Obligatory music thread. (or What Are You Listening To Right Now)

• 462 Replies

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 15, 2017, 08:14:49 pm »
Group Four, Massive Attack (wayback Wednesday, apparently).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HnF5T4Neuc
No whistling on the slog!

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 16, 2017, 08:49:12 pm »
I am working my way through a series of podcasts from a radio show on XRAY-FM, a public radio station in Portland, Oregon. Called "The PM Show", it features progressive rock, jazz fusion and related styles. I discovered an East Coast band named Frogg Cafe, which began as a Frank Zappa tribute band. First-rate.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 10, 2017, 03:12:00 pm »
Still working my way through "The PM Show" podcasts. The most recent ones featured Jethro Tull's "Thick As A Brick" in its entirety. Classic 70's prog.

As for new bands, I'm also digging Thirteen Of Everything and their album "Welcome, Humans". I kid you not,  that's the title.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2017, 11:05:54 am »
H. recommended two acoustic indie/folk artists yesterday. The late Jason Molina and Joanna Newsom. Check them out.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2017, 01:23:47 pm »
H. recommended two acoustic indie/folk artists yesterday. The late Jason Molina and Joanna Newsom. Check them out.

Indeed, two stellar artists.

Not sure if you know of Iron & Wine, but he is also fantastic (at least the older stuff is, kind of lost track now).
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2017, 03:12:20 pm »

Indeed, two stellar artists.

Not sure if you know of Iron & Wine, but he is also fantastic (at least the older stuff is, kind of lost track now).
Don't know about Iron & Wine, but I sure dig Sippin' Wine!
<ba dum tish>

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2017, 08:26:29 pm »
On a sombre note, Allan Holdsworth passed away last weekend at age 70. He was certainly one of the finest electric guitar soloists of his time. He was a master of modern harmonic theory, and his extended, fluid and discursive solos often remind me of those excellent tracking shots that only skilled film directors can accomplish. And his pellucid, warbly "singing" tone.....no words. As a youngster, Allan wanted to learn to play a wind instrument, because he was captivated by the expressive quality of saxophones and flutes.

Here's a link to a live performance from 1986. Allan was at the peak of his powers, the band is great, and the recording is good. RIP, Allan.

https://youtu.be/2TzfgjHDSRU

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:28:39 pm by Beardfisher King »

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 24, 2017, 10:49:04 am »
My general tastes? Classical/baroque periods, Stravinsky, Chopin. Almost no modern classical. Prog rock, jazz fusion, singer-songwriters (Dan Fogelberg, Joni Mitchell), folk, bluegrass, Miles Davis, Keith Jarrett. Animals As Leaders, the current incarnation of King Crimson, Rush (especially late-period, such as Clockwork Angels,  Counterparts), mid-70s Yes, mid-70s Genesis.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:03:25 am by Beardfisher King »

Fenris777

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 02, 2017, 05:12:36 pm »
Bohren & der Club of Gore - Black Earth.

Hard to classify. Gothic-Jazz-Ambient maybe? IDK... it's awesome though.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 02, 2017, 05:46:10 pm »
Bohren & der Club of Gore - Black Earth.

Hard to classify. Gothic-Jazz-Ambient maybe? IDK... it's awesome though.

That's some pretty good stuff right there.  Not exactly what you'd (I'd) expect from the band name.

Kind of like The Dismemberment Plan.

Currently really digging: Lydia Ainsworth - The Road but unfortuately the full album fails to capitalize on the promise of it's two best songs.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Fenris777

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 02, 2017, 05:58:42 pm »
Yeah, the name is a little misleading. :)

I listen to pretty much everything really, Lately I've listening to a lot of folk and dark ambient. Kammarheit, Autechre, that kind of shizz. Plus a little Lera Lynn after binge watching True Detective season 2.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 04, 2017, 01:00:47 pm »
Listening update: Still diligently searching through the archives of "The PM Show" on XRAY-FM (Portland, Oregon). Pretty sold on Frogg Café, the transmuted Frank Zappa tribute band.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 05, 2017, 12:39:07 pm »
At this very moment, I am listening to one of my favorite podcasts from "The PM Show" (#159), and specifically, a track entitled "Luminescence", by Monarch Trail (2014). Recommended. A highly accomplished updating of the classic prog style.

Moving on to a track by Nad Sylvan, "To The Green Faerie" (2013). A very charming track, channeling the classic mid-70s Genesis sound. Nad's voice is a dead ringer for the early Phil Collins style (when he featured his softer, lighter voice....in other words, pre-"In The Air Tonight")

And now the podcast moves to a stately instrumental track by  Camel entitled "Ice" (1979). Excellent synthesizer solo from Kit Watkins, and similarly excellent acoustic and electric guitar work from Andy Latimer, an English guitarist who, fortunately, is still among the living.

Also featured on this podcast:

1. A short track from Animals As Leaders, a first-rate contemporary heavy fusion group (2011).
2. "Neurotica", a mid-period Rush track (1991) from "Roll The Bones".
3. "Kayla", by Flying Colors (2012)
4. "On An Island" (2006) by Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour. Langourous and dreamy. Just a beautiful song.
.....and more.

The only dud, for me, is a long (18 minute) track from 1973 by a group named Eloy. The playing is amateurish and there's too much emphasis on the "new" possibilities provided by electronic sound modifying devices such as phasers, reverbs, etc. Horrible organ solo. Of historical interest only.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:08:53 pm by Beardfisher King »

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 05, 2017, 07:02:19 pm »
And now,  another of my favorite podcasts (#77) from "The PM Show", found on XRAY-FM (Portland, Oregon). It features two outstanding extended tracks, both recorded in 2005. The first is "As Far As The Mind Can See" by Spock's Beard, a noted West Coast prog band that has been around for over 20 years now. The second is "Late For Dinner" by Thirteen Of Everything, an even more obscure prog band. An interesting lyrical concept involving alien invasion. Perfect for TSA fans!

Also heard, a nice track called "Gattax" from the late Allan Holdsworth, the excellent English electric guitar soloist recently eulogized here by yours truly.

All in all, fine listening.

Fenris777

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 12, 2017, 01:32:19 pm »
I'm currently enjoying a trip backwards though the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds discography. Skeleton Tree really is a great album.  Tip of the cap to the show Peaky Blinders for getting me started with their wonderful and anachronistic soundtrack.