Unnecessary Capitalisation

• 6 Replies

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« on: November 27, 2017, 10:01:40 am »
I don't know if any else has noticed it but TUC seems to be filled with certain words being capitalised...when they really don't need to be.

World being upgraded from "world" I can live with, being a term to denote physical existence instead of the Outside and Void to be space.

But TUC, and the TGO seems to just randomly capitalise words for the sake of it.

Ages, Enemy, Terror, among countless others.

It just seems quite glaring. While I'm enjoying the reread even more, this and the incessant use of italics is really doing my nut in.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:53:25 pm »
You know, the italics and such were starting to bother me, then I listened to about 1/3 of TUC as an audiobook. Hated it - and a big part of that, imo, is that while the italics/caps/bold/whatever seem over the top, they actually add a lot to the story. Without them, ie the Reader not able to convey the meaning in the reading, the book lost a lot of its punch.

So now I'm an italics convert ... Sorry.

But, as always, different people fixate on different things. Some of the timeline discrepancies, dates, name spelling changes, the list is certainly a long one. Also imo, just bad, bad editing all around. Someone should have at least been reading the text critically for those obvious non-canonical issues, but also for timline/spelling stuff as well. Its a shame, as the errors start to stack up and start detracting from the book itself.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 05:52:41 pm »
But, as always, different people fixate on different things. Some of the timeline discrepancies, dates, name spelling changes, the list is certainly a long one.

I wonder who those are... ;)

Anyway, I did notice the frequent capitalizations, but they didn't really bother me much. I figured Bakker was just using that to make everything seem more epic and grandiose.
The italics did annoy me a little, but not that much that it stopped me from enjoying TUC overall. And like Wilshire said, they do play an important role at some points (but yes, there are probably some parts of the text where they could be dispensed with).
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 06:08:07 pm »
Other weird words stand out - I think there's a thread. But for me, specifically, the word akimbo appears more than once describing the orientation of Kellhus' severed heads, or Kellhus himself. I don't think I've ever encountered that word, and to see it used several times was really jarring.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:17:04 pm »
Other weird words stand out - I think there's a thread. But for me, specifically, the word akimbo appears more than once describing the orientation of Kellhus' severed heads, or Kellhus himself. I don't think I've ever encountered that word, and to see it used several times was really jarring.

I am used to seeing that as meaning "with a hand on the hip" so it was odd to me because I didn't know it meant anything else.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 02:04:44 pm »

I am used to seeing that as meaning "with a hand on the hip" so it was odd to me because I didn't know it meant anything else.
"(of other limbs) flung out widely or haphazardly."
Maybe its a little joke from bakker. Describing severed heads as akimbo because they don't have arms and its funny that even though they are heads they are acting as 'other limbs'.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 05:18:24 pm »
I'm with you, Wolfdrop :).

The change in the continuity of capitalization across TAE between WLW and TGO was something that I noticed as well.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer