[TUC Spoilers} Apocalypse, Armageddon, Eucalyptus, and Word Choice

• 22 Replies

The P

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 03:48:54 pm »
Back to eucalyptus, I know it grows all over the place.  I mention its nativity to Australia and surrounding islands merely to point out why it stuck out to me in the first place.  Certainly, and likely, there is no significance.

The P

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 03:52:07 pm »
Plus he's mentioned to me since "revealing" The No-God title that he didn't want readers going through the preceding novels expecting Kellhus' to become the No-God (given that the third series title breaks the convention of series titles).
As the saying goes, two is just a coincidence!

I thought it was "two out of three ain't bad"

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 03:59:15 pm »
Plus he's mentioned to me since "revealing" The No-God title that he didn't want readers going through the preceding novels expecting Kellhus' to become the No-God (given that the third series title breaks the convention of series titles).
As the saying goes, two is just a coincidence!

I thought it was "two out of three ain't bad"

Pretty sure you mean 'one in hand is better than two in the bush'
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 04:10:27 pm »
Lol. Oh, you guys.

I actually had suggested to him scrap the longstanding intention entirely and go with The Years of the Crib as the third series name but, obviously, he didn't go for it ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 04:16:46 pm »
Sorry, me, for the double post but...

On topic, Bakker does write with a healthy selection of botany books within reach and I have it from more than a few readers (some I know personally with degrees in forestry) that Bakker's tree knowledge is on point.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2020, 05:19:36 pm »

On topic, Bakker does write with a healthy selection of botany books within reach and I have it from more than a few readers (some I know personally with degrees in forestry) that Bakker's tree knowledge is on point.

Wait... really? Why??

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 10:41:53 am »

Wait... really? Why??

Barring some kind of deeply-entrenched, long-planned botanical super twist, I'd wager it is for worldbuilding purposes.

Having spent an obssessive amount of time creating my own fantasy world that is also (like TSA, presumably) intended to be at least kinda realistic and accurate to real life, something that hits you fairly early on is the task of actually describing the natural features of the fictional places one is conconcting. Given the pretty vast range of biomes and ecological diversity on display throughout TSA, and since RSB does in fact describe the flora of most of the wilderness regions he creates (I can't speak to accuracy, but I've certainly noticed the attention to detail here), then in order to have an idea of what sort of plants grow in what kind of climate, during what season, what they look or smell like, and their agricultural/economic value...well, a few good books on botany are kind of a requirement eventually.

Plus, RSB grew up on a tobacco farm, so I would think he was somewhat equipped early on with an appreciation for how important flora is to describing...almost any type of outdoor location. I mean, if you're describing a place that is meant to be relatively reminsicent of its real life counterparts, the two big parts are the plants, and geological terrain it is growing from -- which both kinda go hand-in-hand to climate and ecology, all of which will inform the worldbuilding eventually, even if one starts with a city or whatever and works backwards.

(I mostly just use the internet, but I wouldn't turn down a nice botanical encyclopedia)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:46:43 am by Frankly Bucked »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 12:49:52 pm »
That makes a lot of sense. Never really thought of it but its probably something you'd notice if it was absent.