Earwa > The No-God

Achamian as the most powerful sorcerer left alive in the Three Seas.

<< < (3/15) > >>

H:

--- Quote from: tleilaxu on October 03, 2017, 02:12:34 pm ---Why would the world being shut stop people from having children?
--- End quote ---

Plausibly, no souls out means no souls in.

Sausuna:

--- Quote from: tleilaxu on October 03, 2017, 02:12:34 pm ---Why would the world being shut stop people from having children?

--- End quote ---
I'd note again that I'm merely speculating.
But from what I recall (as with everything, I'd have to double check) that the end of TUC referenced the 'cycle of souls'. Then one could take the idea of daimotic metaphysics, that all souls occupy one place, seemingly related to The Outside or linked/related to it. And in Cants of Calling that sleeping people have a connection to the Outside.

My point being, I'm of the mindset that interfering with how souls leave the world may very well interfere with how they enter it.

TLEILAXU:

--- Quote from: H on October 03, 2017, 02:24:03 pm ---
--- End quote ---

Plausibly, no souls out means no souls in.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Sausuna on October 03, 2017, 02:48:17 pm ---

--- End quote ---
I'd note again that I'm merely speculating.
But from what I recall (as with everything, I'd have to double check) that the end of TUC referenced the 'cycle of souls'. Then one could take the idea of daimotic metaphysics, that all souls occupy one place, seemingly related to The Outside or linked/related to it. And in Cants of Calling that sleeping people have a connection to the Outside.

My point being, I'm of the mindset that interfering with how souls leave the world may very well interfere with how they enter it.

--- End quote ---
But you don't need souls anymore after the world of shut. They're a part of Eärwan metaphysics. After the Outside has been shut you arrive in a world like our world.

H:

--- Quote from: tleilaxu on October 03, 2017, 04:22:26 pm ---But you don't need souls anymore after the world of shut. They're a part of Eärwan metaphysics. After the Outside has been shut you arrive in a world like our world.
--- End quote ---

Plausible, but we don't know what happens once the world is closed.

Sure, souls aren't needed, but the birth of souled being might be contingent upon the Cycle of Souls.  So, the No-God stopping the Cycle could be why there were no births during it's presence.  Once the world is shut, we don't know, but if the end result is like the means, it could be that no souled beings will ever be born alive.

Sausuna:

--- Quote from: tleilaxu on October 03, 2017, 04:22:26 pm ---But you don't need souls anymore after the world of shut. They're a part of Eärwan metaphysics. After the Outside has been shut you arrive in a world like our world.

--- End quote ---
As H says, that's possible. But it seems unlikely to me.

Can living beings exist without souls? Sure, we have skin-spies and scranc, for instance. Can men be born without souls? I've seen no evidence of that so far. Seemingly all men have been born with souls and can even live without a proper body (the Amoilas, Shae's strange contraption, somewhat of Malowebi in the Decapitant, and so on). But assuming sealing the world breaks the cycle of souls, it would make more sense to me that men simply cannot make more men, not that birth would continue in a new way. Especially given the effect of the No-God.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version