• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:07:44 pm »
Lovers? Haters?

I thought this qualified as good, new sci-fi that I remembered in reading the Asimov thread.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 07:34:36 pm »
I have read the first two and about half of the third. Lost a bit of interest during the third one, but I really enjoyed the first. Miller was a treat as the burnt out detective. That is what I liked most about it really, the detective story in space:)

The worldbuilding was kind of cool too, with earth, mars and the belters. A "close to home" kind of space opera:). The racism portrayed between various people caused by the difference in gravity on each planet was also kind of funny:)

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 12:03:31 pm »
Did you know that Corey has written a Star Wars novel? It is part of a trilogy which covers the space between movies 4 and 5(the old ones).

I have never ever read any Star Wars literature, but I do have a nostalgic relationship with those old movies, so maybe this is worth checking out.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 12:17:09 pm »
Did you know that Corey has written a Star Wars novel? It is part of a trilogy which covers the space between movies 4 and 5(the old ones).

I have never ever read any Star Wars literature, but I do have a nostalgic relationship with those old movies, so maybe this is worth checking out.

I enjoyed the Timothy Zahn trilogy of Star Wars stories set about 5 years after the Return of the Jedi.  "Heir to the Empire" I think.   Leia pregnant and in Jedi training, Luke dealing with dark side recovery, Han trying to be a good guy vs Thrawn, military genius marshaling the remnants of the Empire using a deranged dark Jedi master.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 02:26:19 pm »
The Han Solo Trilogy by Crispin was some of my favorite EU.

And yes, Royce, I knew the Corey team was writing it - I just can't afford to buy it right now (in money or time).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 08:33:20 pm »
I enjoyed the Timothy Zahn trilogy of Star Wars stories set about 5 years after the Return of the Jedi.  "Heir to the Empire" I think.   Leia pregnant and in Jedi training, Luke dealing with dark side recovery, Han trying to be a good guy vs Thrawn, military genius marshaling the remnants of the Empire using a deranged dark Jedi master.

The thrawn trilogy?  I have heard that it is a good series ;)

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 12:33:27 am »

The thrawn trilogy?  I have heard that it is a good series ;)

That's it--quite liked it, but read it like 10 years ago!  Important part of the series--idea that the Emperor was using his vast force powers to literally coordinate the minds of the empire.  When he died, chaos ensued.  When Thrawn finds a new dark jedi master, he can resume controlling the fleet.  But Thrawn and the master are often at odds, esp since Thrawn has found a creature that emits a force bubble--when near the animals, Thrawn is beyond any force magic.  Like chorae!  Now it makes me think of Mog controlling the sranc.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 10:03:05 pm »
I have these on a rec from a board in my library and ready to go :)

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 11:22:19 am »
As I mentioned up thread I enjoyed the first one, the second not so much, and jumped ship(pun intended) on the third.

A bit to blockbusterish for my taste.