The Slog TJE - Chapters 1-3 [Spoilers]

• 34 Replies

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 04:29:45 pm »
The difference here though is that the collapse of the Empire, at this point, is not rellevent. They would have needed its collapse before the holywar disembarked.

The vacuum left behind, the collapse of the empire, does not stop the men already marching, bent on the destruction of the Consult.

But that's the point of the Interdiction, isn't it? The morale of the Great Ordeal would falter if they knew the homes and loved ones they were fighting to protect were already gone. I just find it immensely intruiging if it happened by the designs of the Consult and not just the heathen and Zeumi, or the possibility that more than just Coyauri and Sword Dancers might start showing up in the Three Seas.

And I'm not sure Fanayal or Zeum could do a better job maintaining stability than whoever Kellhus left. The initial Nannaferi scene suggests there is still considerable enmity between the Orthodox and the heathen, and the number of cult followers among the lower castes is huge. But even if they could maintain some kind of order, how does that dynamic change if the Consult has likely infiltrated the Zeumi court?

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 04:47:09 pm »
The difference here though is that the collapse of the Empire, at this point, is not rellevent. They would have needed its collapse before the holywar disembarked.

The vacuum left behind, the collapse of the empire, does not stop the men already marching, bent on the destruction of the Consult.

But that's the point of the Interdiction, isn't it? The morale of the Great Ordeal would falter if they knew the homes and loved ones they were fighting to protect were already gone. I just find it immensely intruiging if it happened by the designs of the Consult and not just the heathen and Zeumi, or the possibility that more than just Coyauri and Sword Dancers might start showing up in the Three Seas.

And I'm not sure Fanayal or Zeum could do a better job maintaining stability than whoever Kellhus left. The initial Nannaferi scene suggests there is still considerable enmity between the Orthodox and the heathen, and the number of cult followers among the lower castes is huge. But even if they could maintain some kind of order, how does that dynamic change if the Consult has likely infiltrated the Zeumi court?

Well, we could presume, by what we learn from Theliopa, that the dark-skinned skin-spy is new.  Presumably they were made to infiltrate Zeum though, right?  It seems highly plausible that the Consult now has agents there.  Other-wise, why even bother to tell us about it's skin color?

That being said, it has to be part of Kellhus plan for the Empire to fall, right?  There's no way he hasn't predicted something so major.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2016, 05:22:06 pm »
He definitely has plans for Zeum, and it seem implausible that Fanayal is running around unchecked and forgotten by Kellhus. Just like Akka in his tower, everything has its purpose - probably.

The skin spy may have just been the first the Consult used in the Three Seas. It seems unlikely that the Consult have spies on the Nonmen and all the Three Seas, but neglected to infiltrate Zeum.

As you said, H, there was a point of showing them to us, and clearly Kellhus has plans for Zeum - though that path is unclear to me.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2016, 05:35:44 pm »
As you said, H, there was a point of showing them to us, and clearly Kellhus has plans for Zeum - though that path is unclear to me.

I think now to what Zsoronga tells Sorweel about Kellhus' manipulation his father:

"So what did your father do?"

Zsoronga snorted in derision. "What he always does. Talk, talk, and bargain. My father believes in words, Horse-King. He lacks the courage your father showed."

I think Kellhus played this excellently.  He knew exactly how to manipulate him.  Since that is the case, I have doubt that know his nature so well, he wouldn't anticipate the further hidden reaction.  No, I think his move with the envoys was an absolute goad, one he knew couldn't be ignored.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 05:54:30 pm »
`Started re-read, when traveller comes down 3 people are staring at him, when he gets closer only 2 are described. Cleric and Kosoter.

Esme gives birth just after Shimeh exactly where Inri ascended in Shimeh, according to her, we know from the appendix that it might have actually been where Moe was. So Dad dying and first son born in the two places where Inri ascended.

Quick thoughts i'll order them more later.