• 51 Replies

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« on: July 10, 2017, 03:16:46 am »
Given the ambiguity of the ending, a surprisingly large number of the core cast may still be alive, in one form or another. On the other hand, virtually everyone could be dead. Since we are unlikely to get an answer to this whatsoever until the next book, I imagine there will be a lot of discussion on the possibilities.

In terms of who survived Golgotterath, I think there are some which are nearly guaranteed, at least as much as anything can be guaranteed in this series.

My own thoughts, after only a cursory re-reading of select scenes, is listed roughly from most to least likely:

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:09:06 am by The Meta-Mod »

Cuttlefish

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 03:34:17 am »
I think I agree with your list, with two exceptions.

(click to show/hide)

lastborn

• Emwama
  • Last King's Book
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:15:24 am »
Meppa, definitely.

Another plot point "dropped" so to speak is Simas, the skin-spy with a soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any fool can see the limits of seeing, but not even the wisest know the limits of knowing. Thus is ignorance rendered invisible, and are all Men made fools.

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 12:59:50 pm »
Moe Jr.'s Scylvendi have Excursi, but I don't know if those work once the No-God is in direct control.  If they don't, that host is in incredible danger this close to the Horde.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 02:06:28 pm »
I feel pretty confident that somehow Akka, Esmenet, Mimara and Akka Jr. are all still alive.

Serwa seems dead, as are the rest of the kids, I think, maybe Kyutas lives.

Cnaiur is "dead" but like Kellhus, I don't think that is the last we'll see of him.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

lastborn

• Emwama
  • Last King's Book
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:09:47 pm »
Yeah, the description of Cnaiur in TGO definitely makes him out to be "one who falls as hunger"

All is illumined before the Eye. It knows no shadow—the same as It knows no past, no future. She sees him, Cnaiür urs Skiötha, the legend, and she cannot look away. She sees him for the soul he is.
“I am a fool in this,” the old Wizard retorts. “No different than you.”
The Scylvendi demon grins. It is like staring into a furnace, watching him. Heat pinches her cheeks. She squints against the blowing of unseen sparks. The sins of the Wizard—grievous though they may be—are but trifles compared to the atrocities wrought by this one man.

Apologies for bad formatting.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:45:11 pm by Madness »
Any fool can see the limits of seeing, but not even the wisest know the limits of knowing. Thus is ignorance rendered invisible, and are all Men made fools.

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 12:46:56 am »
(click to show/hide)
Considering all that scary circus just before the situation (I've finished TUC few minutes ago), it seems
(click to show/hide)

Dunno what to think though.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:48:55 am by Simas Polchias »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 02:09:55 pm »
As long as we're within the TUC subforum, you guys can drop the spoiler tags now. Thanks for observing :)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 04:46:24 pm »
Aw, that's a relief about spoilers. Reading all 9 pages of "[TUC SPOILERS] Thoughts about the overall story, ending etc  New" was like the Tiny Ordeal. Click, click, click.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 05:16:28 pm »
My list of the Survivors
Akka
Akka the Younger
Moe the Younger
Esmenet
Mimara
Crabicus
Meppa?? ( possible)
Kayutas?? ( possible)
Kelmomas ( The No-God)
Aurax
4 Dûnyain

Also, what exactly happened to Mek?  feel like I didn't pay enough attention to him.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 05:21:05 pm »
My list of the Survivors
Akka
Akka the Younger
Moe the Younger
Esmenet
Mimara
Crabicus
Meppa?? ( possible)
Kayutas?? ( possible)
Kelmomas ( The No-God)
Aurax
4 Dûnyain

Also, what exactly happened to Mek?  feel like I didn't pay enough attention to him.

Mek was beheaded by Kellhus.
Mystery denotes darkness

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 05:22:19 pm »
Mek was beheaded by Kellhus.

Yeah, Kellhus/Ajokli.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Werthead

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
    • The Wertzone
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 06:20:15 pm »
It's blink and you miss it, but Kayutas carries Serwa's body ("her sister's body") out of the Ark as Mimara is climbing up towards No-Kellhus. From that I'm assuming she's dead but Kayutas was still alive at that moment.

I'm more interested in what happened to the Sun Lance, as, with the Heron Spear still MIA (although I suspect the Scylvendi may have it somewhere) that could be quite useful.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 06:35:14 pm »
It's blink and you miss it, but Kayutas carries Serwa's body ("her sister's body") out of the Ark as Mimara is climbing up towards No-Kellhus. From that I'm assuming she's dead but Kayutas was still alive at that moment.

I'm more interested in what happened to the Sun Lance, as, with the Heron Spear still MIA (although I suspect the Scylvendi may have it somewhere) that could be quite useful.
I think the contention is that she was not yet dead inside and given Cniaur reappearance, its possible she's alive.

Sun Lance was connected to the ship. Barring some Kellhusian developments into electricity, it might not be as useful as the Spear. That said, some contrivance of soul-bound mechanisms might do the trick.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

False Man

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 06:40:45 pm »
Some saw the winged horror of the Horde-General flitting down and about, then darting like a sparrow into obscurity. Some saw the Aspect-Emperor slip like a coin from a slashed purse, only to vanish into the oblivion of sorcerous light. Some saw the Spear topple out into the void, trailing a rope attached to some kind of metallic coffer ...

The box is probably its source of energy but I don't understand if the box is attached to the Horn or if the Sun Lance just fell into the void.