H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2017, 04:07:52 pm »
You guys are right, your points are valid - they just didn't "ruin" the story for me.

Well, I don't mean to imply it ruined the story for me.  But I do think it could have been better in some places.  However there were legitimately places where it is Bakker's best writing, hands down.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

obstinate

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2017, 08:28:05 pm »
My 2c: some things go beyond liking and disliking. I didn't "like" Schindler's List. I'm not sure I "liked" TUC either. I do think it was important and that there was something true about it.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2017, 04:10:18 am »
A man once  said "Schindler's List is the worst comedy movie I have ever seen" and I agree with those words.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2017, 01:01:22 pm »
A man once  said "Schindler's List is the worst comedy movie I have ever seen" and I agree with those words.

Well, its been decades since I watched it, but remember liking it. Though now that I've been reading holocaust history recently, I wonder the accuracy.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Thing called Sarcellus

• Nascenti
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
    • Stabface Enterprises
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2017, 03:17:14 am »
I enjoyed it.  Clearly not the end of the story.  Now I knew this before I finished, and I can see how it may have been upsetting to anyone that was unaware.

SalvatorDunyain

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2017, 01:39:54 pm »
One of the most different and amazing things I have ever read.  It didn't go the way I wanted the story to go, but I thought it was perfect.  I did not let that color my feelings on the book.  I am Team Kellhus all the way and I wanted a win for him; obviously not what happened.  Bakker books read like scripture and tell me more about me as a person than any other thing I have read. I can't wait for more.  It transcends reading because of how he writes; how can you not want more of this?  ASOIAF, Kingkiller Chronicles, Dresden, The Iron Druid, and even Dragonlance and that old stuff doesn't come close to what Bakker has done with his books and world.  Time spent rereading, lurking on here and researching related topics to *know*.  That is amazing.  The only thing that comes close is Richard Kadrey or Wily Vlautin; check them out- good thinking man writing.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2017, 02:51:48 pm »
Definitely agree with the sentiment SalvatorDunyain, and thanks for sharing. I think that's probably a well-shared feeling around here - that the stories here go beyond mere fantasy writing and seem to encourage some inward reflection in a way that appear totally unique to the genre.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2017, 03:49:34 pm »
One of the most different and amazing things I have ever read.  It didn't go the way I wanted the story to go, but I thought it was perfect.  I did not let that color my feelings on the book.  I am Team Kellhus all the way and I wanted a win for him; obviously not what happened.  Bakker books read like scripture and tell me more about me as a person than any other thing I have read. I can't wait for more.  It transcends reading because of how he writes; how can you not want more of this?  ASOIAF, Kingkiller Chronicles, Dresden, The Iron Druid, and even Dragonlance and that old stuff doesn't come close to what Bakker has done with his books and world.  Time spent rereading, lurking on here and researching related topics to *know*.  That is amazing.  The only thing that comes close is Richard Kadrey or Wily Vlautin; check them out- good thinking man writing.

Actually, Malazan comes pretty close too.

Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

SalvatorDunyain

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2017, 05:24:28 pm »
Wow, an Old Name responding!!!  Thanks, Wilshire.  Dora Vee, I have never been able to get into the Malazan.  I should try again.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2017, 05:30:41 pm »
I'd hesitate to call Malazan similar to TSA on almost any metric. Loved the series, don't get me wrong, but other than both of them being fantasy war novels I'd say they are quite dissimilar, tbh. Plenty disagree though :)

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2018, 01:52:05 am »
I'd hesitate to call Malazan similar to TSA on almost any metric. Loved the series, don't get me wrong, but other than both of them being fantasy war novels I'd say they are quite dissimilar, tbh. Plenty disagree though :)

They have some superficial similarities such as both having philosophical elements that spread throughout the series in addition to the focus on war. Theology plays a big role on both series, though the approach to divinity differs, with Malazan taking on a Silmarillion style.

Just for fun I think we can equate the following:

Cnaiur = Karsa (both of them are barbarians with a penchant for violence and an intellect that goes beyond what their station would suggest). Both also say "witness"  ;D

Wracu = Eleint (Incredibly superficial since they both serve different purposes. The only real similarity is that both universes feature powerful  sentient dragons)

the Ark = Jade Statues?

No God = Crippled God
(click to show/hide)

Outside (damnation) = Dragnipur (both are places of eternal torment)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2018, 02:21:46 pm »
Right. Superficially there's some common elements that they share, no more so than most other fantasy novels though.
There is defeinatly more philosophical commentary in Malazan than is typical in the genre, so in that they are a bit similar.
But as you point out, while the archetypes exist, their application differ dramatically in every case.

(btw, Arc/Jade-Statues is a good one, hadn't though of that)