Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2014, 03:23:59 pm »
This is what gets me so messed up about the Aporos. Assumptively it is just the aporetic inscription that affects the mundane (Kellhus' Seeling-Flame, Agonic Circle/Collar, etc - I am finding or starting the sorcerous objects thread sometime today because I can probably think of over ten).

And now that I think about it, the book suggested that the Carapace has aporetic script all over it...?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2014, 04:07:30 pm »
Yeah the mechanisms of sorcery writing kind of blows my mind. How do you make an utteral and an innutteral? A written and an unwritten ... What distinguishes it from mundane writing?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:21:49 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2014, 09:27:52 pm »
I think the Tusk came from a Ciphrang. It would be just ironic enough for the Consult to give humans a present that will be revered as holy, carved out of the most unholy creature imaginable. I do believe they are described with elephantine features...

Also, I think the Tusk is pretty huge. I never got the impression that it was anything less than immense, though I can't recall its actually size being named. Mostly it just hangs in a room by itself. In my head its a big room and the Tusk fills it.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2014, 06:45:41 pm »
Yeah the mechanisms of sorcery writing kind of blows my mind. How do you make an utteral and an innutteral? A written and an unwritten ... What distinguishes it from mundane writing?

+1 questions.

I think the Tusk came from a Ciphrang. It would be just ironic enough for the Consult to give humans a present that will be revered as holy, carved out of the most unholy creature imaginable. I do believe they are described with elephantine features...

Also, I think the Tusk is pretty huge. I never got the impression that it was anything less than immense, though I can't recall its actually size being named. Mostly it just hangs in a room by itself. In my head its a big room and the Tusk fills it.

Lol, Happy Ent over at Westeros did some great work determining that all of the Torah could fit on an elephant tusk or some such (I had linked some article about an inscriber who used modern day tools to inscribe bible verses coins or something)...

Though bone of a Ciphrang is genius.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2014, 03:49:05 pm »
I'm sure it could fit on the tusk of a mundane animal, but that's not nearly as awesome.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2014, 05:21:37 pm »
I hope we meet the Tusk-creature, could be some kind of 'one edition' derived.  I gotta believe Bakker's going to unveil some more kinds of monstrosities when Golgetterath empties.  It's going to fuck with the ordeal's soldiers heads if they see the Tusk's twin emerge from the Ark on the face of an incomprehensibly large and obscene thing.  What if there's more scripture on the other one?

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2014, 05:45:32 pm »
@ Madness - Now I really want what you said--a crash narrative to wrap up TUC.  It's got to be revealed because in some ways, it's the single greatest hinge of the whole story.  If the Inchoroi land with all their might and top-level tekne and fully rechargeable lasers on the promised world: nonmen and men extinguished before they even start on the No-God project, which takes like 5 minutes since they *finally* found the right spot.

It's been awhile since I've read Dune, what makes a crash narrative dunesque?

While we're at it, the Inchoroi land on Arrakis, who wins, them or the Shai Hulud?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2014, 08:58:50 pm »
I think the Inchoroi would devour any planet if at full force, but if they landed on Arrakis all bent up and broken, I imagine most of them would be swallowed on their first venture out to the desert, and the remaining would hide out on the ship and starve to death :P

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2014, 09:02:58 pm »
I think the Inchoroi would devour any planet if at full force, but if they landed on Arrakis all bent up and broken, I imagine most of them would be swallowed on their first venture out to the desert, and the remaining would hide out on the ship and starve to death :P

The whole planet suffering from the earthquake-causing GONGS of a sandworm banging into the ark.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2014, 01:17:29 am »
Random baseless speculation: if the Outside connects to all physical worlds, could Kellhus use it to visit worlds the Inchoroi have destroyed?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2014, 02:20:12 am »
There you go again. Go read the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons. :P

But, in Earwa, I'd have to say I doubt it. Kellhus can only to to places he has seen, and allegedly only as far as the horizon. I doubt he could safely travel to other celestial bodies..... Unless he saw a sweet computer generated universe that allowed him to 'see' other worlds before he went there.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2014, 11:57:29 am »
I liked the first Hyperion and then most of the second, but my appreciation completely unraveled by the end of the second.  I've been meaning to go back--I found it so compelling at the time that I think the problem maybe more reader than work.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2014, 02:07:29 pm »
Well the first book was far and away the best of the series. The general quality decreases from sequel to sequel, and the last 2 are something else entirely. However some of the concepts brought up in the latter two novels made me think of Earwa's meta-physics (even though there are no Gods in the series). Honestly probably not worth reading if book 2 was a chore.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2014, 12:13:31 pm »
@ Madness - Now I really want what you said--a crash narrative to wrap up TUC.  It's got to be revealed because in some ways, it's the single greatest hinge of the whole story.  If the Inchoroi land with all their might and top-level tekne and fully rechargeable lasers on the promised world: nonmen and men extinguished before they even start on the No-God project, which takes like 5 minutes since they *finally* found the right spot.

(click to show/hide)
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2014, 04:22:44 pm »

(click to show/hide)

Don't even talk about that ending big... now I'm upset.