The Prince of Nothing: TV series

• 135 Replies

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2016, 01:10:42 pm »
Yeah the Jeremy Irons one. It was great. Much better than the Netflix version. I was disappointed it was cancelled. Jeremy Irons would be a fantastic Eli.

My mental picture of Eli is actually pretty much Jeremy Irons already.  I can already hear "Fucking Chanv addicts.  What does an addict know of hope?" in Iron's voice.

Titan

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2016, 05:17:25 am »
The plot is a bit meandering, but I have always been a sucker for alt-historical settings. Even so, some of the actors are terrific and I like what the show tries do, show the implications of different courses history could have taken.

I'm also a fan of "The Man in the High Castle"... The final episode was a real  :o , so I'm eagerly anticipating season 2.

Frail

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2016, 01:24:38 am »
Im a little late to this party but fuck if this didnt make my day. I feel like any of the big production shows could pull off the series with some good direction. As some have mentioned, this would have to be a different type of tv show.

It would be interesting to storyboard out the first episode so to speak. In my mind the prologue would have no music, and be edited without much cinematic flair, this would fit Kellhus's POV well too. After Kellhus flees the Nonmen, it would lead into the title sequence, then into Achamians first scene. I think a solid way to end the episode would show Geshrunni beaten by the fat man / cut to Achamian leaving Atyersus then / cut back to Gehrunni being dragged through the mud. "Something impossibly ancient," "Inconceivably beautiful." And that whole fun dialogue.

JRControl

• Momurai
  • Kellhus lied, Harambe died
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2016, 02:05:50 am »
Personally I'd want the entire first episode about the prologue 2000 years ago. But that is extremely unlikely.
“Because you’re a pious man born to a world unable to fathom your piety. But all that changes with me, Akka. The old food pyramids have outlived the age of their intention, and I have come to reveal the new. I am the Slimmest Path, and I say that you are not damned.”

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2016, 02:15:21 am »
Have nothing to add really. Just want to reiterate from ye old film threads that my perfect casting for Saubon would be Daniel Craig, and Ron Perlman voicing Aurang, which would just be next level.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2016, 08:46:48 pm »
I think the TV show will have to bury the consult, keep them off screen even more so than the books.

There is just too much to cover in a couple episodes and spending one of them with Akka in Carythusal seems a waste of time. It's a wasted set if nothing else, and since I doubt there is a massive budget for this project, cost is an important factor.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2016, 10:42:20 pm »
If the TV show buries the Consult we might as well bury the TV show. No point.

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2016, 11:29:32 pm »
Bakker lost the number sticks - his perfect cast is too old for this now.

Arnold - Kellhus
Jason Alexander - Akka
Robert Duvall - Saubon
Tom Cruise - Conphas
Sylvester Stallons - Cnaiur
Morgan Freeman - Meppa
Catherine Zeta Jones - Esmenet
Nicholas Cage - Nansur Emperor
Eliazaras - Jerry Stiller

Tell me this wouldn't sell like hotcakes, I dare you.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:33:28 pm by Srancy »

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2016, 02:08:02 am »
Guys, how do you feel about casting and accents? I always felt like Game of Thrones should have had American actors with American accents since it's fundamentally an American series written with American sensibilities. I think it would be refreshing if we had a modern fantasy series without the British accents for once.

Jason Alexander - Akka

!!!

Srancy your picks are amazing but this is an "oh shit" moment!

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2016, 03:30:07 am »
"I got rejected by a prostitute. A whore rejected me! A woman with no afterlife and no morals told me I wasn't her type. Apparently the harlot likes a taller guy!"

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2016, 01:32:46 pm »
Guys, how do you feel about casting and accents? I always felt like Game of Thrones should have had American actors with American accents since it's fundamentally an American series written with American sensibilities. I think it would be refreshing if we had a modern fantasy series without the British accents for once.

Jason Alexander - Akka

!!!

Srancy your picks are amazing but this is an "oh shit" moment!

Srancy is someone who can only out-think themselves.

"I got rejected by a prostitute. A whore rejected me! A woman with no afterlife and no morals told me I wasn't her type. Apparently the harlot likes a taller guy!"

Lmao.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2016, 02:08:27 pm »

Gold.
No whistling on the slog!

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2016, 05:36:17 pm »
One must always strive for perfection, Madness!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:25:39 am by Srancy »

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2016, 05:19:57 am »
I think the TV show will have to bury the consult, keep them off screen even more so than the books.

There is just too much to cover in a couple episodes and spending one of them with Akka in Carythusal seems a waste of time. It's a wasted set if nothing else, and since I doubt there is a massive budget for this project, cost is an important factor.

The Consult won't get buried.  They're the best of all things:  Something that can be talked about, a sinister presence with real influence and power but that is unseen.  Also Carythusal won't be a waste of time or budget.  Practically speaking, Suma, Momen, and Carythusal are all Ketyai majority cities in the same climate range and a lot of shared cultural material.  They can all be shot in the same location/group of sets.  Carythusal sets up a lot of background material (the Schools, the Holy War, Chorae, the Scarlet Spires in particular) and the Skin Spies/Consult.   All you need is a few backstreets and a tavern set in the same location you're shooting Suma and Momen with a shot or two of the Spires itself added in.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2016, 02:39:57 pm »
I guess that's true, the major cities of the three seas will be very similar looking. But, then there is a need to add some travel period from Carythusal to Sumna, with the stop at Atyersus. Maybe have Atyersus/Quorum be a dream sequence, using it as a way to get an early intro into sorcery.
Having something mysterious like Geshrunni being murdered is a pretty good hookfor the first episode.

If you just start in Sumna, it gets rid of the need for that. Then you can conceivably just start in Sumna with Esmi and Inrau kind of already in the picture. I just dont think there will be time to be flashing around to all these different places - it'll just confuse viewers don't you think?

Kell in the mountains, then some random trapper, then these barbarians, then several different cities, schools, Quorum, some prostitute, a priest, then to another city following an emperor and his retinue, it all seems like too much. Mostly, I should add, because TDTCB is unusual compared to the rest of the story. I think people would be pissed if, for all of the first season it looks like you're getting into a medieval political intrigue/drama, that then for the rest of the show is a adventure/war story.

If you start out and have season one, two, and three each be their own book, it might as well be 3 different shows, not to mention TTT itself probably isn't long enough to be a whole 8-10 episode season.

I'm thinking the show would be better served to have the world building of TDTCB sort of chopped up and spread throughout, taking less time to get to the holy war moving... But I don't watch a lot of TV, and what I do watch is nothing like this. Any suggestions on a show that was done well with the same scale as TSA? Maybe a season for  TDTCB is plenty of time, I just worry about the cohesion of the story not working well in TV format the way its written in the book.

That post just kind of became a steam of conscious. FYI, I don't know shit about TV, so please enlighten me if what I saying doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:47:37 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.