TSACast (SA Podcast)

• 320 Replies

Garet Jax

« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2014, 03:55:06 am »
Great cast.  These should be a semi-monthly occurrence.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2014, 12:46:10 pm »
TSACasts
Episode #3 - Relative Power Levels featuring Madness, Wilshire, Garet Jax, and SilentRoamer.

I realize these links don't always work for everyone and I apologize. Still trying to get podcast hosting sorted out (and it will be by next episode as we can't upload anymore doing it the haphazard way I am now) and once that settles, getting the iTunes page functioning properly will be my next focus.

Cheers - really fun episode, as always :).

EDIT (Fer commentary):

- Lmao... "When Madness laughs" (GJ, you are two for two on the wrong ways to tease things from my mind ;)).
- The knife and the armour Mimara finds in WLW are sorcerous, I was wrongly corrected in the episode :P:

Quote from: WLW, p901
They find a shirt of ensorcelled mail, golden, as light as silk and as hard as nimil. Sheara, the Wizard calls it, "Sun-skin," a far antique gift from the School of Mihtrul.

- Lol, my relative time-keeping is flerwed (I mention we're nearing an hour and fifteen at about 51min).

- Lmao... last words "Someone end the recording at least?" *click*

EDIT (Fer Links):

The Cleric Suicides...
The False Sun: Short Story - Spoilers for TUC (as per blog notation)
Bakker Interview: Part 2 - Graft notation; major spoiler concerning the Tusk
The Four Revelations of Cinial'jin: Short Story - Commentary on Nonmen heroes growing
Sorcery Thread: Page 10, Two Lists Ranking Sorcerous Powers
Aporos - finding quotes from ZTS:

Hello Shryke. Welcome to the board!

Save for some contact in Jek at the headwaters of the River Sayut, the Xuihianni, the Tribe left behind at the Breaking of the Gates, are entirely confined to Eanna.

Uroborian circle is fleshed out some in TTT, at least how the draft stands now. Sorcery all comes down to semantics, meanings, and practitioners of the Aporos specialize in aporetic, or paradoxical meanings.

The Aporos is something I want to flesh out further in future books. The basic idea is this: the Quya first developed the Aporos in the prosecution of their own intercine wars, but it was quickly forbidden. The arrival of the Inchoroi allowed several renegade Quya to pursue their sorcerous interrogations, leading to the production of tens of thousands of Chorae, which were used throughout the Cuno-Inchoroi wars.

The Aporos possesses a contradictory, or negative, semantics, and as such is able only to undo the positive semantics of things like the Gnosis, Psukhe, Anagogis - even the Daimos. Aporetic Cants have no other effect. Salting is actually a kind of side effect. I would rather wait until TTT comes out before discussing the metaphysics - it has to do with the Mark.

Good questions, all. Personally, I've always worried that the Chorae may come across as too ad hoc, as mere narrative conveniences that allow a happy (but not very credible) balance between the sorcerous and the non-sorcerous. But in point of fact, that role came after - the Chorae developed independently. From the outset, I've looked at each of the sorcerous branches in linguistic terms, as practices where language commands, rather than conforms to, reality. So the Anagogis turns on the semantic power of figurative analogies, the Gnosis turns on the semantic power of formal generalizations, the Psukhe turns on speaker intention, and so on. And much as language undoes itself in paradoxes, sorcery can likewise undo itself. The Aporos is this 'sorcery of paradox,' where the meanings that make sorcery possible are turned in on themselves to generate what might be called 'contradiction fields.'

Since the metaphysics of sorcery actually plays a significant role in TTT, it would probably be better to postpone a more in depth discussion until then.

Quote from: Cu'jara Cinmoi, Aug 2004
The Chorae are actually sorcerous artifacts (of something called the 'Aporos'), manufactured prior to the Cuno-Inchoroi Wars (by Quya defectors) as a way for the Inchoroi to counter the sorcery of the Nonmen. The script inscribed across each embodies a contradiction that unravels the semantics of all known Cants - even those of the Aporos!

