Miscellaneous Chatter > Literature

N. K. Jemisin's Broken Earth Series [Spoilers]

<< < (2/5) > >>

MSJ:
So, it's our Earth. And, we desstryed it once already. I agree with your post at Westeros, that Father Earth is a entity that was awaken when Orogenes, Guardians and whoever else started fucking with him.

The magic is what ties everything together for me. It turns oroogenes into Stone Eaters, it's wheat controls the Obelisks and the Guardians. The question is, who is behind the magic? So, Schaffa seems to want Nassun to bring the moon back, isn't that what How wants Essun to do also? Is that what Alabaster was trying to do also? Or, was he just trying to completely destroy the world, a and wants Essun to finish it off? Confused about that part of it.

H:

--- Quote from: MSJ on September 15, 2016, 02:05:57 am ---So, it's our Earth. And, we desstryed it once already. I agree with your post at Westeros, that Father Earth is a entity that was awaken when Orogenes, Guardians and whoever else started fucking with him.

The magic is what ties everything together for me. It turns oroogenes into Stone Eaters, it's wheat controls the Obelisks and the Guardians. The question is, who is behind the magic? So, Schaffa seems to want Nassun to bring the moon back, isn't that what How wants Essun to do also? Is that what Alabaster was trying to do also? Or, was he just trying to completely destroy the world, a and wants Essun to finish it off? Confused about that part of it.

--- End quote ---

I think Magic is just the basic substrate of life and/or the universe.  Some things can just happen to tap into it.

I think it all went downhill in every way once they built Corepoint.  It was exploitative to a whole new level, basically sapping the Earth at a more fundamental level than ever before.  Perhaps that taping into of is what awoke Father Earth.  Perhaps it's deeper, like Father Earth is the original, substantially more powerful precursor to Stone Eaters?

As for Schaffa, I can't get a good read on what the hell he is really up to.  I guess he wants to bring the moon back, because it seems he is at odds with the other Guardians.  But I really can't tell what it is he wants, besides his desire to protect Nassun.

MSJ:
Well the Magic is what turns a Orogene into a stone water when they make a circuit with the Obelisks. Its also what is used to control Guardians through their Corestone. So someone or something is using it to effect a LOT of things. Who do you believe is behind the Guardians?

H:

--- Quote from: MSJ on September 15, 2016, 12:04:47 pm ---Well the Magic is what turns a Orogene into a stone water when they make a circuit with the Obelisks. Its also what is used to control Guardians through their Corestone. So someone or something is using it to effect a LOT of things. Who do you believe is behind the Guardians?

--- End quote ---

Oh, I'm definitely thinking it is Father Earth.  That quote from the "defective" Guardian in TFS, where she says "it seeped in to their perfect creation" mixed with Schaffa recalling the wire-chair they used to make him a Guardian once had another purpose, definitely leads me to believe that Father Earth "converted" a rival bunch of Orogenes to try to stop Corepoint.

Of course, then it all went even further awry when the Obelisks went and got used as a weapon, further escalating things.

MSJ:

--- Quote from: H on September 15, 2016, 03:30:51 pm ---
--- Quote from: MSJ on September 15, 2016, 12:04:47 pm ---Well the Magic is what turns a Orogene into a stone water when they make a circuit with the Obelisks. Its also what is used to control Guardians through their Corestone. So someone or something is using it to effect a LOT of things. Who do you believe is behind the Guardians?

--- End quote ---

Oh, I'm definitely thinking it is Father Earth.  That quote from the "defective" Guardian in TFS, where she says "it seeped in to their perfect creation" mixed with Schaffa recalling the wire-chair they used to make him a Guardian once had another purpose, definitely leads me to believe that Father Earth "converted" a rival bunch of Orogenes to try to stop Corepoint.

Of course, then it all went even further awry when the Obelisks went and got used as a weapon, further escalating things.

--- End quote ---

So if Father Earth controls the Gaurdians, why would he be opposed to bringing the moon back and thus restoring balance to Earth. Something I just can't get to line up and make sense, H.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version