 for Quya Being the Factor.

Definitely. Without the Quyan sorcerers, the Nonmen would be doomed, and the alien invaders would turn Eärwa into a depopulated wasteland. None of the PON characters would ever be born, except for Cleric, who'd be gargling black semen in the cells of Golgotterath.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2013, 04:36:01 pm »
Well, what we've seen of Golgotterath is only the tiniest fraction, so there's nothing that says the Inchoroi don't have a trophy hall of species that they've destroyed. The Ark is larger than the largest city. It's possible that they do have a "hall of aliens", actually, because we know that the Inchoroi take trophies from their victims.

(The short story on Bakker's blog has a flashback of Inchoroi wearing the severed faces of Nonmen, among other stuff. This habit seems to have passed to the Sranc, who have weapons and jewelry made of human bone.)

+1. I just feel like they would've duplicated and used them, like the Wracu, if Wutteat is indeed the last of his kind.

Scött could make a board game or a spin-off cartoon or maybe a Grand Theft Inchoroi rape-simulator videogame out of it. It'd be an instant hit.

Twilight Imperium, friend.

And, of course, +1 the rest.

I suspect the No-God is its own entity with autonomy. It simply suffers from something all great powers do... reliance on lesser beings.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2013, 04:36:10 pm »
+1. I just feel like they would've duplicated and used them, like the Wracu, if Wutteat is indeed the last of his kind.

Yeah, I also wondered about this. Still, it's even weirder that the Inchoroi didn't replicate themselves but went extinct.

Twilight Imperium, friend.

Or those Warhammer games (not the ones with green boar-looking things, but the ones with space-age marines and flesh-eating aliens). I had a cousin who was really into them, although I never saw the point.

I suspect the No-God is its own entity with autonomy. It simply suffers from something all great powers do... reliance on lesser beings.

True, true. It's mentioned that the Consult are its "slaves", and that they worship it. So, yeah, the No-God is beyond anyone's control, after it's been unleashed.

(I also find it interesting how the No-God is the exact opposite of a god in so many ways - it's not even omniscient like gods are supposed to be, but asks "WHAT DO YOU SEE?" of all people it meets. My guess is that the No-God is made of dead souls, since it communicates with living people in the same way as the Nonman ghost in Cil-Aujas.)