• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« on: March 15, 2016, 11:21:07 am »
Chapter 7:

I have to admit that the Sorweel chapters are usually my least favorite and I can't really say why.  I think I often find them too straight-forward, which I am sure means I am missing something.

The ghost of Harweel turned its burnt head, revealing a face devoid of hope and eyes. Beetles dropped from the joints of his blasted armour, clicked and scuttled in the dark.

The dead, it grated without sound, cannot see.

I wonder if this is simply a vision of Sorweel's own mind, or his dead father really speaking to him?

That night they knelt for what seemed the first time, gave voice to the great unanswered ache in their hearts. They held their Circumfixes hot between moist palms, and they prayed. And the chill that pimpled their skin seemed holy.

They knew what they had seen, what they had felt.

For who could be such a fool as to mistake Truth?

A great example of viramsata in action.  The Truth made true by conviction.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:37:22 am »
Chapter 8, "half-way" there!

He was relatively young, clean-shaven, as was the custom for Nilnameshi caste-nobles, with amiable eyes and a full-lipped mouth—the kind of man who inspired husbands to be more gracious to their wives. He seemed to blink continually, but it was a habit that only seemed ludicrous the first time you noticed it, then became quite natural after.

I had debated in my mind if Soma was a skin spy the whole time.  I think this points to the answer being yes.  He recognizes that a Mandate sorcerer would be of interest to the Old Fathers, so he takes Akka in to their little group.

"Sweet Sejenus," Galian exclaimed. "That solves the mystery of Soma's missing beard!"

It would also make sense that skin-spies cannot grow beards.

"It's as I thought," Soma said as Achamian joined them. His look was amiable enough but with an edge that advised no contradictions. "She's one of the Bitten as well!"

The smell of contrivance hung about all their looks. They had planned this, Achamian realized, as a way of luring the prize to their fire. The question was one of how far the covenant went.

Again, the Soma-agent recognizes that Mimara would be important and brings her into it's fold as well.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 02:20:37 pm »

"Sweet Sejenus," Galian exclaimed. "That solves the mystery of Soma's missing beard!"

I don't think that is the case.  Chepheramunni, the King Regent of Ainoni, was bearded, and he was discovered to have been a skin-spy.  Also, there was the scene in TTT (I think) where one of the skin-spies shed its hair in front of Cnaiur.  I think they can grow/shed body hair at will to help assume their target's identity.  Two cents spent.  :)
No whistling on the slog!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 04:55:41 pm »

I don't think that is the case.  Chepheramunni, the King Regent of Ainoni, was bearded, and he was discovered to have been a skin-spy.  Also, there was the scene in TTT (I think) where one of the skin-spies shed its hair in front of Cnaiur.  I think they can grow/shed body hair at will to help assume their target's identity.  Two cents spent.  :)

Good point, I had forgotten about those references.  I'll blame this fever I've had for the last few days, but it's really just bad memory, haha.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 11:20:06 am »
Chapter 9:

"No... I mean when we think." He was crying now, a desperate kind of hitching that made him bare his teeth. "D-does Sammy hear us when we think?

At first, I was still thinking that Kel is working against Esmenet, but here she realizes she can't cry and is lamenting how that will look to the crowd and low and behold, here is Kel making her cry.  He is certainly acting and acting in a way to save Esmenet.  Perhaps it is true, Kel's voice is a god who opposes Yatwer?

A slender clutch knocked aside by a strong, wide-waving arm. Steps taken. Distances rolled up into oblivion. A tugging from spaces unseen. The woman shrieking, "My love! My love, please!"

What have I done?

These White-Luck warrior parts are quite confusing.  So, here is where he takes the mattle, so the speak?  Where he abandons his wife and child to die?

His legs crumpled, and he leaned and lurched against her. Grunting, Esmenet helped him stagger to their bed.

"Wife..." was all he said, rolling onto his back even though he still wore his sword, Certainty, sheathed across his shoulder blades. He raised a heavy hand to his forehead.

I'm not buying it.  While I doubt doubt that the teleportation is taxing, I feel like this is for show more than anything.  A way for him to lie to Esmenet about why he returns so seldomly now.

"Cursed be he who misleads the blind man on the road!"

I guess this refers to Kellhus?  That the people are the blind on the road and his Thousandfold Thought is a lie?

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 06:12:30 pm »
^ I think he is trying to help in some situations and that he might make it hard for Fanayal to secure his hold on Momemn in TGO.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 02:06:10 pm by Bolivar »