Kelmomas' Voice
Bakker's Map
- Bakker's Comment concerning "Pixel Art"

Bakker's Comment on Inrau being Damned:

This question really morphed!

Yes, Inrau IS damned. And this is the basis of his conversion. There's always hope that the scriptures just overlooked some kind of loophole, or that by praying real hard...

Part of the problem is that we see Inrau primarily through Achamian, and if you think about it, Achamian tends not to go into the details of his damnation - or that of any of those he loves. For instance, why doesn't he ever wonder about Inrau's soul? This omission becomes more and more explicit the more implicated Achamian becomes in Kellhus's world. Think of TTT. I wanted this to be the one thing he cannot grasp without the protection of vague intellectual abstraction.

EDIT (Fer Finish):

I'm always amazed at my brain's ability to keep track of all this stuff.

If I missed any links/follow-up information from the episode, let me know.

Again, cheers, it was great, looking forward to the future.

And a reminder - EVERYONE AND ANYONE IS WELCOME TO JOIN IN ON TSACAST!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:28:08 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2014, 01:18:45 am »
Hadn't noticed the circles before. So the thinking is that those are Inchoroi landing sites? That doesn't seem to agree with what Wutteat said in TWLW.

Garet Jax

« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2014, 01:19:55 am »
I actually only think that the latest one was the Inchoroi.  I think I said that the first two were possibly how Earwa was seeded with humans.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:27:31 am by Garet Jax »

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2014, 01:22:11 am »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "seeding with humans." You think that the humans also landed from space?

Garet Jax

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2014, 01:29:24 am »
Typo. 

I am not sure what I think on that one.  I just feel that there is something to the map circles, and should be discussed at more length.

The "seeding with humans" thought came to me since there are two on the east side of the Kayarsus.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2014, 12:38:41 pm »
Maybe worth noting that that one north west of golgotterath isn't even in the maps in the books.

Other than Golgotterath, none of the other circles seem to be in meaningful places, or at least not that we know of. If they do indeed turn out to be something, then I doubt we'll learn about it until TSTSNBN.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2014, 03:32:07 pm »
Finally had the time to listen to casts 2 and 3.  Again, thoroughly enjoyed hearing others with my relatively rare condition (Bakkeritis Adiectio) talking about my favorite books.  :D  Thanks to all you guys for taking the time to put these together.

Although I disagree on the pronunciations.  lol

Also, cheers for the shout out in cast 2, guys.  I'm blushing.
No whistling on the slog!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2014, 03:53:18 pm »
It is pretty entertaining to talk about TSA for an hour +. Technical difficulties for an hour before the cast lol, and probably another hour + of chat after.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2014, 04:19:47 pm »
So I/we are thinking about making a youtube channel and hosting the TSAcasts that way.

Anyone care to weigh in? Also, if anyone is familiar with the process, or the monetization of the channel/videos via youtuve, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2014, 06:30:30 pm »
I wish I had some insights on the inner workings to offer but I just hope you guys make more of them. I also think YouTube would be s great move as it would be easier to curate, easier for us to listen to, and you could showcase some of our community's wonderful artwork, all at the same time.

Garet Jax

« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2014, 06:53:23 pm »
I wish I had some insights on the inner workings to offer but I just hope you guys make more of them. I also think YouTube would be s great move as it would be easier to curate, easier for us to listen to, and you could showcase some of our community's wonderful artwork, all at the same time.

Great idea, Bolivar!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »
Ahh, good point. Could make thumbnails out of Somna's art, or slideshows, and have them run on the screen as we speak. Not sure how easy/difficult that would be to add, but its a great idea.

I'm glad you like them, maybe you want to participate? Always looking for new members to spotlight.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2014, 11:05:44 pm »
And Quinthane's art and all the different book covers that there be!  Pics of Bakker maybe too...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2014, 12:22:05 am »

Great idea, Bolivar!

+1

Something listeners absolutely can do is use this thread to suggest topics to roundtable about :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer