• 9 Replies

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« on: March 28, 2014, 12:24:28 am »
Peter Tse on the Neural Basis for Free Will

http://philosophycommons.typepad.com/flickers_of_freedom/2013/12/peter-tses-the-neural-basis-of-free-will-an-overview.html

A while back I posted an exchange between Peter Tse and Neil Levy that focused on parts of Peter's new book, The Neural Basis of Free Will: Criterial Causation. In the wake of that discussion, I asked Peter if he would be interested in writing up an accessible overview of the argument he develops in the book. Fortunately, he was happy to oblige! The following is what he sent me to post here on Flickers. Given the intersection between work in neuroscience and work on the philosophy of action, I think we all need to work a little harder to understand what's happening on the other half of this discplinary divide. In that spirit, I have posted Peter's overview below the fold.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:25:43 pm by sciborg2 »

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 02:07:59 am »
Interesting Tse vids:

Free Will: Where's the Problem:

http://www.closertotruth.com/video-profile/Free-Will-Where-s-the-Problem-Peter-Tse-/2574

Good to see Tse showed how Libet's readiness potential has nothing to do with presence or lack of free will.

How Free Will Probes Mind and Consciousness:

http://www.closertotruth.com/video-profile/How-Free-Will-Probes-Mind-and-Consciousness-Peter-Tse-/2575

An evolutionary explanation as to why free will came to be, as relating to attention. He's saying subjective experience is the domain in which volitional attention operates.

It's interesting how he relates will to attention, which I think makes sense as it is a precursor to action. Makes me think of the Hindu philosphy on the mind being related to two birds - the bird that eats and the bird that watches the first bird eating.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 06:59:44 pm »
A link about Tse, his research, and his concept of "Criterial Causation.":

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/illusion-chasers/2013/08/12/tse-free-will/

I'm guessing those who've researched this topic have come across Strawson's argument, that who you are has to determine what choice you make and that you who are is decided by external factors.

The usual argument to this line of thinking is to introduce indeterminism into mix, which many philosophers said doesn't give you free will because random decisions are no more free than causally determined ones. AFAIK Searle was the first to point out that assuming indeterminism at a lower level must result in indeterminism at higher levels is a fallacy of composition, and that personal character can be necessary but insufficient in regards to determining choice.

However the neuroscientist Tse actually gives a more direct counterargument that invokes both philosophy and neuroscience:

A strong conception of free will is not compatible with either predetermined or random choices because in neither case do we decide which alternative to actualize from among many that might have been selected.

Criterial causation gets around the causa sui argument against both mental causation and free will by having neurons alter the physical grounds, not of present mental events, but of future mental events.

Self-causation only applies to changing the physical basis of making a present decision that is realized in or supervenes on that very same physical basis. Self-causation does not apply to changing the physical basis of making a future decision. While there can obviously never be a self-caused event, criteria can be set up in advance, such that when they are met, an action automatically follows; this is an action that we will have willed to take place by virtue of having set up those particular criteria in advance. At the moment those criteria are satisfied at some unknown point in the future, leading to some action or choice, those criteria cannot be changed, but because criteria can be changed in advance, we are free to determine how we will behave within certain limits in the near future. Criterial causation therefore offers a path toward free will where a brain can determine how it will behave given particular types of future input. This can be milliseconds in the future or, in some cases, even years away.

Assuming indeterminism, criterial outcome is an outcome that meets certain preset criteria, but what that outcome will be is not foreseeable, and had we run the sequence of events over from the same initial conditions, with the same criteria, we may have ended up with a different outcome, because of noise in the system.

Criterial causality therefore leaves room for non-illusory choice that is a middle path between the extremes of (a) determinism, where there is no ability to choose freely in the strong sense because there is never the possibility of an alternative action, and (b) criteria-less indeterminism, where arbitrary choices follow from randomness rather than from criteria one sets up oneself.

Free will skeptics might counter that the setting up of any set of criteria to be met by future inputs is itself determined by preexisting sets of criteria that have been met. This is in fact correct. The key point is that criteria will be met in unpredictable ways if there is inherent variability or noise in inputs, such as can be introduced by the randomness inherent in neurotransmitter molecules crossing the synapse. Just because new criteria are set up by a nervous system in a manner dictated by the satisfaction of preexisting criteria does not mean that either the future or present criteria will be met in a predetermined manner. Moreover, because our neurons set criteria for the firing of other neurons in response to their future input, the choices realized in the satisfying of those criteria are our own choices. Ontological indeterminism and neuronal criterial causation permits a physical causal basis for a strong free will.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:03:45 pm by sciborg2 »

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:31:00 pm »

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 10:25:20 pm »
Similar model to Tse's proposed by Robert Doyle:

The Two Stage Solution to the Problem of Free Will: How Behavioral Freedom in Lower Animals Has Evolved to Become Free Will in Humans and Higher Animals

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~uctytho/DoyleOnDoyle1.pdf

Abstract: Random noise in the neurobiology of animals allows for the generation of alternative possibilities for action. In lower animals, this shows up as behavioral freedom. Animals are not causally predetermined by prior events going back in a causal chain to the origin of the universe. In higher animals, randomness can be consciously invoked to generate surprising new behaviors. In humans, creative new ideas can be critically evaluated and deliberated. On reflection, options can be rejected and sent back for “second thoughts” before a final responsible decision and action.

We present new cosmological and microphysical reasons for doubting the deterministic picture of the world that was popular before quantum mechanics, one which still dominates philosophical discussions of free will. David Hume’s compatibilism reconciled free actions with that classical determinism. We attempt to reconcile free will with quantum indeterminism. When the indeterminism is limited to the early stage of a mental decision, the decision itself can be described as adequately determined. This is called a two-‐stage model, first “free” generation of ideas, then an adequately determined “will.”
We propose our Cogito model as the most plausible current explanation for human free will. We compare this model to past suggestions and situate it in the taxonomy of current free will positions.

A credible free will model may restore some balance to a disturbing social trend that considers moral responsibility impossible on the basis of philosophical reasoning, psychological studies, and advances in neuroscience.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 07:03:52 am »
The biologist Kauffman, with some help from physicists, proposes a "poised realm" between the possible and actual in which he thinks the explanation for consciousness might lie.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/01/30/133319070/standing-the-brain-on-its-head
The Synaptic Correlates of Consciousness

R. Penrose and H. Stapp, mathematician and quantum physicist before me, and I, now suggest that QUANTUM MEASUREMENT is the BRAIN LOCUS OF CONSCIOUSNESS. I suggest specifically that we might look for measurement events in post synaptic neurotransmitter receptor proteins or protein complexes.(Penrose and Stapp have been entirely ignored because quantum events in the brain have been considered completely unreasonable. The quantum coherent behavior of chlorophyll and its antenna protein now suggests that we reconsider quantum events in the brain.)

A first clue is that anesthetics bind to hydrophobic pockets in these receptor proteins. Were anesthetics to "freeze" receptors into classical behavior, no further measurement events could occur, no qualia would arise, and we would be anesthetized.

I further suggest that we consider QUANTUM ENTANGLEMENT BETWEEN SYNAPSES IN ANATOMICALLY CONNECTED AND NON-CONNECTED NEURONS AS A POSSIBLE BASIS TO SOLVE THE BINDING PROBLEM...

...But the emergence of these non-local correlations, hence the "unity of consciousness", requires that each particle or degree of freedom be MEASURED. But this precisely fits the hypothesis above that experience, qualia, are associated with MEASUREMENT EVENTS, perhaps in synapses....

These ideas are a new way of looking at the brain. The entire brain may be an enormous, highly evolved Trans-Turing System. And single celled organisms may be conscious.

Can We Have A Responsible Free Will?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/01/31/133319117/can-we-have-a-responsible-free-will

I have now published a substantial series of posts, starting with "Closed Quantum Systems" to yesterday's "Standing The Brain On Its Head." My hope has been to lay out a possible conceptual and scientific framework that may allow us to see our humanity as "Re-Enchanted". I end this series with the present post, which hopes to find plausible and testable grounds for an ontologically real, responsible free will.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 12:14:41 am »
Eve Isham, Saving Free Will from Science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtgtA1KE5KA

Isham is a Post-Doc at UC Davis:

http://mindbrain.ucdavis.edu/people/eaisham

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 07:36:17 pm »
Is Free Will an Illusion? : Previous neuroscience research has suggested yes, but a new study finds an unexpected window for it in the static of your brain.

Building off the landmark experiments of Benjamin Libet, researchers at the University of California-Davis measured the brain activity of a handful of undergraduates as each made choices to look left or right when prompted by images on a screen. A bunch of controls ensured the only thing directing their gaze was their own arbitrary choice.
The researchers wanted to determine if what they call “ongoing spontaneous variability” in neural signaling—basically, the brain’s background noise—influenced the students’ decisions. This excess signaling has been dismissed as inconsequential, but recently scientists have begun to speculate that it could actually be hugely important. “Neural noise is simply that the brain is always firing even in the absence of input or responses, and this random firing may even be the carrier upon which our consciousness rides, in the same way that radio-static is used to carry a radio station,” says Jesse Bengson, the study’s lead author, in an email.

The study’s result: Fluctuations in brain static actually predicted the direction in which students chose to look. This sounds just as fatalistic as thoughts existing before we think them, but really it’s just the opposite. These constant fluctuations exist apart from the normal causal chain of thoughts, so they seem to allow spontaneous bits to disrupt our otherwise-inevitable cognitive marches toward particular actions and open up other possibilities.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 12:35:49 pm »
Well there you go!
I guess this is the "problem" with this topic. The sciences are just at the very beginning of this and the problem will not be solved soon (i guess). And it is not as if this is a new phenomenon in science...some say "it's like this..." and then the next studies proclaim "No, it's like that..." . Most often the exact opposite of each other etc. pp. .

What do i want to say? Not much, actually  ;D It's just that this is how it often goes in sciences....especially in new/young ones. But that also makes it so interesting to follow it and "be at the pulse of it", so to speak.
I really hope that science will show that we are more on this last post's side of the fence. But maybe that's just me ;)
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire